Nintendo of America

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime

Reggie Fils-Aime

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, nice amenities on campus, great employees to work beside (but not necessarily to work for)"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Really smart, passionate people, work life balance encouraged, a place where balancing children and work might be more easy than other places"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Only part-time, no full-time offer in my location"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Incredibly toxic work environment where contractors are told in no uncertain terms that Nintendo does not think of them as people, let alone employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

One big family full of amazing people

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe culture differs somewhat from department to department, but I can give some general characteristics that probably apply throughout the company:

-Good benefits: there's good health care and dental care, generous bonuses, relatively high salaries, and a work-life balance that is extremely nice given the all-too-common overtime in the rest of the game industry. In general, I think the average employee at Nintendo has been there for 8 years or so, which is extremely long considering the high turnover rate of the industry.

-It's one big family: departments interact with each other a lot and by the time I left the company I had literally over a hundred friends there across various departments. Leaving the company was a very sentimental experience for me.

-Lots of amazing, smart people: Nintendo really does attract some of the best and brightest people from all types of professions. So many people have grown up loving Nintendo and their games, and a lot of these people end up applying to Nintendo when they get older. Odds are that if you're a game programmer, a professional writer, a Japanese translator, or a QA expert, at one point or another you've wondered what it's like to work for Nintendo. This means that the company's constantly attracting talent from all over the world--people who are not only in the top of their field, but who are lifelong fans. That's a big deal.

-The company wants employees to have fun: there are lots of interesting employee activities to keep up morale, like all-company parties, talks by various groups and creators in the company, and an annual video game tournament between offices. There's a built-in fitness center, a soccer field, a volleyball court, a basketball court, and a tennis court. The company, of course, is full of gamers; I recall a group of hardcore Mario Kart DS players who've been playing the game at lunch every single day for nearly a decade!

-You get to meet Mario!

ConsIt's an old company with lots of history: this can be both good and bad. Nintendo has been around since 1889, and it carries with it a rich legacy in the Japanese and worldwide entertainment industry. This gives it a strong reputation, powerful IP, and perhaps the industry's best collection of long-time creators and leaders. But at the same time, it makes for a fiscally and technologically conservative approach which can be at odds with younger, perhaps more adventurous-minded employees.

Working for a foreign parent company has its own unique challenges: if you're in America, at least, you'll be dealing with Nintendo in Japan, and the time difference and language barriers can make things tough. Even with all of the Japanese-English interpreters that Nintendo has, communicating business ideas across cultural boundaries takes a lot of time and careful thought. This can be difficult for people used to dealing only with colleagues who speak their own language.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the hard work.

Life at Nintendo of America

Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery diverse opportunities
Uniquie benifits
Good training opportunities
Family like culture

ConsLean opperation requires many different roles and responsibilities
Job growth is dependant on the state of the video game industry

Amazing company

Merchandising Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time for more than a year

ProsGood starting pay/opportunity for bonuses
Appreciate employees
Management communicates goals clearly
Free/early access to games and systems
Awesome culture

ConsDriving my own car
Not having a company phone

Amazing for the person grew up loving the classic video games.

Associate Game Tester (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Nintendo of America as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIt is Nintendo. I think that's enough reason to appreciate working. But seriously, they truly care about their employees and it is perfect to be on the inside scoop of releases before it happens.

ConsNo cons yet. I really loved working for this company although it was for a seasonal position.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to cater to the younger audiences, it is working!

My Dream Job

Product Tester (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you have a passion and love for the industry, this is the perfect place to work.

ConsAdvancment is slow, but doable as long as you work hard and continue to show self-improvment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk with your employees and implement what you can, but make sure the you show that you care about them and the company you both represent.

Good experience made better by the people I worked with.

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time

ProsGood department morale. Most people were very friendly and supportive of each other. Employees were enthusiastic about the products Nintendo puts out.

ConsSome departments are very structured and there is not much flexibility. Sometimes it is easy to feel lost in such a big corporation.

Great environment and people!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA high energy environment and fun-loving people. Management is open and encourages advancement opportunities. A great product that we all enjoy.

ConsTop-down communication can be lacking at times, as well as interdepartmental communication. Vacation time can be restrictive during the holidays due to seasonal sales periods.

Wonderful, creative work environment

I worked at Nintendo of America

ProsLoved working here and was sad to leave when my department was moved to NYC. Would jump a the opportunity to return if the right position was available.

NoA treats its employees extremely well. Great benefits, work/life ratio, and talented executives.

ConsCompensation. Nintendo is not competitive. As such, I'm sure they've lost some tremendous opportunities to hire very talented people.

Great company!!

Retail Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nintendo of America

ProsGreat Company!! Great Supervisor! Love working for large companies that treat you well!

ConsOnly part-time, no full-time offer in my location.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay, job is detailed and hard at times. Should be paying more for employees.

Excellent place to work!!

I worked at Nintendo of America

Location

ConsFew promotions from within
Few training opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide constructive criticism
Provide clear path for improvement
Provide performance expectations
Keep people who have integrity

Worked for Nintendo of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nintendo of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nintendo of America CEO Reggie Fils-Aime . All 63 reviews posted anonymously by Nintendo of America employees.