Nintendo of America

Updated December 22, 2014
2.9

Nintendo of America CEO Satoru Iwata
Satoru Iwata

Pros
  • Most of the time, work/life balance is not bad compared to other companies in the industry (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, nice amenities on campus, great employees to work beside (but not necessarily to work for) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't hire enough associates on as full time employees (in 4 reviews)

• There is very chance of getting hired and no room to grow within the company if you do (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Greatest company to work for

Former Employee - District Supervisor in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - District Supervisor in Providence, RI

I worked at Nintendo of America

Pros

Great leadership, tremendous family atmosphere. They provide multiple opportunities to succeed. They offer competitive salary along with benefits. I would recommend this company to everyone I come in contact with

Cons

No bad things to say about this company. They gave me a chance to build a tremendous career.

Less pressure on working weekend events.

An innovative and generous company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits at Nintendo are extremely generous. Not only do they offer a 401K plan, but also a pension. The longevity of the employees here is the highest I've seen. People choose to stay because of the wonderful people and management that you get to work for and with.

Cons

The flip-side of having longevity with the employees limits new ideas from being introduced and implemented.

Good Company

Former Employee - Finance in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Finance in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic Campus, parking garage is great!! Volleyball, soccer field. Gym downstairs, good people.

Cons

Slow to keep up with current technology. i.e mobile/digital gaming.

Have an open forum with employees and share their ideas for the future of the company. Employees are the backbone of the company. Their thoughts, ideas should be heard and put in effect.

There's a reason why people spend their entire career here.

Current Employee - Production Specialist in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Production Specialist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AMAZING benefits, bonuses twice a year, pension plan, it's Nintendo.

Cons

Japanese owned company. Lots of red tape and lost in translation frustration.

Need to seriously cross-train departments.

One big family full of amazing people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture differs somewhat from department to department, but I can give some general characteristics that probably apply throughout the company:

-Good benefits: there's good health care and dental care, generous bonuses, relatively high salaries, and a work-life balance that is extremely nice given the all-too-common overtime in the rest of the game industry. In general, I think the average employee at Nintendo has been there for 8 years or so, which is extremely long considering the high turnover rate of the industry.

-It's one big family: departments interact with each other a lot and by the time I left the company I had literally over a hundred friends there across various departments. Leaving the company was a very sentimental experience for me.

-Lots of amazing, smart people: Nintendo really does attract some of the best and brightest people from all types of professions. So many people have grown up loving Nintendo and their games, and a lot of these people end up applying to Nintendo when they get older. Odds are that if you're a game programmer, a professional writer, a Japanese translator, or a QA expert, at one point or another you've wondered what it's like to work for Nintendo. This means that the company's constantly attracting talent from all over the world--people who are not only in the top of their field, but who are lifelong fans. That's a big deal.

-The company wants employees to have fun: there are lots of interesting employee activities to keep up morale, like all-company parties, talks by various groups and creators in the company, and an annual video game tournament between offices. There's a built-in fitness center, a soccer field, a volleyball court, a basketball court, and a tennis court. The company, of course, is full of gamers; I recall a group of hardcore Mario Kart DS players who've been playing the game at lunch every single day for nearly a decade!

-You get to meet Mario!

Cons

It's an old company with lots of history: this can be both good and bad. Nintendo has been around since 1889, and it carries with it a rich legacy in the Japanese and worldwide entertainment industry. This gives it a strong reputation, powerful IP, and perhaps the industry's best collection of long-time creators and leaders. But at the same time, it makes for a fiscally and technologically conservative approach which can be at odds with younger, perhaps more adventurous-minded employees.

Working for a foreign parent company has its own unique challenges: if you're in America, at least, you'll be dealing with Nintendo in Japan, and the time difference and language barriers can make things tough. Even with all of the Japanese-English interpreters that Nintendo has, communicating business ideas across cultural boundaries takes a lot of time and careful thought. This can be difficult for people used to dealing only with colleagues who speak their own language.

Keep up the hard work.

Life at Nintendo of America

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very diverse opportunities
    Uniquie benifits
    Good training opportunities
    Family like culture

Cons

Lean opperation requires many different roles and responsibilities
    Job growth is dependant on the state of the video game industry

Amazing company

Current Employee - Merchandising Representative
    Current Employee - Merchandising Representative

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good starting pay/opportunity for bonuses
    Appreciate employees
    Management communicates goals clearly
    Free/early access to games and systems
    Awesome culture

Cons

Driving my own car
    Not having a company phone

Amazing for the person grew up loving the classic video games.

Former Employee - Associate Game Tester in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Game Tester in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nintendo of America as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It is Nintendo. I think that's enough reason to appreciate working. But seriously, they truly care about their employees and it is perfect to be on the inside scoop of releases before it happens.

Cons

No cons yet. I really loved working for this company although it was for a seasonal position.

Continue to cater to the younger audiences, it is working!

My Dream Job

Current Employee - Product Tester in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Product Tester in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you have a passion and love for the industry, this is the perfect place to work.

Cons

Advancment is slow, but doable as long as you work hard and continue to show self-improvment.

Talk with your employees and implement what you can, but make sure the you show that you care about them and the company you both represent.

Good experience made better by the people I worked with.

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time

Pros

Good department morale. Most people were very friendly and supportive of each other. Employees were enthusiastic about the products Nintendo puts out.

Cons

Some departments are very structured and there is not much flexibility. Sometimes it is easy to feel lost in such a big corporation.