Nintendo of America Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
90 reviews filtered by

Good benefits- Your experience may vary

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, competitive salary, casual corporate culture, Redmond campus has nice amenities, fun products.

Cons

I worked in two different departments, with vastly different experiences. Your VP, Director, and Manager will go a long way in determining if you like your job. A high percentage of management has been with the company for decades, which can be viewed as good or bad, and is probably a combination of both. Company runs very lean, so be prepared to put in extra hours when it gets busier. In my experience promotions were slow in coming, but again this varies from department to department. Many IT systems we used were outdated and clunky, but they were in the middle of a painfully slow upgrade process when I left so I can't say if that has improved or not. Discounts at the company store are not as good as you'll find at Microsoft or other video game companies. Be aware that contractor positions (testing, operations, contact center) do not carry nearly the same benefits or salary as a regular NOA employee.

Find a new strategy for the Wii U before those piles of cash evaporate away.

Okay company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

No opportunity for growth. Once you are in a role, that is where you stay.

There's a reason why people spend their entire career here.

Current Employee - Production Specialist in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Production Specialist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AMAZING benefits, bonuses twice a year, pension plan, it's Nintendo.

Cons

Japanese owned company. Lots of red tape and lost in translation frustration.

Need to seriously cross-train departments.

Fun in theory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time

Pros

Fun products and good people to work with and good work life balance

Cons

No growth opportunity, can't figure out what to change to adapt to changing consumer, LOTS of process issues

Need to up the morale and not just with rah-rah speeches

Quality Assurance

Former Contractor - Quality Assurance in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Quality Assurance in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Really awesome opportunities for overtime. You get to test games all day and sort of get an idea for game development life cycles. They definitely reward you for quality work and dedication to your job.

Cons

Sometimes feels like they will hire just about anyone for a QA position and length of a contract may not be entirely stable as a source of income.

Give more opportunities for advancement and permanent positions.

Intimidating, but overall fun and informative.

Current Contractor - Bilingual Product Specialist in Redmond, WA
    Current Contractor - Bilingual Product Specialist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Nintendo of America as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

great for entry level position, great people.

Cons

contractor seems inflexible with allowing for upward mobility/salary improvements.

Better hours

Micromanaged, overworked and bait /switch

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary was pretty competitive and there was the potential for a large yearly bonus - but I didn't expect to actually see a dime of it.

Cons

Health insurance was ridiculously expensive (> $550/month for the employee), extreme micromanagement was the norm, and work/life balance was absolutely non-existent (my management literally expected 14+ hour days). Absolutely terrible culture - toxic, hostile, and devoid of any redeeming qualities. Was repeatedly lied to during the interview and I felt a total bait/switch from when I interviewed to when I started and resigned shortly thereafter.

Good workers, management is lacking

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are great and have a positive attitude. The Hawaii house is an awesome benefit.

Cons

The management structure is based on promoting people for performing individual contributor tasks well, and as a result they don't lead/manage well. It can be very frustrating to work under people like this.

My advice with upper management is to re-shape the management structure. Stop micro-managing employees, allow people to help in making decisions, talk openly and frequently with your employees, teach your managers how to manage, and create a means of measuring management performance on the leadership level instead of just looking at numbers.

Great Great Pay!

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time

Pros

Challenging work, awesome benefits, great pay, fun people in most cases. Great location, flexible hours within reason and great exposure to international business styles.

Cons

lack of clarity, lack of clear expectations at times, favoritism, unfair review processes.

One big family full of amazing people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Nintendo of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture differs somewhat from department to department, but I can give some general characteristics that probably apply throughout the company:

-Good benefits: there's good health care and dental care, generous bonuses, relatively high salaries, and a work-life balance that is extremely nice given the all-too-common overtime in the rest of the game industry. In general, I think the average employee at Nintendo has been there for 8 years or so, which is extremely long considering the high turnover rate of the industry.

-It's one big family: departments interact with each other a lot and by the time I left the company I had literally over a hundred friends there across various departments. Leaving the company was a very sentimental experience for me.

-Lots of amazing, smart people: Nintendo really does attract some of the best and brightest people from all types of professions. So many people have grown up loving Nintendo and their games, and a lot of these people end up applying to Nintendo when they get older. Odds are that if you're a game programmer, a professional writer, a Japanese translator, or a QA expert, at one point or another you've wondered what it's like to work for Nintendo. This means that the company's constantly attracting talent from all over the world--people who are not only in the top of their field, but who are lifelong fans. That's a big deal.

-The company wants employees to have fun: there are lots of interesting employee activities to keep up morale, like all-company parties, talks by various groups and creators in the company, and an annual video game tournament between offices. There's a built-in fitness center, a soccer field, a volleyball court, a basketball court, and a tennis court. The company, of course, is full of gamers; I recall a group of hardcore Mario Kart DS players who've been playing the game at lunch every single day for nearly a decade!

-You get to meet Mario!

Cons

It's an old company with lots of history: this can be both good and bad. Nintendo has been around since 1889, and it carries with it a rich legacy in the Japanese and worldwide entertainment industry. This gives it a strong reputation, powerful IP, and perhaps the industry's best collection of long-time creators and leaders. But at the same time, it makes for a fiscally and technologically conservative approach which can be at odds with younger, perhaps more adventurous-minded employees.

Working for a foreign parent company has its own unique challenges: if you're in America, at least, you'll be dealing with Nintendo in Japan, and the time difference and language barriers can make things tough. Even with all of the Japanese-English interpreters that Nintendo has, communicating business ideas across cultural boundaries takes a lot of time and careful thought. This can be difficult for people used to dealing only with colleagues who speak their own language.

Keep up the hard work.