Nissan North America

Updated September 11, 2014
3.1

Nissan North America President & CEO Carlos Ghosn
Carlos Ghosn

Pros
  • The pay and benefits above average in a small town (in 4 reviews)

• Most employees are great people to work for and with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nonexistent regardless of what they may say in the interview process (in 8 reviews)

• My department at times lacks direction from upper management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Information Systems Intern

Former Employee - IS Consultant (Business Analyst)  in  Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - IS Consultant (Business Analyst) in Franklin, TN

I worked at Nissan North America as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Laid back and friendly atmosphere, hours are consistent and usually do not go over 40 a week

Cons

No promotion/bonus structure in place

Marketing Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Nissan North America as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Nissan HQ is a very professional atmosphere and 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM hours offered. It is also very convenient to the highway and to shopping.

Cons

It tends to be very Male oriented and no room to move up for women. The only two female Vice Presidents left the company last year. Difficult to find female mentors.

Make a path for external employees to become full time employees.

Lack of strategy

Former Employee - Manager  in  Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Nissan North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging, intricate and complex work. Great co-workers and community feel in the plant. Everyone works hard and is trying to do the right thing. Diversity and environmental awareness programs are nice to see.

Cons

Employee engagement is not a priority, nor is work life balance. A short sighted culture based on firefighting, blood, sweat and tears rather than strategic approach and planning ahead to minimize pain. Extremely frugal. trying to nab a piece of capital towards improvements is nearly impossible with growth in other segments.

High potential and high performing employees continuing to leave is a sign the culture, engagement, and personal development strategies need to be improved

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working hard and showing up everyday has left me with nothing but a bad taste.

Current Employee - Auto Technician  in  Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Auto Technician in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay isn’t that bad, but you will work for every penny.

Cons

Favoritism and Nepotism are a big problem. Poorly trained supervisors blame line employees for problems that are do to poor job set up and tools which don’t function correctly. I was blamed that a tool which functioned incorrectly and shut the line down even though i had been reporting the problem for several months, my supervisor never left there desk to check it out out. I was just harassed by a poorly trained lead until an Offline Tech had to run the job and realized it was broken. Supervision motivates by fear. The training is poor. They don’t every follow Nissan training standers, safety policies or working procedures. The benefits aren’t very good. Everyone there is angry. A hostile work environment is tolerated although they state zero tolerance on violence they sure don’t care about the behavior that leads up to violence. I have been at Nissan for a year working on the line for Yates. I have no write-ups and perfect attendants. I’m taking my time to look for a job I will be happier at, because this one isn’t good.

Your line employees are your greatest commodity treat them that way. Nissan is trying to recover from high turn over causing poor production in 2012 but they still aren’t getting the point. Oh and 18 months to be eligible for a full time Nissan employee is still to long, especially when the contact Techs are putting out more vehicles than Nissan Techs.

Great Company with minor flaws

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Above average pay than other companies in the area. Great people to work with. Benefits package decent, office culture depends what dept you work in.

Cons

Very hierarchical company, no accountability and work life balance is questionable. Career advancement is difficult, its who you know . No Transparency.

Listen to your people as they are the bee workers supporting your dept, bonus and the company.

2 years of good automotive learning experience with poor leadership and few rewards.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Nissan North America as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Company with a great history of making cars. If you like to travel, if you need automotive experience, or if you just need a job then this can fulfill that for you. Some great people work for Nissan. Learned how to not do a lot of things as a manager, engineer, or company. If you negotiate, pay for technical people can be pretty decent. Sales were up at last check but so are warranty claims.

Cons

Owned by Renault now. Cars no longer have Nissan quality, Extremely poor and greedy management based on who your family is, what school or church you attend, and not what you contribute. Ghosn's bonus is all that matters. The company was at times up to 90% contract, consultant, and temp worker in varying departments and won't invest in the company if it takes longer than 1 quarter payback. Turnover is extremely high (over 50% involuntary and voluntary) so workload gets shuffled around and dumped on the next guy. Whole departments can closed or transferred at a moment's notice, and your job description is rarely what you do. I was a consultant and got a base hour pay and no other benefits. This apparently varies by supplier with the preferred vendor Kelly Services getting the best perks.

I was told when I joined the company I would be doing automotive design cost optimization and travel up to 50% mostly local so I could attend grad school. The first week on the job I was sent to Mexico doing process improvement at a supplier. I traveled over 90% usually with very little notice, direction, or support. I was once sent to Wisconsin with no hotel booked for "two days", and ended up working 12 hours a night for 3 weeks straight. Another time I was sent to 4 different plants in Mexico over the course of a week. I traveled and worked from 4 am until 8 pm or later every night. I was poisoned by the food in the Aguascalientes plant and was left in a vehicle for 3 hours vomiting on myself as a director, 2 senior managers, a manager, and 1 other engineer shopped for souvenirs and tequila even after asking to go to the hotel. I lost 10 pounds and much of my dignity that weekend. They didn't pay me the over time owed claiming the travel should have been booked during working hours. I didn't book the travel my manager did, and when was I supposed to be at the plant?

I finally left after I was given a promotion and offered a chance to come on full time or be fired after 2 years, but I was told I would be taking a 15% pay cut instead of getting a 10% raise already scheduled for that review year. Yes you read that correctly. I was told I was losing my earned time off (they didn't like to pay overtime), not getting my merit increase, given a team leader position with a third of the department's target, and taking a 15% pay cut or be fired. I resigned the following day and enrolled in grad school full time.

Profit margin and market share goals of unrealistic proportions only hamper your company. Make a quality product for a reasonable price. Nissan used to be known for quality and I honestly can't say that anymore. Continuous and forced cost cutting leads to baking in costs up front, competitiveness internally, and the "blame game". Hire competent managers, and not your friends from Tennessee Tech or your family member. Invest in your company, invest in your employees, and treat them as employees and human beings.

Text Book Example of Bad Organizational Behavior

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The visible salary is very good, especially for Tennessee. However, some of the higher salary is offset by below-industry benefits. As an example, Nissan's HSA has a $2,500 deductible per person in your family. So if you are healthy with a family of 3 to hit a $7,500, you have to be pretty sick. Additionally, the raises are minimal (below inflation), even for who with excellent review, with year end bonus tied to unattainable performance targets.

Cons

1) There a huge culture of finger pointing, as such people are more worried about defending and blaming others than with real work.
    2) There a lack of accountability or incorrect accountability. People constantly get blamed for things they have absolutely no control over. As example, marketing is responsible for short term sales, but marketing isn't given any tools to improve sales (sales staff control, incentives, etc.). Sales is responsible for Overall Opinion, while not having control over advertising or customer service.
    3) Unattainable objectives. Nissan set sales objective beyond the actual production capacity so that the executives can look tough, but it destroys employee morale. Nissan aims to turn over 10% of "bad" dealers every year, killing relationship with dealers. All of this is for the executives to look good to the CEO.
    4) Hostile work relationships between/within departments. Because all of the finger pointing and accountability. No one wants to take on any responsibilities and hold information close to chest. As such, fire drills come at the last minute.
    5) Mismanagement of talent. "High potential" talents get "stretch" assignments, but in reality they just get plugged into the worst performing organization without any resources, perpetually. The best people purposely underperform to not be pinned as "high potential". As a result, the organization is becoming extremely low performing, since all the "high potentials" are underperforming on purpose or leaving the company (attribution even at Senior Vice President level).
    6) Extremely political. Playing politics and hanging on to the right coat tail is the only way to progress up the organization. The top management are extremely inept, and are a bunch of "yes" people.
    7) Company is extremely short term focused. The success of the company is completely build on past investments. The company will sell off raw materials at the end of the year, delay payments to suppliers, delay bonus payments, etc. in order to hit extremely aggressive profit targets. It is reminiscent of pre-bankruptcy GM and Chrysler. There is no long term future for Nissan.

You'd better be comfortable with Ghosn's 'healthy tension'.

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time

Pros

Challenging work. Fast paced by automaker standards. Lightly staffed means there are many opportunities to influence the business.

Cons

You'd better be ready to fight for your position. Nissan is built on a concept of 'healthy tension', meaning each team is 'checked' by other teams somewhere in the business. Many times you feel like the organization isn't one single team. Indeed it is not, by design.

Specifically for Franklin, you're not the only game in town. Retaining talent will only grow more challenging.

Decent Benefits, Limited promotional opportunities

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time

Pros

Nissan offers great medical benefits and a car allowance for Sr. Analyst positions and above. Depending on the department, rotational assignments are available.

Cons

Political environment. It's not always what you know but who likes you that gets you promoted. Other than a few great benefits, Nissan's total compensation package is not competitive to what other companies are offering.

Employees need a career plan and the opportunity for promotions. Employees need a reason to come to work other than a paycheck.

A Rotten Apple Spoils the Whole Bunch

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The base compensation is slightly above average for TN, but do not expect much bonus even if the company is having record profits.

Cons

Culture of suck ups: HR will tell you that Nissan is a matrixed organization, and they value individuals who can network well. As a culture, this translates a culture of “yes” managers and executives, who are eager to please superiors at all cost, but do no value added work in actuality. Those who work hard do not get growth opportunities because they will be the only ones in their department doing anything, and are saddled with all the work. Their department will do everything in its power to block lateral or vertical movement. People are more focused on pushing work to other than trying to deliver results.

Culture of short-term thinking: Nissan will do everything in its power hit its short term numbers, including delaying key purchases until post-fiscal year, delaying/renege on contract, etc. As a result, there is absolutely no long term investment. I worry about the survival of Nissan 5 years in the future. I reminds of me GM and Chrysler during the Great Recession.

Worked for Nissan North America? Contribute to the Community!