Nissan North America

Updated September 26, 2014
3.1

Nissan North America President & CEO Carlos Ghosn
Carlos Ghosn

Pros
  • Some great people work for Nissan (in 7 reviews)

• The pay and benefits above average in a small town (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nonexistent regardless of what they may say in the interview process (in 10 reviews)

• My department at times lacks direction from upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Detail Worker

Current Employee - DETAIL WORKER  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - DETAIL WORKER in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Nissan North America part-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to work with car all day.

Cons

There is none if you area hard worker.

It is as good as it is.

i have good experience at Nissan

I have been working at Nissan North America

Pros

Good Employee Benfits and culture

Cons

i dont see any cons

Great employee vehicle lease program. Terrible employee development.

Former Employee - Specialist  in  Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Specialist in Franklin, TN

I worked at Nissan North America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great employee vehicle lease program.

Cons

HR is for benefits only. Ignorant about true employee development programs. The plant tends to string along temporary workers or outsource, to avoid providing benefits.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Room to advance due to shop requirements for Technician Experience. Low moral

Current Employee - Automotive Technician  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Automotive Technician in Portland, OR

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you make an effort to excel you will get compensated but there is a limit to advancing. Warranty pays better than most other manufactures.

Cons

Management does not care about the "little guy." Good Automotive Technician's are extremely under appreciated and they are not easy to come by. Over worked and under paid. Physically demanding and no reward for working harder. Expectations are too high.

Sales is not everything in a dealership atmosphere. Service is a major part of being a successful company and under appreciating the service rolls brings moral down. Service should have bonus programs just like sales does.

Marketing Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Nissan North America as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Nissan HQ is a very professional atmosphere and 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM hours offered. It is also very convenient to the highway and to shopping.

Cons

It tends to be very Male oriented and no room to move up for women. The only two female Vice Presidents left the company last year. Difficult to find female mentors.

Make a path for external employees to become full time employees.

Information Systems Intern

Former Employee - IS Consultant (Business Analyst)  in  Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - IS Consultant (Business Analyst) in Franklin, TN

I worked at Nissan North America as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Laid back and friendly atmosphere, hours are consistent and usually do not go over 40 a week

Cons

No promotion/bonus structure in place

Great Company with minor flaws

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Above average pay than other companies in the area. Great people to work with. Benefits package decent, office culture depends what dept you work in.

Cons

Very hierarchical company, no accountability and work life balance is questionable. Career advancement is difficult, its who you know . No Transparency.

Listen to your people as they are the bee workers supporting your dept, bonus and the company.

2 years of good automotive learning experience with poor leadership and few rewards.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Nissan North America as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Company with a great history of making cars. If you like to travel, if you need automotive experience, or if you just need a job then this can fulfill that for you. Some great people work for Nissan. Learned how to not do a lot of things as a manager, engineer, or company. If you negotiate, pay for technical people can be pretty decent. Sales were up at last check but so are warranty claims.

Cons

Owned by Renault now. Cars no longer have Nissan quality, Extremely poor and greedy management based on who your family is, what school or church you attend, and not what you contribute. Ghosn's bonus is all that matters. The company was at times up to 90% contract, consultant, and temp worker in varying departments and won't invest in the company if it takes longer than 1 quarter payback. Turnover is extremely high (over 50% involuntary and voluntary) so workload gets shuffled around and dumped on the next guy. Whole departments can closed or transferred at a moment's notice, and your job description is rarely what you do. I was a consultant and got a base hour pay and no other benefits. This apparently varies by supplier with the preferred vendor Kelly Services getting the best perks.

I was told when I joined the company I would be doing automotive design cost optimization and travel up to 50% mostly local so I could attend grad school. The first week on the job I was sent to Mexico doing process improvement at a supplier. I traveled over 90% usually with very little notice, direction, or support. I was once sent to Wisconsin with no hotel booked for "two days", and ended up working 12 hours a night for 3 weeks straight. Another time I was sent to 4 different plants in Mexico over the course of a week. I traveled and worked from 4 am until 8 pm or later every night. I was poisoned by the food in the Aguascalientes plant and was left in a vehicle for 3 hours vomiting on myself as a director, 2 senior managers, a manager, and 1 other engineer shopped for souvenirs and tequila even after asking to go to the hotel. I lost 10 pounds and much of my dignity that weekend. They didn't pay me the over time owed claiming the travel should have been booked during working hours. I didn't book the travel my manager did, and when was I supposed to be at the plant?

I finally left after I was given a promotion and offered a chance to come on full time or be fired after 2 years, but I was told I would be taking a 15% pay cut instead of getting a 10% raise already scheduled for that review year. Yes you read that correctly. I was told I was losing my earned time off (they didn't like to pay overtime), not getting my merit increase, given a team leader position with a third of the department's target, and taking a 15% pay cut or be fired. I resigned the following day and enrolled in grad school full time.

Profit margin and market share goals of unrealistic proportions only hamper your company. Make a quality product for a reasonable price. Nissan used to be known for quality and I honestly can't say that anymore. Continuous and forced cost cutting leads to baking in costs up front, competitiveness internally, and the "blame game". Hire competent managers, and not your friends from Tennessee Tech or your family member. Invest in your company, invest in your employees, and treat them as employees and human beings.

Working hard and showing up everyday has left me with nothing but a bad taste.

Current Employee - Auto Technician  in  Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Auto Technician in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay isn’t that bad, but you will work for every penny.

Cons

Favoritism and Nepotism are a big problem. Poorly trained supervisors blame line employees for problems that are do to poor job set up and tools which don’t function correctly. I was blamed that a tool which functioned incorrectly and shut the line down even though i had been reporting the problem for several months, my supervisor never left there desk to check it out out. I was just harassed by a poorly trained lead until an Offline Tech had to run the job and realized it was broken. Supervision motivates by fear. The training is poor. They don’t every follow Nissan training standers, safety policies or working procedures. The benefits aren’t very good. Everyone there is angry. A hostile work environment is tolerated although they state zero tolerance on violence they sure don’t care about the behavior that leads up to violence. I have been at Nissan for a year working on the line for Yates. I have no write-ups and perfect attendants. I’m taking my time to look for a job I will be happier at, because this one isn’t good.

Your line employees are your greatest commodity treat them that way. Nissan is trying to recover from high turn over causing poor production in 2012 but they still aren’t getting the point. Oh and 18 months to be eligible for a full time Nissan employee is still to long, especially when the contact Techs are putting out more vehicles than Nissan Techs.

Lack of strategy

Former Employee - Manager  in  Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Nissan North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging, intricate and complex work. Great co-workers and community feel in the plant. Everyone works hard and is trying to do the right thing. Diversity and environmental awareness programs are nice to see.

Cons

Employee engagement is not a priority, nor is work life balance. A short sighted culture based on firefighting, blood, sweat and tears rather than strategic approach and planning ahead to minimize pain. Extremely frugal. trying to nab a piece of capital towards improvements is nearly impossible with growth in other segments.

High potential and high performing employees continuing to leave is a sign the culture, engagement, and personal development strategies need to be improved

Nissan North America Photos

Franklin TN Headquarters
Smynra Aerial Photo
Sign outside of Nissan Design America, located at 9800 Campus Point Drive, San Diego, CA?
Outside of Nissan Design America offices, located at 9800 Campus Point Drive, San Diego, CA?

+ Add Photo

Worked for Nissan North America? Contribute to the Community!