Nissan North America

Updated January 28, 2015
3.1

Nissan North America President & CEO Carlos Ghosn
Carlos Ghosn

Pros
  • Some great people work for Nissan (in 7 reviews)

• The pay and benefits above average in a small town (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nonexistent regardless of what they may say in the interview process (in 11 reviews)

• My department at times lacks direction from upper management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Glad I made the career change

I have been working at Nissan North America

Pros

The upper management has high expectations but are fair. I have found a lot of room for growth and am happy with the job

Cons

Like most automotive companies there are is a tiered work force. This creates some problems and challenges in managing the different groups.

They take care of you if you give it your all.

Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Nissan North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay rates, vehicle discounts, safe work environment.

Cons

Strenuous work, tedious repetitive processes.

As far as I can tell, it's a great job if that is what one is looking for. It was a good place to work.

Very good company for passionate people

Current Employee - New Model Engineer in Smyrna, GA
    Current Employee - New Model Engineer in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience with Nissan was very positive because it fit my personality. I believe in working hard and getting paid for the extra energy put in. As an engineer, there was no shortage of work to be completed and my coworkers were great.

Cons

The cons that I would see would be the difficulty in maintaining a work-life balance. It was not a problem for me, but that was the complaint that I heard the most. Understanding that this position was based on a cycle that required many long days and weeks for a time and then leveled off to a break was very important

Work harder to get/give the funding necessary to allow your people to provide the results you want. I feel like so much extra had to be put in to offset poor planning and funding by the top tier of the company that it makes it very difficult to be successful.

Standard US manufacturing

Current Employee - Line Worker in Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Line Worker in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work.
    Reasonable pay and great benefits.
    Management emphasizes active participation to improve jobs and processes.
    Relative job security.
    Diverse work force.

Cons

No incentive to try harder.
    Major disconnect between line workers and management.
    Poor communication between departments.
    Facility is showing it's age.
    3-shift nonstop work schedule is taking toll on facility.

Work harder to maintain morale. Workers are more efficient when they are happy or at least content. Must move away from outdated managerial techniques and good-ole-boy system of job placement and advancement. Keep supervisors and managers more accountable to they're decisions.

Decent place to work,limited career growth

I have been working at Nissan North America

Pros

Great work environment,the people become like family. The company has started encouraging education which is good accept they require you to stay three years post degree.

Cons

The company is very contradicting as far as what positions require a degree. Before the big educational push there were some higher ups in the company who lack in education. So positions that require a degree still being held by individuals w/o education. For individuals with education, its is hard to promote because these people are not retiring anytime soon and honestly couldn't go anywhere else because they are lacking a 4 yr degree. Another big Con is once management has an opinion of your it can be hard to promote.

Either make the employees in positions that require a degree to go back to school or step down.

10 years of experience

I have been working at Nissan North America

Pros

cross-regional training experiences to develop your career

Cons

eventually most jobs become lateral with limitations to grow your salary

need to have better work-life balance options (work from home, etc).

Stressful.....great for a workaholic..... Well compensated

I have been working at Nissan North America

Pros

Good people ...... Good money. A great place to learn Maufacturing skills

Cons

Work long hours and many weekends ( which your paid well for)

To much of a workload to be an effective supervisor. Many times it is hard to find true root cause to a problem because your to busy with a 100 others. ( like a snowball effect but the problem is on your first day of work you are already half way down the mountain)

Tough culture

Current Employee - Director in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Director in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great business
    Full of smart people

Cons

Very negative culture created by the most senior management now trickling down to others.

Too short-term focused. Bad behavior is encouraged and celebrated. Teamwork is not a strength. Need to win in business and be human to each other in the office.

Good product, risky business, out dated management

Current Employee - Automotive Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Automotive Sales Representative

I have been working at Nissan North America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nissan has developed lasting reputation in longevity that is coming close to it s competitors Honda and Toyota.

Cons

Todays customers are more informed and aware on tactics and cost for cars

Grow or Go...

Left a bad taste in my mouth

Former Employee - Analyst in Smyrna, TN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Smyrna, TN

I worked at Nissan North America as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Better than average pay for area
    -Benefits are good but shrinking
    -Great resume building experience. Get in and get out to something better.
    -Lots of high-impact projects
    -Potential to move up the corporate ladder, if you want to work there for the rest of your life

Cons

I previously gave this company a favorable review, however I was essentially forced to leave the company.

-Work-life balance is abysmal. Expect to work 60 hours every week if you are at Smyrna. Overtime is expected, and production schedules will often change at the last minute to require more work.
    -Lots of firefighting. Project management is non-existent. Just throw your work over the wall to the next department and hope they figure it out. Somebody else will clean up the mess by working 80 hour weeks. Some say the company is constantly in "crisis" mode. This is why.
    -Travel required for some positions. Trips outside the office often continue for much longer than originally estimated. Some managers try to (illegally) not pay for travel time.
    -Tech systems are ancient and outdated. Lots of investment in technology is desperately needed. The company runs on Excel and email. Common information between departments are out of sync as a result.
    -Lots of focus on micro-management rather than output. The time you show up for work each day, the exact number of minutes you spend at lunch, and internet activity is scrutinized over the value added by your time.
    -The company touts process improvement as a mantra of Japanese manufacturing, but rarely practices it. Work harder, not smarter.
    -Business planning is often unrealistic. All employees are blamed at the end of the year when profit targets are not met, then punished by not receiving a bonus and working a 7 day production schedule.
    -Reactive culture: if a mistake happens, there's lots of blame games and finger pointing. Then a "solution" is identified that requires more work without more people. Again, work harder, not smarter. No reward for doing it right. Only punishment for doing it wrong.
    -Contract employees make up a majority of the workforce, both on the production line and in the office. However they should never expect to go permanent. There is no visibility as to what qualifies anyone to make the transition. Some employees are still on contract after 5+ years.

-Need to focus on something besides cost-cutting and profit-margins. That only leads to warranty claims and overtime. It's a self-defeating cycle.
    -Need more employee feedback. If this website tells you anything, it's that high performers are either leaving or under-performing because they are over-worked and their input is under-valued.
    -Need to get the company on the same page across the different locations. Everyone has different information. Nobody knows what is going on unless they spend hours and hours on teleconferences with different departments.
    -Need to allow for process improvement. Fixing it permanently rather than slapping a band-aid on it will lead to better performance, less burnout, and lower costs.

Nissan North America Photos