Nissan Technical Center North America

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
3.1

Motohiro Matsumura

Nissan is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Nissan Technical Center North America

Pros

NTCNA has flexible hours, open dialog with upper management, transparency of business plans. It is a lean company, which provides numerous opportunities to grow and advance.

Cons

This is a global company, it requires regular discussion with our counterparts in Japan. This day to day communication can be difficult at times, both from a timing standpoint and from a language standpoint.

Keep up the good work leading the company.

Value the contract employees more

Current Employee - Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Nissan Technical Center North America as a contractor

Pros

There is always opportunities to learn new stuff. However, as contractors, you still have limited exposure to the advanced technologies.

Cons

Very hard to advance your personal careers. Too many contractors at one location. No fair treating to the contractors.

Provide more opportunities for your employees.

Sr. Project Design Engineer

I worked at Nissan Technical Center North America (more than 8 years)

Pros

Let me think about that.....??? My judgement is clouded by so many negative things going for this facility.
    If you force me, I guess, nice directors parking lot, but others can't park.

Cons

in simple term, worst place to work. You need explanation, I dare you to join NTCNA-FH and experience it the first hand.

Be a leader, not a micro manager - go here go there type. You want to gain NTC's (japan office) respect, stand-up for your NTCNA employees in all aspect. Build your local designing capability, stop this design handover thing and let regional engineers design for regional customer because they know their customer best. It might not make sense from globalization point of view, but it makes from pure common sense and value. Don't forget the golden goose rule!a

Great place to grow up, but has changed over time.

Former Employee - Body Systems Design in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Body Systems Design in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Nissan Technical Center North America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long hours/Paid OT. I worked for 15 years in the Body Engineering area. Spent many weekends and late nights designing vehicles from nearly blank sheets. The older "get it done" attitude has left the place and is more sporadic among the younger workers. Moved to another company that is like NTCNA 15 years ago.

Cons

Lot's of talent has left in the last few years. Top management was shuffled and the company has seen a mass exodus to other OEMS. Probably has left the workload even higher.

Need to pay competitively and try to keep the workers that do the job well.

Hot and Cold in Various Ways

Former Employee - Release Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Release Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Nissan Technical Center North America as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, accessible upper management, generally sensible and thoughtful approach to business. Better attitude about product quality than some other OEMs I'd worked for. I liked and respected their cars before I worked there and still do (driving one now). Reasonable potential for advancement if you fit their desired attitudinal profile (which I did not, but management never made me feel excluded because of that). Engineers are given a lot of responsibility and expectations are high, but help is generally available if you are willing to ask for it. The company's global attitude is educational. The people are generally good, easy to work with, friendly and accessible.

Cons

Few training opportunities. The company's data systems are complicated, which means that the training which they do offer covers numerous facets quickly, and you're ultimately left to figure things out on your own even after you've taken one of the too-rare classes.
    Company is understaffed: I often felt I had enough work for 2.5 people. Never seemed to be enough time to get things done properly and completely; instead, usually got just enough done to move on and put out the next fire. Not unusual for people to put in many OT hours; you can get paid for the OT if it's in the budget, but even if you're not paid the OT is expected as a sign of your commitment.
    Working as a contractor can be discouraging. Two levels of contractors on-site: Us and Them. If you're one of Us, you get a real cubicle and you're basically treated as a fellow employee by management and your colleagues. If you're one of Them (as I was, with many others) you get a desk jammed side-by-side in a row with several others, with another row just like it facing you and another behind you: it was like being in a secretarial pool, with no privacy, no walls, and very little space you could imagine was your own. If you and the engineer behind you both wanted to stand up at the same time, your chairs would crash into each other. I found that working arrangement demeaning and discouraging. Nearly impossible to do any quality thinking under these circumstances, though there's probably a certain type of mindset (A-type, laser focus despite continuous distractions, ability to carry many facts in your head and shift gears instantaneously under any circumstances, no outside interests) that flourishes under conditions like these.

Management is already aware of what improvements should be made.

My experience at NTCNA has been a beneficial in gaining a lot of experience.

I have been working at Nissan Technical Center North America

Pros

Personal growth, great environment, team atmosphere, great people, opportunity

Cons

Stressful at times, depending on the position there is little or no solid training

Great learning, but difficult amount of work load.

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

Great Pay, good benefits, including car purchase discounts and generally a place where there is a lot of chance to learn about vehicle development.

Cons

Highly stress with 12 hours days and weekend work being the norm. Family life will suffer.

Copy lacks foresight and long term planning

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Stanfield, AZ
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Stanfield, AZ

I have been working at Nissan Technical Center North America as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

good place to gain experience. Can actually drive vehicles.

Cons

Company lacks foresight, creating a lot of the emergencies the inevitably come up. Employees are not a priority. Cost reduction rule the day which eventually cause problems that cost more to fix than the cost reductions. Poor corporate culture. Lack of accountability and integrity.

Spend money up front to save money on the back end. Make employees a priority.

Good Place to Work

Former Employee - CAD Designer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - CAD Designer in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

Leadership, benefits, time-off policies were exceptionally better ten+ years ago.
    Today employees are getting shafted with out pocket expenses.

Cons

Work life, balance, office culture are okay, promotions are only given to the employees that are the managers favorites. They do performance reviews without the employee even being there to defend there position. They let you go the whole year without discussing if you are not working at your potential.

Work-life balance needs to improve, should allow flex time as flex time is meant to be. Promotions, managers need to perform the PDM through the year, letting employee go all year without any conversation whether they are performing at meeting requirement's or not.

IT Analysist

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Nissan Technical Center North America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Best & Good place to work

Cons

Nothing much to add in Cons side

Keep the good work!!