Nitro

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Nitro CEO Sam Chandler

Sam Chandler

No place to work.

ProsThey spend money to get you drunk often.

ConsNo clue what they are doing and leaders are not experienced enough to be in their positions.

Why come here?

ProsNothing to report at all.

ConsNeeds help to keep going.

Is there a negative star rating option?

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAlcohol on premise to numb the pain of having to work at this sweat shop.

ConsDon't be fooled by the glowing reviews. Nitro had their administrative assistants and their internal recruiters write all the positive reviews to lure in more suckers. By having an artificially high star rating its easier for the internal recruiters to get more candidates to interview and accept positions they will ultimately regret 1 month after starting work.

They fire people often here, high turnover. Micromanaging.

Very cramped work spaces. No promoting from within. Unrealistic goals driven by an out of touch executive team. Long hours, no working from home. Taking time off is strongly discouraged.

Micromanaging.

Their tagline: No B*llsh#*. Real tagline: All B*llsh#*!

Did I mention micromanaging?

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and make changes before the mass exodus out of Nitro begins.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disorganized but energetic company offering g a discount solution

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYoung, fun group of employees

ConsUnfocused and disorganized business and management

World class company for a World class city

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThis place rocks, great work atmosphere...awesome people, still booming. It's not high pressure, they understand that people have lives.
    On-boarding was awesome. The solution pretty much sells itself....
    lots of perks...

Conswish we could spend more $ on advertisement, so people could see how great Nitro is.

Advice to Senior Managementspend more $ on advertisement, so people could see how great Nitro is.
    Billboards, buses, trade shows...

Awesome place, awesome people, awesome vibe.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsLaid back, nice company. Great people to work with.

ConsFrantic at times, under resourced.

Work with a great crew of positive people on cool projects.

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Growth.

ConsChaotic at times within projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep building us!

Interview process for Enterprise AE Role

Account Executive (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsProcess was very straightforward and I was kept up to date about what was happening and next steps in the process at all times. Everyone who I dealt with was an ambassador for the company and the energy and positivity was most certainly a reason for my accepting the offer

ConsNone as such however it was quite a long process although reassuringly so. Really looking forward to getting started in Nitro!

More excited about coming to work every single day

Co-Founder (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI am a long time employee of Nitro. Yesterday I was reminded of how far we have come when we presented our annual Sean Stewart Values Award and we had over 130 Nitronauts to consider when voting.

I thought it appropriate to share part of what this award means to the team at Nitro. Here is an excerpt from a note our CEO sends to the team each year to announce that voting is open:

============

Sean was a great Nitronaut and a great friend to many of us. He was one of the very first members of the original team. He initially worked in support and product management, and who subsequently went on to establish our direct and channel Enterprise business in Europe. When he passed away in March 2010 in London he was the highest-performing sales executive at Nitro, and the most amazing ambassador for our culture that you could find. Even though he had long established himself as a sales guy, he continued to help out with support, QA, and anything he felt he could contribute to. He was always a pleasure to deal with, probably the nicest person you ever met, super hard working, passionate about Nitro, knew the product inside and out, and had the results on the board to prove how talented he was. He was also the master of well-timed, but completely inappropriate jokes

Aside from his contribution at Nitro, Sean was a truly inspiring human being, who was the founder of and bass player for HTRK. As an artist, he was one of the best. HTRK supported the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Horrors on their European tours and had record deals in Berlin and London. Sean was a genuine rockstar – so when we talk about “rockstars” at Nitro, we really mean it…

When Sean passed away, we wanted to find a way to remember him properly. The result was the Sean Stewart Values Award. Four years on, it is a really big deal to those of us who knew him, and to his family, with whom we stay in touch. We send photos of the awards ceremony to his mother, father and sister each year.

============

Just like any start-up we've faced hurdles and had to work our way through them.

Nitro has grown more rapidly in the last year than any previous year. While it is easy to read about culture and plan to build something unique, it is never that easy. Right now though, I feel like we have just discovered the secret sauce!

We are now at a point where we are adding smarter and better people every day, increasing our production capacity and having more and more fun while doing it.

Sean will always be a part of who we are.

ConsThe only thing I have been wary of recently is having our cultural mix change with new additions. Somehow though, each new person is adding to the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep trying to spread the load and honoring what the team, past and present, has built.

Nitro talent ambassador responded to this review

May 2, 2014

Thanks so much, appreciate you taking the time to write this review. Loving having you here at Nitro!

Nitro - Setting new benchmarks everywhere

ProsNitro is, quite simply, like no other. From the very first moment of the interview process you are introduced to the unique and colourful company spirit. Work hard, play hard. If you believe in what you do and you are looking for an opportunity to grow and advance, then this is the place for you.

ConsThat's a good question... I don't have one.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the magic!

Worked for Nitro? Contribute to the Community!