Nitro Reviews

Reset
3.9
Nitro CEO Sam Chandler
Sam Chandler

Pros
  • There are truly great people who work here- passionate, caring, enthusiastic (in 6 reviews)

• Terrific opportunity to grow within an ever growing industry (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Having a small team spread over three continents mean delays in getting questions answered by the right people (in 2 reviews)

• It felt like a high school cafeteria and very clique like (in 2 reviews)

High growth potential for company and career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Nitro has a lot of fun, hard-working people. It's been go-go-go since I started but all in the spirit of lofty (but achievable) goals. There's a lot of mentorship for those who seek it, and no shortage of learning opportunities as well. Results alone are highly valued, and great results (not tenure) lead to promotions. Very much a "Silicon Valley" company with all the perks: free drinks, free lunches, yoga, parties, etc. There's a palpable excitement around Nitro's growth, and I'm personally excited to be here at this stage. There's a unique amount of visibility and access to the executive level; feels more like an open-door policy than other companies I've been at. Extroverted people will see more success here. Grab lunch with your coworkers, get involved with extracurriculars, find your crew, etc.

Cons

Most of the cons are by-products of the pros above. The go-go-go attitude can leave some in the dust, resulting in a bit more churn than I'm used to. Although it seems like these are largely growing pains as Nitro finds a new foothold and expands the company in new ways after its funding. A departure (layoff or otherwise) of a coworker can sometimes come as a surprise. Introverted people here will have a harder time. Help tends to be reserved for those who ask; if you don't ask, you probably won't be helped. Also, in the same way that good results are rewarded swiftly, poor results seem to be met with equal swiftness.

Advice to Management

Put more value on 1:1 mentorship (expand the Nitro-mate program beyond the first day).

Beware Upper Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nitro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Most employees are fantastic people to work with and genuinely enjoy working there + They actively encourage community volunteering + There is beer everywhere!

Cons

- There is a substantial amount of drama and backstabbing that goes on in upper management that trickles down to employees, creating distrust - Many times, people are left in the dark about what is going on - Managers do not seem to be there because they are competent, but rather because they know how to play the political games that seem to be ongoing

Advice to Management

Overall, you guys need to really look at who is running things in this company, including how the CEO and COO are having an impact on the overall business.

Do not apply

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good place to drink alcohol for free.

Cons

High turnover from Sr. positions down. Lost several VP's over the last 3 years and very skilled employees who were blamed for management's lack of experience. Just an overall bad place to work, no focus, not going anywhere, and they need an exit strategy ASAP or they will crash.

Advice to Management

Hire skilled people and let them do their jobs. Too many promotions for people who should not be there.

Good Comany

Former Employee - N/A in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - N/A in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Welcoming culture and always have something to do. I loved working here. Made a lot of new friends and learned a lot

Cons

Can be overwhelming at times. Need a more work life balance but overall it was solid environment.

A great company with a bright future

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nitro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nitro is a great company to work for. Located in the heart of downtown San Francisco, Nitro has an amazing office and is close to muni and bart stations. From the outside they may not appear to be a tech startup, but they have regular tech meetups and an occasional hackathon...typically focused around the Scala community. Also, they have regular employee social events, so you feel like you are part of a community.

Cons

One word of caution, they do have high expectations and while they provide quite a bit of support to new employees. This isn't the type of place where you can expect to coast through day-to-day unnoticed. For me, personally, this was fine. However I recognize that it's not suitable for all people.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is, keep to your core values. Remember past successes and continue to build on them. My belief is that lessons learned on the journey are worth more than the realization of reaching a particular goal or achievement.

Stay Away if you have any experience in Software

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

Pros

None to really report

Cons

lack of vision and truly understand what it takes to run a well define start-up

Advice to Management

replace entire management staff with people that have built software companies in the past

My recommendation: Stay a year, get experience, then go somewhere else.

I worked at Nitro full-time

Pros

Nitro is a company that, at its best, is clearly going somewhere, and the company does have a number of well-intentioned, highly intelligent people. Sadly, these are the people with whom you’ll work, not for whom you’ll work. On the bright side, every position has room for professional growth, there are truly incredible benefits and perks, and the office environment (minus the middle managers) is lovely. I definitely left having learned something, so the experience wasn’t wasted on me, but I can’t imagine staying in such a toxic workplace longer than a year - not to mention the laughable "competitive salary."

Cons

The C-Level executive team is inspiring on the whole, but leave much to be desired in their selection and training of middle managers, and as a result there is very high turnover. Great management is an art that is, apparently, largely undervalued here. In my experience, customer success managers were in place primarily due to favoritism; creative managers were vindictive and manipulative; marketing managers were self-serving and meddlesome; and sales managers didn’t stay long enough to improve above poor. Most complaints to the C-levels fall on deaf ears, so don’t expect change any time soon.

Unique and inspiring culture, big product vision, lots of growth

I have been working at Nitro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far the the most caring/genuine/authentic culture I have ever experienced but focused on performance. Big on product vision, amazing offices in downtown SF, international feel and international team, growing fast, just received big investement by top venture capital firm Battery Ventures. You will not meet a nicer but more driven bunch of folks anywhere. Lots of opportunities to grow your career, travel internationally, do different things. Serious benefits and perk program for a mid-sized company.

Cons

Company has always been bootstrapped until raising $15m from US VCs this quarter and has acted like a bootstrapped company, not spending enough where it needs to on things like marketing budget or experienced execs. But I think this is changing with the big investment. Also, if you are expecting to coast or take it easy, Nitro is not for you. Management seems to take a hard line when it doesn't see performance.

Advice to Management

We need more experienced individual contributors and middle managers. Now that you've raised a big pile of cash, go find the best people in all the roles where you see gaps. Also, please don't lose the authentic Aussie work-hard no BS culture that Silicon Valley location and investment may try and change!

Great place to work with sharp, dedicated people.

Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nitro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone is transparent and truly owns issues. My experience is if there is a problem, the conversation goes right to finding solutions, not pointing blame. The staff here knows how to have fun and no one takes themselves too seriously. I am constantly challenged by the caliber of talent assembled at Nitro.

Cons

None come to mind. The work environment is an open floor plan with everyone (including management) working in a large room with multiple tables. Not for everyone, but it does promote collaboration.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. You have created a very creative work atmosphere.

Great culture with meaningful values (High Performance, Be Good, No Bullsh*t) and a great place to learn!

I have been working at Nitro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nitro is unique in that it's rare to find a company that truly lives up to its core values. It's a really exciting time to be at the company too. We've just closed a round of funding, the product vision is more exciting than ever, and the team here are some of the best, most talented people I've ever worked with. There are also really great growth and career opportunities for those who are willing to put in the hard work to learn and move up. It also feels like everyone wants to be here, irrespective of their role, which I think speaks volumes.

Cons

Things are changing quickly as we scale and the company has definitely experienced growing pains, but it's all normal stuff and part of growing a business. It's a fast-paced work environment that's not for everyone but I find it very rewarding. Communication across departments could be better, but this has improved lately.

Advice to Management

Continue to protect the culture and our values, to develop talent and promote from within and be as transparent as possible about growth plans and the vision for the future. Keep up the great work!

RSS Feed </> Embed