Nixle LLC

Nixle LLC Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Eric Liu

Great atmosphere, strong team, dynamic product

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsStart-up atmosphere, from team lunches twice a week to ping pong all day. The culture is what makes this place so fun to work at. Strong presence in the space, and taking clients away from competitors on a daily basis.

ConsLunch only twice a week. Older office.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities to chat with the employees

A wonderful company to work for, doing good for the community and its employees

ProsA very collaborative company that trusts its team. The input we get into projects is enormous, with a management team that not only listens but encourages and rewards contribution. Hard work mixed with a fun, flexible environment. A great place to work and grow.

ConsSome typical growing pains associated with start-up companies, but no real "cons" to speak of

A fabulous journey of grace under turmoil

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Mount Laurel, NJ

ProsPositive company vision, creative minds, great team ethic

ConsNewer company (at the time), somewhat of an uphill battle, change of CEO's caused some speed bumps, ex. product was promised to client to always be free, new CEO had to monetize the system for specific reasons, hence, 'speed-bumps'

Advice to Senior ManagementDo to bi-coastal, communications were understandably choppy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love coming to work each day.

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery supportive and resourceful management, a growing company with a desirable product in the marketplace, incredible work environment and positive staff, great benefits, and fun office culture.

ConsBelieve it or not I have zero complaints; I love my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Saving lives and helping keep communities safe is fun.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOur product helps save people's lives... pretty cool!
    Flexible working rules allow us to have a life
    Interesting challenges that have real-world impact

ConsNot a big company- so no big company perks
    Need more free fruit

I like it

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI'm not sure when the other reviewer worked for Nixle or what he did but a lot of the info in that review is incorrect. First of all, the company has the entire 3rd floor in a commercial building on 2nd St. Decor is minimal and some blinds are badly needed but the space was recently renovated and includes air conditioning, nice bathrooms, full kitchen (which is always stocked with snacks and drinks by the way). There's a new flat screen tv and a Wii in one of the conference rooms where devs occasionally take a few minutes to unwind.

There's a mellow and friendly vibe in the office. I get the sense that management has tried to recruit smart people that tend not to be very confrontational. I think there were some personality conflicts in the past. I have been at startups that fostered confrontation thinking that heated debates would ultimately lead to better a product. I ultimately decided that wasn't for me.

The health benefits the company offers are solid so again I'm not sure what the last reviewer was talking about. People have asked about FSA's and 401k's. I'm young and healthy so the FSA isn't a big deal to me.

The platform for the Nixle service is Django. There are no Java developers here as the previous reviewer mentioned. Maybe there use to be? Anyway, it's Python 24/7 here now.

So is it the very best company I've worked for? No, but I had a dream job at a video game company a few years back so it's hard to compare. I'd give Nixle 4.5 stars if that was an option. I went for 5 rather than 4 because the 1 star review is just ridiculous.

ConsAgain, some more decor would be nice, e.g. a table in the kitchen area, and blinds are needed because of the angle of the sun in the afternoon. Benefits beyond the standard health/vision/dental aren't great but I think they're working on it. I kind of felt like I was micro-managed a bit when I started but it wasn't an issue after a few weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPretty much summed it up in the cons. You've got a good team and product, make sure you nuture both of them.

Weirdest and worst startup I've ever worked at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's a small company in a part of San Francisco that doesn't smell like urine due to frequent flushing. Nearby monthly parking within the IRS pre-tax limit exists. 5-8 minute walk from Caltrain.

ConsAlmost too many to list. Everything is weird. Although they had something of an office in what was supposed to be a ground-floor retail space, they forewent that for what used to be the CEO's residential loft in the same building, made all the more creepy by the existence of a bad. For a startup, the company structure is nothing short of bizarre. Decisions are made by a CEO who is a real, live lawyer and his cronies. These non-technical people are off in New Jersey somewhere, and are never seen in the flesh. Since the East Coast people figured out the benefits, these were, at first, nonexistent, then, merely mediocre. Having never done a startup, however, they greatly overestimated the value, perhaps due to the effort involved, despite a PEO being cheaper, easier, and more valuable to the employees. Technical middle management (never mind that there even is middle management in such a tiny organization) is comically incompetent, which is, perhaps, appropriate, since its reason for being seems to be dealing with the confrontational, incompetent technical architect, whose attempts to inject useless Java into an otherwise happy Django shop are widely ignored. No snacks. No drinks. No air conditioning. No parking in the building's garage. Form is favored over function.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up. Seriously. You're wasting everyone's time and money. The idea may be an excellent one, but, with startups, it's all about execution, for which you don't have the right team.

Worked for Nixle LLC? Contribute to the Community!