Nixon Peabody

Humane "Big Law" Firm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nixon Peabody full-time

Pros

The people and atmosphere generally are very friendly. People respect each other and each other's time outside of work. Associates get a lot of great experience early on in their careers. Mentorship is strong. And, the SF office itself is a beautiful place to work.

Cons

Like many big law firms, the company is struggling to adapt to a changing legal market. Transitions to lower-cost programs could be handled much better. Many associates complain about sub-market pay starting at the 4th year. And, the hours can be grueling, although this is due more to the nature of corporate legal work generally than the company's own practices.

Don't believe a word

Former Employee - Support Staff
    Former Employee - Support Staff

I worked at Nixon Peabody full-time

Pros

pretty good pay, very good time off policy

Cons

Initially I was happy about getting a job there, but that happiness was very short-lived. I soon found out it has a dark side and is a miserable place to work.

I’ve heard some assignments are okay – maybe even good – to work for, while others are horrid. Mine were the latter. Dishonest backstabbers – Near constant attacks on my character, accused of things that weren’t true. Micromanagers – even after I had proven I could perform my tasks correctly, they insisted on telling me every step from A to Z, even when time was short. Hypocrites – you go to them but they don’t communicate their deadlines and frequently blindside you, then accuse you of not communicating. Hypercritical – they were on a mission to criticize everything I did and belittle everything I did well. Even when they couldn’t find anything negative to say about me, that was no problem! They just made something up.

Management was lousy too. Constant contradictions regarding responsibilities and expectations. My job description changed on a daily basis. As if that wasn’t confusing enough, instead of simply asking me to do something different, they reprimanded me for doing what I was supposed to do a day or two before.

If you’re considering taking a job there I can’t stress enough how important it is to ask why their previous secretary left, and don’t take something vague like “It wasn’t what she expected” for an answer. Dig deeper. But don’t stop there! Ask how long she lasted. Then ask the same questions about the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that. 10 minutes later, after you’ve come to realize that no one could stand to work for them for more than a couple months, you might want to reconsider. To top it off, they sit around all day whining about how they can’t keep a secretary. Duh!

The interview isn’t indicative of what it will be like to work there. Once hired, they reprimanded me for doing everything they said they wanted me to do in the interview. Also, the people who seemed incredibly nice in the interview turned out to be evil people to work for.

There’s more where that came from – the despicable behavior permeates every level – but I think you get the idea. Bottom line: If you’re devoid of integrity you’ll do fine there.

Professional atmosphere, nice people to work with

I have been working at Nixon Peabody full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits, does not seem like a "typical" cut-throat law firm. Most people are very friendly and easy to get along with. It is fast-paced, but not TOO fast . . .

Cons

Getting a bit more of a corporate feel, but that is to be expected given its size and the state of the economy.

It's important to cut costs, but keep employee benefits at a level higher than the rest of the market in order to keep the best and brightest!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Everyone has been very helpful

I worked at Nixon Peabody

Pros

everyone has been very helpful

Cons

sometimes the secretaries can e a little much

Litigation Assistant/Legal Secretary

Former Employee - Legal Secretary/Assistant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary/Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nixon Peabody full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team atmosphere. Genuinely supportive management, established procedures for reviews, guidance and moving forward. Opportunities for leadership roles and taking on additional responsibilities. Excellent salaries and benefits. Fairly sincere open-door policy.

Cons

I joined with a team from a bankrupt law firm and the established office took a while to warm to us incomers. Our West Coast approach butted heads with the East Coast establishment. We warmed up to one another shortly, though.

Find the strengths of your best employees and really give them stuff they can sink their teeth into.

Decent people who seem frustrated with their lives.

Former Employee - Attorney, 5th-Year  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Attorney, 5th-Year in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nixon Peabody full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are decent and hardworking, and there is a generally collegial atmosphere. There is an outward emphasis on promoting diversity.

Cons

There is a lack of transparency and information being passed from back East is often filtered before people know what's happening. People work too hard for sub-market pay.

Increase transparency, opportunity.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Staffer
    Current Employee - Staffer

I have been working at Nixon Peabody full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice atmosphere and great benefits. People are very friendly.

Cons

There are no complaints so far.

Keep up the good work!

Associate

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Nixon Peabody full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very high quality work. You usually get more responsibility than peer firms earlier in your career. Decent work / life balance compared to some firms. No tolerance for jerks. Generally, there is a good atmosphere that is collegial. Partnership prospects are pretty good.

Cons

Work / life balance is better for some than others. Compensation could be better. There is some bitterness among associates regarding compensation, especially mid-level and senior associates. While the experience and mentoring is good, I think it's not enough to keep associates from going to greener pastures because compensation is below market.

Poor Management in Albany Office

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at Nixon Peabody as a contractor

Pros

decent benefits/perks, nice downtown location, and most attorneys are nice

Cons

pay and bonus could be better for attorneys and non attorneys. 5 yrs ago change in Office Administrator, office politics is at an extreme high. Trust no one and document who you spoke to and what you said to them.

Employees with a good work history should get the benefit of the doubt over office gossip and favoritism.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Nixon Peabody full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and good people

Cons

Can be long hours at times

Worked for Nixon Peabody? Contribute to the Community!