Noah's Bagels

Updated July 22, 2014

2.7

Noah's Bagels President, CEO, and Director Jeff O'Neill
Jeff O'Neill

I Love Bagels and My Job!

Current Employee - Catering Specialist  in  Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Catering Specialist in Lakewood, CO

Pros

I work within the catering department and love the autnomy and flexablity of my work. I feel as thought I am a vital part of the company and that my options and ideas actually matter. PLUS every friday our R&D cook up some sort of breakfast or lunch for the entire office

Cons

So much free food, It really can be a problem sometimes! Only other con is sometime I finish my projects earlier and don't have anything else to do so I work on my own projects.

Keep doing what you're doing I love the team and the eniviroment and wouldn't trade this opportunity ofr the world. At this time I am under one of the most intensely business minded women and I love how much I am learning each day!

It was a pretty nice job, the hours can be a pain though.

Former Employee - Crew Member
    Former Employee - Crew Member

Pros

you get to eat bagels
    customer service
    no late evenings

Cons

Early morning weekend shifts
    it can get really hot
    uniforms annoying

Relax about the black pants and visors rule.

Great boss, great coworkers, but no real benefits

Former Employee - Customer Service Worker  in  Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Worker in Manhattan Beach, CA

Pros

My boss, the General Manager, was great. I had some health issues and he was more than understanding. The people I worked with were also great. Fun, down-to-earth, and they all did their jobs like they were supposed to. I also got discounts on all Noah's bagels and food that I bought and free access to make my own food as long as I paid for it with my discount.

Cons

The particular Noah's I worked at was located near the beach and so parking was almost impossible to find once the Von's next door stopped allowing the employees of nearby businesses to park in their lot. There was also a lot of controversy that seemed to go on at the higher management levels which resulted in the removal of all the perks we used to have. They took away the tip jar, so there was no possibility to get tips, and they stopped allowing us to take home the extra bagels which went unsold after closing, even though that meant throwing away tons of perfectly good food..

My advice to management would be to bring back to tip jar, at the very least, because the salary wasn't enough to keep me there and there were more than a few customers who wanted to leave tips and were upset by being unable to do so. Also it would be nice if they didn't take such drastic measures every time a single employee at a single Noah's location did something wrong, changing rules and taking away perks far too suddenly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, a good place to work

Pros

the other employees were great, most of the managers were very nice, and i loved talking to the customers. it was just a pretty laid-back job.

Cons

pays minimum wage to starting employees, no matter previous experience.
    usually schedules too few hours to employees.
    expected 2 employees to close and clean everything up within 45 minutes-1 hour....making everything a little rushed at closing.

i think everything is pretty decent there, but maybe schedule people enough hours, and not just like 8 hours a week.

Great Job, but management was severely lacking which made for a very chaotic work environment.

Former Employee - Regional Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Manager

Pros

The pay was decent for what was expected and the autonomy was nice at times.

Cons

Management, Management, Management. Too much politics and not enough promotion of talented people.

Take notice of the talent that is on the team and embrace it. Too many good people moved on to other things because they felt no support or were overwhelmed by insane demands. People don't leave a company, they leave management.

A good exchange of time for money, nothing more

Current Employee - Shift Leader  in  Lafayette, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Lafayette, CA

Pros

Great hours, no late nights and as many or as few as you want. Good people around you, get to make lots of friends. The work itself is not hard at all, its a bagel shop.

Cons

Low pay, 1-2 dollars lower in every position compared to companies in the same shopping center. Incredibly high turnover, only worked for about a year and a half and was there longer then 98 percent of people.

Good Job for Starting Managers, Not Stable for Long Term

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Salary higher than most similar companies.

Cons

EVERYONE GETS FIRED! Despite the constant encouragement from Chief Operating Officer to Run it like you own it, the middle managers are in a constant state of firing people to avoid getting fired themselves. One time four location managers got fired on the same day. Many stores go months or years without any manager at all. Best advice, work your way up to GM, prove yourself for a few months and then get out before they decide to fire you for a crazy reason.

Provide pay stubs bi weekly. Pay managers for all the hours they put in outside their stores, like reading emails and taking calls from stores. Don't encourage managers to run it like they own it, tell them the truth, run it like the shareholders need instant cash.

A LOT OF WORK

Current Employee - General Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great pay!
    Great Benefits!
    Great stepping stone for someone without a college degree to make a good salary.

Cons

Long Days!
    Audits!
    SO structured, you can't breathe at times.
    No labor back-up. Working with the bare minimum amount of staff.

Allot more money for labor. Understand that in San Francisco labor precent average is well over the traditional 25%.

good until new upper management

Former Employee - Retail Associate  in  Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Centennial, CO

Pros

hours are fantastic, great work life balance

Cons

a little shady when it comes to promotion, not totally upfront

more forthright and upfront with better communication

First Job

Pros

Good first job experience to start

Cons

very limited room for moving up in the company
    the company is not effective in its policies or business strategies
    hardly any holidays

Worked for Noah's Bagels? Contribute to the Community!