Nobel Learning Communities Reviews

2.5
George H. Bernstein

Great kids

Former Employee - Assistant Principal

I worked at Nobel Learning Communities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The families were wonderful. It is hard not to like your job when you are around kids all day. Curriculum is thoughtful. Prepackaged marketing materials are great for school leaders with educational backgrounds.

Cons

Low standards when it comes to school-level leadership. Some school administrators do not have advanced degrees. High turnover coupled with stagnant staff (but that may have just been in my location). Low salary (I left a 12 month position as an assistant principal with Nobel to take a 10 month position as a teacher with a higher salary at a school just a mile down the road).

High quality (not more) training and professional development sessions. Consider presenters from outside organizations to present to regional staff. More transparency with operations.

I did not have a positive experience working for NLC at all.

I worked at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

The best thing about working at a Nobel Learning Communities school was the hours. I only worked 8 hours a day and was not expected to work long days or to take work home. I could arrive at 6:30 am (when the school opened) and leave at 2:30 pm, which was wonderful.

Cons

There are many cons about working for NLC. The biggest con would be the lack of integrity at the school I worked at. Their standards were much lower than what I was used to, and therefore I did not enjoy working there and did not feel proud of the school.

Have higher standards of excellence. Don't let things "slide"; rather, demand high levels of integrity from the staff. You will be respected for it later.

Not a place to advance

Former Employee - Sales in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in West Chester, PA

I worked at Nobel Learning Communities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and (not including management), and great students. Small company that helps students.

Cons

Bad management, unorganized, high turnover, a lot of managers have quit, nothing ever gets done on time, no advancement, treat workers like they don't matter, no professional development, and don't use employees to better school.

Appreciate your employees and hire managers that help and build up employees. Get a working system in place.

Laurel Springs (Online) School

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I worked at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

Helping the families and students. Average pay and benefits. Fair vacation, sick, and holiday days off.

Cons

Extremely poor and discriminatory management (bases opinions off appearance/creed; in fact, lawsuit won against them for discrimination). Extremely high turnover with Director-level positions and hourly employees. Most employees are dissatisfied with leadership. Management has no problem lying to employees, NCAA, and families.

Stop blaming everyone else and take responsibility for you own actions; it can't be everyone else. Stop the gossiping and bash talking that you think is taking place behind closed doors. Other (non LSS) employees can hear you and do report it to the LSS employees which brings down morale. Try to see the value in what makes a good employee great and instead of sabotaging that relationship based off your personal (day-to-day/wishy-washy) opinions, work collaboratively. Retention does matter.

Review of Laurel Springs Online School

Current Employee - Hourly in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Hourly in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

The folks that work with students and their families are very hard working and devoted to the mission of the school.

Cons

Management does not embrace the mission of the school's founder. Although they do a great job of convincing themselves that the work they do and all of the hours they invest in their work is for the students, the fact is that its all about the almighty dollar.

Kindness AND integrity matter.

It is a CORPORATION and corporations want one thing only: Large profits.

I worked at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

The children and their families. (This should be why the school exists!)

Cons

It is only about making money and producing an inaccurate image to the "future enrollments" so they can sell it to them. The tour is tailored to "what the parent is looking for." So what one parent wants may differ from another, but you need to enroll both. The admissions coordinator who "works with you" is actually working for schools in a few states and is located in the corporate HQ in Pennsylvania! Ridiculously low pay for everyone employed except, guess who? Corporate! Unrealistic goals. Training is practically non-existent. Long hours if salaried. Budget does not allow for supplies and materials, adequate repairs in the building or equipment, food that is healthy or above average staffing; and so much more to list! Much more time is spent with reports and in the office than with the reason they are supposed to be operating: for the development of the whole child and helping the families as well as training the teachers. It is literally a very toxic environment by working for this company. Gossip is tolerated and actually modeled by management and corporate; so is competition among the schools and within each school. It is amazing how many parents do not know the difference between these schools and what a true child development center should be. This is what they have come to accept. Very, very sad...for the child who attends for a long period of time.

Where to start? Try the ones above and all the other negative and helpful comments from others on this website. I do not hold out any hope for improvement . It must come from the top two and others in the inner circle...then trickles down to the rest who either have bought into it or have to keep their job and compromise their principles...if they have some. . It is very, very sad because it is the children who are the most affected in the end. Along the way...the rest of the employees are, too. . Maybe they don't even realize what they have become after a while. They are not good for children - that's for certain. Is any corporation?

One of the Best Education Companies to work for!

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

I love the support from home office. You feel like you matter and the Executive Director really listens to each employee. Here you are more than childcare, you are a teacher and you work at a school. The ED knows how to challenge each school admin. team to perform their best.

Cons

For Principal/assistant principal hours can be long and include the weekends.

Keep checking in with the people on the ground level. We enjoy working here and we don't want to feel like we have been lost to "corporate." Nobel has been a great blessing for the schools here in Colorado.

Unacceptable treatment of their teachers

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Nobel Learning Communities full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ok benefits within the industry

Cons

No respect...teachers are treated horriably by management who care only about $$$ and have no interest in the childten.

It wont matter they don't care.. unless its show me the money!

10. Great place to work. A few quirks just as everywhere

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

The staff is like a family. I love teaching with them. Everyone is very willing to help out.

Cons

Low pay and short staffed on occasion.

Good place to work if you have passion for teaching!

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to put your innovative and creative ideas into practice without many restrictions by the company's educational leaders. Good place for new teachers who want to gain experience and develop their own teaching style. Good curriculum and programs that teach kids the importance of good values and appreciation for diversity.

Cons

Demanding jobs, low pay, lack of training/effective professional development, disorganized management, frequent meetings after work hours or during lunch breaks.

Professional Development Days should be planned more carefully and include high quality training. Allow employees to truly get a break from duties during lunch time and respect and protect their time off for a fair work-life balance. Observe a clear, well defined compensation plan and reward employees who go above and beyond... before they burn out and decide to leave.