Nobel Learning Communities

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

George H. Bernstein

Good place to work if you have passion for teaching!

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of opportunities to put your innovative and creative ideas into practice without many restrictions by the company's educational leaders. Good place for new teachers who want to gain experience and develop their own teaching style. Good curriculum and programs that teach kids the importance of good values and appreciation for diversity.

ConsDemanding jobs, low pay, lack of training/effective professional development, disorganized management, frequent meetings after work hours or during lunch breaks.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessional Development Days should be planned more carefully and include high quality training. Allow employees to truly get a break from duties during lunch time and respect and protect their time off for a fair work-life balance. Observe a clear, well defined compensation plan and reward employees who go above and beyond... before they burn out and decide to leave.

Disorganized and horrible management! No appreciation and professionalism from management!

Intermediate Lead Teacher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

ProsWork-Life Balance: once you leave work you have little or no work to do outside of your hours

Cons-Management: my principal has no regard for academics and disvalues employees who work hard. She never replies to emails promptly even though she is at her desk all day. She often comes in late and leaves early -- setting a bad example for the team. She never informs me when a new student is joining, and completely disregarded the fact that as a teacher -- you need to prepare for a new student (materials, desk, nametags, etc.) She runs the school like a company and doesn't value the work that teachers put in for lesson planning. She is completely unprofessional and unable to effectively manage a group of people.
-Trainings and Professional Development: consisted of PowerPoint presentations that were READ via a recording
-Dissatisfaction from Employees/High-Turnover: I didn't understand the school culture when interviewing, but by the first day I started there I knew this would be short-term. Employees are rightfully displeased due to the lack of communication, supplies ( I had to buy my own supplies for lessons and kids even when parents paid a "resource" fee monthly), and leadership.
-Salary/Time Off: I had just moved to the area and was looking for work, but was shocked when I saw how low Nobel was paying. They require you to take a break (even when you are lesson planning or prepping through it) so they don't have to pay you for the time. The school is NEVER shut down, even when you expect it to due to weather. Even when the federal government was closed, the school opened .....and the principal NEVER came on those days.
-Lack of Professionalism/Integrity: The school never EVER bought supplies for assignments, but when someone from higher up was coming to look at the school -- the principal and her "team" revamped the ENTIRE school to make it look like we were doing things all year round. I am a hard worker and if I was told to do something -- I would, however I was never observed or given constructive feedback. They came into classrooms and added things from the curriculum that were NEVER communicated to teachers. I was in awe of the "lie" they were portraying to higher management and parents/families.
-Lack of Confidentiality: Issues of students in my class or other children were openly discussed in front of EVERYONE. There was no regard for confidentiality and upper management set the example that it was acceptable to gossip. Disgraceful!

Advice to Senior ManagementSet an example and hold your employees accountable. Communicate with your employees and actually implement suggestions that will help make the school run more efficiently. Gain buy-in from your staff and be accommodating so you employees will WANT to work for you. Honestly there are so many holes in your organization, that I am appalled that this company is still operating. I feel bad for parents who are sold on an image that is a lie. I am currently looking for employment else where because frankly my personal values are not aligned with what Nobel Learning (not the mission but the ACTUAL school) stands for.

Cheap and getting cheaper

Teacher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood co workers
steady pay check
LOVE the kids. Its the motivation to go to work ever morning
thats about it

ConsLow Pay-- after 4 years (almost 5) I am making exactly 300 anually more than I was when I started.... not to mention the sharp increase in out of pocket medical expenses)

The organization is very disorganized. There are too many processes that are not being followed through.

Exhausting micromanaged environment.

Lead Teacher (Current Employee)
Potomac, MD

ProsWonderful coworkers and families that are supportive. Good curriculum but too much emphasis on bulletin boards!

ConsUpper management is never satisfied and constantly is asking for MORE. Just when a new idea is implemented and begins to become a comfortable addition to the classroom routine something NEW is required. There is no time to actually bond and enjoy working with children.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider working in the classroom to see how the many requirements of the job are affecting staff.

Great seasonal job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nobel Learning Communities

ProsGreat working environment, no micro-managing

ConsOccasional overtime for field trips, but we were always compensated

Great

Crew Leader (Current Employee)
Delaware, OH

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities part-time for more than a year

ProsI love working with the kids, the staff was great and very flexible

Consthey didn't offer a lot of hours , mostly part time and I did not have the chance to always be wight he same group of kids

ok place to work

Cook (Current Employee)
Rocklin, CA

Prosnice co workers and i come and go as i please

Consuncaring lazy co workers, ineffective management

Advice to Senior ManagementLead

Strictly for profit

Teacher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

ProsCamaraderie with fellow wage earners.

ConsIt's all about putting on a show for the parents and generating earnings for the investors.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a nurturing environment for young children instead of a "curriculum" to impress the parents.

Nobel Learning Communities

Assistant Principal (Current Employee)
Bethesda, MD

ProsI love the curriculum here along with the staff!!!!

ConsThe age of the building does create maintenance issues at times.

Chesterbrook Academy

Teacher Assistant (Former Employee)
Champaign, IL

I worked at Nobel Learning Communities full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOur preschool's employers were great-- friendly and always willing to help out.

ConsThe corporate system seems a little flawed; sometimes disorganized.

Worked for Nobel Learning Communities? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nobel Learning Communities reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nobel Learning Communities CEO George H. Bernstein. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Nobel Learning Communities employees.