Nobel Learning Communities

Nobel Learning Communities Reviews

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014

George H. Bernstein

It is a CORPORATION and corporations want one thing only: Large profits.

I worked at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

The children and their families. (This should be why the school exists!)

Cons

It is only about making money and producing an inaccurate image to the "future enrollments" so they can sell it to them. The tour is tailored to "what the parent is looking for." So what one parent wants may differ from another, but you need to enroll both. The admissions coordinator who "works with you" is actually working for schools in a few states and is located in the corporate HQ in Pennsylvania! Ridiculously low pay for everyone employed except, guess who? Corporate! Unrealistic goals. Training is practically non-existent. Long hours if salaried. Budget does not allow for supplies and materials, adequate repairs in the building or equipment, food that is healthy or above average staffing; and so much more to list! Much more time is spent with reports and in the office than with the reason they are supposed to be operating: for the development of the whole child and helping the families as well as training the teachers. It is literally a very toxic environment by working for this company. Gossip is tolerated and actually modeled by management and corporate; so is competition among the schools and within each school. It is amazing how many parents do not know the difference between these schools and what a true child development center should be. This is what they have come to accept. Very, very sad...for the child who attends for a long period of time.

Where to start? Try the ones above and all the other negative and helpful comments from others on this website. I do not hold out any hope for improvement . It must come from the top two and others in the inner circle...then trickles down to the rest who either have bought into it or have to keep their job and compromise their principles...if they have some. . It is very, very sad because it is the children who are the most affected in the end. Along the way...the rest of the employees are, too. . Maybe they don't even realize what they have become after a while. They are not good for children - that's for certain. Is any corporation?

Great kids

Former Employee - Assistant Principal
    Former Employee - Assistant Principal

I worked at Nobel Learning Communities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The families were wonderful. It is hard not to like your job when you are around kids all day. Curriculum is thoughtful. Prepackaged marketing materials are great for school leaders with educational backgrounds.

Cons

Low standards when it comes to school-level leadership. Some school administrators do not have advanced degrees. High turnover coupled with stagnant staff (but that may have just been in my location). Low salary (I left a 12 month position as an assistant principal with Nobel to take a 10 month position as a teacher with a higher salary at a school just a mile down the road).

High quality (not more) training and professional development sessions. Consider presenters from outside organizations to present to regional staff. More transparency with operations.

Unacceptable treatment of their teachers

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Nobel Learning Communities full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ok benefits within the industry

Cons

No respect...teachers are treated horriably by management who care only about $$$ and have no interest in the childten.

It wont matter they don't care.. unless its show me the money!

One of the Best Education Companies to work for!

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

I love the support from home office. You feel like you matter and the Executive Director really listens to each employee. Here you are more than childcare, you are a teacher and you work at a school. The ED knows how to challenge each school admin. team to perform their best.

Cons

For Principal/assistant principal hours can be long and include the weekends.

Keep checking in with the people on the ground level. We enjoy working here and we don't want to feel like we have been lost to "corporate." Nobel has been a great blessing for the schools here in Colorado.

Great place to work. A few quirks just as everywhere

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

The staff is like a family. I love teaching with them. Everyone is very willing to help out.

Cons

Low pay and short staffed on occasion.

Somewhat negative experience

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

My school has outstanding teachers/co-workers, although in large part this is because they were in place before the company took over the school.

Cons

In my experience Nobel supports a school principal who is inept in terms of true leadership and is in fact a bit of a bully. For example, co-workers are asked to come in to "tattle" on others, leading to an atmosphere where there is mistrust and some fear. Focus is prioritized in favor of monthly profit over supporting an environment of trust and learning.

Teacher pay is not sustainable - you can not expect raises even on par with the cost in living. My recommendation is that if you are a young professional, perhaps get experience there, but then find other opportunities where you will find greater respect and reward for the important job you do.

Balance your top-down approach to decision making to include input from those in the field. An example is professional development. My experience is that you pay people to fly across the country to present information to teachers that is often condescending and irrelevant. This must be expensive! Ask for feedback from those in the trenches - we could be a valuable ally in developing your schools!

Good place to work if you have passion for teaching!

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to put your innovative and creative ideas into practice without many restrictions by the company's educational leaders. Good place for new teachers who want to gain experience and develop their own teaching style. Good curriculum and programs that teach kids the importance of good values and appreciation for diversity.

Cons

Demanding jobs, low pay, lack of training/effective professional development, disorganized management, frequent meetings after work hours or during lunch breaks.

Professional Development Days should be planned more carefully and include high quality training. Allow employees to truly get a break from duties during lunch time and respect and protect their time off for a fair work-life balance. Observe a clear, well defined compensation plan and reward employees who go above and beyond... before they burn out and decide to leave.

Disorganized and horrible management! No appreciation and professionalism from management!

Current Employee - Intermediate Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Intermediate Lead Teacher

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

Work-Life Balance: once you leave work you have little or no work to do outside of your hours

Cons

-Management: my principal has no regard for academics and disvalues employees who work hard. She never replies to emails promptly even though she is at her desk all day. She often comes in late and leaves early -- setting a bad example for the team. She never informs me when a new student is joining, and completely disregarded the fact that as a teacher -- you need to prepare for a new student (materials, desk, nametags, etc.) She runs the school like a company and doesn't value the work that teachers put in for lesson planning. She is completely unprofessional and unable to effectively manage a group of people.
    -Trainings and Professional Development: consisted of PowerPoint presentations that were READ via a recording
    -Dissatisfaction from Employees/High-Turnover: I didn't understand the school culture when interviewing, but by the first day I started there I knew this would be short-term. Employees are rightfully displeased due to the lack of communication, supplies ( I had to buy my own supplies for lessons and kids even when parents paid a "resource" fee monthly), and leadership.
    -Salary/Time Off: I had just moved to the area and was looking for work, but was shocked when I saw how low Nobel was paying. They require you to take a break (even when you are lesson planning or prepping through it) so they don't have to pay you for the time. The school is NEVER shut down, even when you expect it to due to weather. Even when the federal government was closed, the school opened .....and the principal NEVER came on those days.
    -Lack of Professionalism/Integrity: The school never EVER bought supplies for assignments, but when someone from higher up was coming to look at the school -- the principal and her "team" revamped the ENTIRE school to make it look like we were doing things all year round. I am a hard worker and if I was told to do something -- I would, however I was never observed or given constructive feedback. They came into classrooms and added things from the curriculum that were NEVER communicated to teachers. I was in awe of the "lie" they were portraying to higher management and parents/families.
    -Lack of Confidentiality: Issues of students in my class or other children were openly discussed in front of EVERYONE. There was no regard for confidentiality and upper management set the example that it was acceptable to gossip. Disgraceful!

Set an example and hold your employees accountable. Communicate with your employees and actually implement suggestions that will help make the school run more efficiently. Gain buy-in from your staff and be accommodating so you employees will WANT to work for you. Honestly there are so many holes in your organization, that I am appalled that this company is still operating. I feel bad for parents who are sold on an image that is a lie. I am currently looking for employment else where because frankly my personal values are not aligned with what Nobel Learning (not the mission but the ACTUAL school) stands for.

Cheap and getting cheaper

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good co workers
    steady pay check
    LOVE the kids. Its the motivation to go to work ever morning
    thats about it

Cons

Low Pay-- after 4 years (almost 5) I am making exactly 300 anually more than I was when I started.... not to mention the sharp increase in out of pocket medical expenses)

The organization is very disorganized. There are too many processes that are not being followed through.

Exhausting micromanaged environment.

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Potomac, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers and families that are supportive. Good curriculum but too much emphasis on bulletin boards!

Cons

Upper management is never satisfied and constantly is asking for MORE. Just when a new idea is implemented and begins to become a comfortable addition to the classroom routine something NEW is required. There is no time to actually bond and enjoy working with children.

Consider working in the classroom to see how the many requirements of the job are affecting staff.