Noble Corporation

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.4

David W. Williams

I had a good experience at the company, the employees and management were cooperative

Former Employee - Purchasing in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Noble Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a good working environment

Cons

The workload is quite high

Provide more flexibility to the employees

Marine Operations Engineer, Regulatory Compliance Department

Former Employee - Marine Operations Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marine Operations Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Noble Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Upward mobility, family oriented, flexible with time off, very competitive pay, retirement benefits, company stock options.

Cons

Living in Houston, very cut throat industry, limited respect in the field for the positions given (but that is not a company thing that is an industry thing).

I was told that when I left 13 years ago that I was welcome back at anytime, no one made good on that promise.

Only care about the long time employees

I have been working at Noble Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent Pay and benefits. Bonuses are good.

Cons

If you aren't one of the lucky to have been working here for over 10 years you are just a number.

Pay issues

Current Employee - Work On A Rig
    Current Employee - Work On A Rig

I have been working at Noble Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most people get paid well.

Cons

but those that don't get paid well have a whole month gap so one month's worth of check has to cover two months worth of bills it doesn't work well if you are only getting paid $20/hr and they take forever to pay bonuses that are owed to employees

Find a way for the bonuses to be paid in a timely manner. Some of us work very diligently and hard but advancement doesn't and bonuses don't come fast enough for us to take care of our family.

Noble Drilling Sucks

Current Employee - Electrician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Electrician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing Spectacular about Noble Drilling.

Cons

Bad communication between head office and field, high employee turnover. Guys at Sugar land think they are in heaven or some sort, management -employee relations couldn't be worse, organizational culture is total failure.

Get off your high horses and treat your employees like humans

Interesting.. and yet frustrating

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Corporation

Pros

The people we work with at the ground floor level are amazing. Most of the management are talented good people.

Cons

Pay is lower than peers
    F'lex time is not flexible.
    No advancement possiblities
    Bonuses are Subjective not quantitative
    Benefits are so-so

I'd tell management to move back to Houston and get involved with the great people who work here and not try to manage from afar.

Mixed Bag

Former Employee - Recruiter in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Noble Corporation

Pros

Great benefits and that's about it

Cons

Job reviews are scarce, lack of job direction, they wont even talk to you about promotions until you reach 30 years old. Low pay

Cut down the turnover by listening to your employees. Half of the Corporate problem is leadership within the building especially since the higher ups left.

spoke in a wheel

Former Employee - Floorhand in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Floorhand in Houston, TX

I worked at Noble Corporation

Pros

The training program was pretty top-notch when I started, and the safety record is still comparatively respectable. Provisions were better than average with boots and uniforms. Sometimes we were even provided little extras like personal flashlights and whatnot.

Cons

Vertical advancement without family influence within the company is VERY difficult and very slow. The safety policies are so overboard and strict that sometimes that actually hinder job completion and create hazards of their own. Ever pressure-washed oil-based mud with goggles AND a face mask on? Impossible. No loyalty whatsoever. I worked for them for 3 yrs without a hitch and I was released after coming back from having back surgery. Take my word for it. If you need medical treatment, DO NOT use your insurance! Claim EVERY injury as work-related. Then they're legally AS WELL as financially responsible. If they think your medical treatment could affect your job performance, and you used your insurance for it, you can EASILY be let go without explanation.

Try some common sense. The intentions at Noble were very impressive, but more often than not, highly impractical. Don't promote people to leadership positions that are horrible with people. Then again, with Noble, it's too late for that. A person that simply wants to do a good job is more often than not held back until they can't stand their jobs any more because their supervisors don't wanna train someone else to do half the job they're getting done with this one guy, and the people who make it near impossible to get the work done are promoted so that their supervisors don't have to deal with them any more. Believe it or not, I saw that ALL the time. Something else I noticed, and whoever you are will LOVE this... I noticed that when the previous CEO of Noble left and the new guy took over, Noble started on a downward spiral into careless self-destruction.

Who would like to be a good fellow for the BLUE AND YELLOW?

Current Employee - Barge Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barge Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Corporation

Pros

The time off is the key for me. I work a 14 day on and have 14 days off a month. This gives me plenty of time to do the things I want and to plan things in the future. I also get to spend quality time with my family.
    The benefits are great. I have not had one problem with my insurance and the 401K plan is really wonderful. You can put 1% to 50% of your check in up to the amount the IRS allows every year, you are vested as soon as you start and do not have to wait 5 years, and for the first 5 years the company matches you 70 cents on the dollar up to 6%, after that dollar for dollar up to 6%.

Cons

We are constantly going to schools to renew licenses or learning up on new programs that have been put into place. The only time we have to do this is on our off time which takes time away from your family.

On the retention bonuses, I believe ALL supervisors and the skilled position personnel should receive one. The way I see it, all your skilled positions had to do some kind of formal training to get in the position they are in today so they should be compensated.

Good experience

Current Employee - Safety and Training Specialist in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Safety and Training Specialist in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Noble Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

During Jim Day's tenure as CEO this was an excellent company with a steady drive towards improvement. The culture and values were continuously supported and expressed and there was the feeling of working for the industry leader.

Cons

When JD left things went downhill

Do not repeat to the exhaustion that "people are our most important asset" and then do not support that with a proactive, value driven human resources policy

Noble Corporation Photos