Noble Corporation Reviews

32 reviews filtered by

1. Noble Drilling Sucks

Current Employee - Electrician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Electrician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing Spectacular about Noble Drilling.

Cons

Bad communication between head office and field, high employee turnover. Guys at Sugar land think they are in heaven or some sort, management -employee relations couldn't be worse, organizational culture is total failure.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horses and treat your employees like humans

2. Interesting.. and yet frustrating

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Corporation

Pros

The people we work with at the ground floor level are amazing. Most of the management are talented good people.

Cons

Pay is lower than peers
    F'lex time is not flexible.
    No advancement possiblities
    Bonuses are Subjective not quantitative
    Benefits are so-so

Advice to Management

I'd tell management to move back to Houston and get involved with the great people who work here and not try to manage from afar.

Mixed Bag

Former Employee - Recruiter in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Noble Corporation

Pros

Great benefits and that's about it

Cons

Job reviews are scarce, lack of job direction, they wont even talk to you about promotions until you reach 30 years old. Low pay

Advice to Management

Cut down the turnover by listening to your employees. Half of the Corporate problem is leadership within the building especially since the higher ups left.

5. spoke in a wheel

Former Employee - Floorhand in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Floorhand in Houston, TX

I worked at Noble Corporation

Pros

The training program was pretty top-notch when I started, and the safety record is still comparatively respectable. Provisions were better than average with boots and uniforms. Sometimes we were even provided little extras like personal flashlights and whatnot.

Cons

Vertical advancement without family influence within the company is VERY difficult and very slow. The safety policies are so overboard and strict that sometimes that actually hinder job completion and create hazards of their own. Ever pressure-washed oil-based mud with goggles AND a face mask on? Impossible. No loyalty whatsoever. I worked for them for 3 yrs without a hitch and I was released after coming back from having back surgery. Take my word for it. If you need medical treatment, DO NOT use your insurance! Claim EVERY injury as work-related. Then they're legally AS WELL as financially responsible. If they think your medical treatment could affect your job performance, and you used your insurance for it, you can EASILY be let go without explanation.

Advice to Management

Try some common sense. The intentions at Noble were very impressive, but more often than not, highly impractical. Don't promote people to leadership positions that are horrible with people. Then again, with Noble, it's too late for that. A person that simply wants to do a good job is more often than not held back until they can't stand their jobs any more because their supervisors don't wanna train someone else to do half the job they're getting done with this one guy, and the people who make it near impossible to get the work done are promoted so that their supervisors don't have to deal with them any more. Believe it or not, I saw that ALL the time. Something else I noticed, and whoever you are will LOVE this... I noticed that when the previous CEO of Noble left and the new guy took over, Noble started on a downward spiral into careless self-destruction.

6. Who would like to be a good fellow for the BLUE AND YELLOW?

Current Employee - Barge Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barge Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Corporation

Pros

The time off is the key for me. I work a 14 day on and have 14 days off a month. This gives me plenty of time to do the things I want and to plan things in the future. I also get to spend quality time with my family.
    The benefits are great. I have not had one problem with my insurance and the 401K plan is really wonderful. You can put 1% to 50% of your check in up to the amount the IRS allows every year, you are vested as soon as you start and do not have to wait 5 years, and for the first 5 years the company matches you 70 cents on the dollar up to 6%, after that dollar for dollar up to 6%.

Cons

We are constantly going to schools to renew licenses or learning up on new programs that have been put into place. The only time we have to do this is on our off time which takes time away from your family.

Advice to Management

On the retention bonuses, I believe ALL supervisors and the skilled position personnel should receive one. The way I see it, all your skilled positions had to do some kind of formal training to get in the position they are in today so they should be compensated.

7. Good experience

Current Employee - Safety and Training Specialist in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Safety and Training Specialist in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Noble Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

During Jim Day's tenure as CEO this was an excellent company with a steady drive towards improvement. The culture and values were continuously supported and expressed and there was the feeling of working for the industry leader.

Cons

When JD left things went downhill

Advice to Management

Do not repeat to the exhaustion that "people are our most important asset" and then do not support that with a proactive, value driven human resources policy

8. Stagnate Salary and bonuses

I have been working at Noble Corporation full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunity if you are patient.

Cons

Bonuses have been pretty small for the last few years. like less than 3% of your salary small.

Advice to Management

Raise salaries across the board. Give your employees a reason to love their company. Help them feel appreciated. If all our VIPs are sitting comfortable in Geneva saving money on taxes. They could at least throw us a bone.

Great Pay, excellent benefits, must be able to tolerate bullies

Current Employee - Electronics Technician
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician

I have been working at Noble Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The job is not hard physically, at least not any harder than any other job. A great deal of freedom, no supervisor riding you too much. You get to be your own boss day to day for the most part to work on things as you see fit.

Cons

There is definately a click. If you dont get "in" with the click you will find yourself picked on, or toyed with regularly. There are overachievers that put on the look of being hard workers, but they really are just putting on a good show. You have to watch out for these types because they are in the "click" and can make you look bad. A lot of the people out there think they are very intelligent, and treat outsiders, who are not in the click, like dummies. If you are new, they will shun you, or ignore your input, which is very sad because a lot of problems could be solved quicker if people didnt act so arrogant. There is also a lot of missed opportunities to learn when this happens, which hurts the team as a whole.

Advice to Management

Try to listen to all your employees more often, you may find that they are not as ignorant as you treat them.

Low salary

Current Employee - Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Noble Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Emerging company with some growth prospects in an increasingly competitive industry. Do have a competive advantage in some regions and commodities products.

Cons

Primarily, an Asia focused company which is trying to go more global. Currently in the growing phase, with some business units and regions given more attention by senior management. Others are overlooked entirely.

11. Noble Drilling

Current Employee - Supervisor/Offshore GOM
    Current Employee - Supervisor/Offshore GOM

I have been working at Noble Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a job, its hard to get fired especially if you are incompetent, you are sure to be promoted if you know someone or have a relative in the office. Pay is average but travel & school pay are an insult. Good place to start if you have no experience or ambition.

Cons

Terrible management by inexperienced personnel. Unfair and indifferent treatment of employees. Transfers & promition are rare. Turnover is very high. Don't expect to receive an expense check in less than 60 days. Travel Pay & School Pay are a joke. The people in charge are clueless. If you are a competent, hard worker you will surely be held back. You are just a number here there is no loyalty to employees. All bad. Everyone here is looking for a job somewhere else. I have been here 5 yeaes and as soon as I am vested in their substandard 401k I am out of here. If you have options work somewhere else.

Advice to Management

New CEO, New Management, %50 turnover in Houston office at least and replace with competent personnel. Try being professional & hold yourselves accountable. Show some loyalty to your employees. Listen to your field personnel. You cant run a drilling company from an office in Houston, especially if you have no idea what you are doing. Ever since the new CEO took over it has been getting progressively worse.

Noble Corporation Photos