Noble Drilling (U.S.)
www.noblecorp.com Sugar Land, TX 500 to 999 Employees

Noble Drilling (U.S.) Reviews

Updated Mar 10, 2014
Noble Drilling (U.S.) – China – “Drilling Rig”

David W. Williams

Great place to work with opportunity to grow as a professional.

Analyst (Current Employee)
Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Noble Drilling (U.S.) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWilling to train and develop employees. Firm job security.

ConsCompany is growing at a rapid pace and losing focus on family values they once prided themselves on.

Positive experience, fast paced environment.

Barge Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Noble Drilling (U.S.) full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI like the time off of course. I work a 28/28 rotation. The pay is good, although not on par with other companies. Noble is a company that you stake your future on. Even when times are slow, Noble will generally retain it's Employees. The company offers training at the Employee's convenience, and doesn't place a lot of pressure in completing 100% of it. this is good because most if not all of your training must be done on time off. The SAP maintenance program is top of the line, and easy to use. Rig managers are generally good people, with the occasional redneck exception.

ConsThe pay is good, although not on par with other companies. Noble bends and bows at the whim of the oil company, often causing you to have to do double the work, and spend double the time on useless tasks. The pay for my job is higher on "Premium" drilling rigs such as Drillships or Semi-submursibles within Noble. The Barge Engineer on a Jack-up does the job of an RMS, and a Barge Engineer on the "Premium" rigs, but Management fails to see this.

Advice to Senior ManagementEqualize and review pay scales between similar positions on different rig types. Re-evaluate job titles and provide equal attention to the Jackups as you do between the Semi-subs and the drill ships.

Marine Operations Engineer, Regulatory Compliance Department

Marine Operations Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Noble Drilling (U.S.) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUpward mobility, family oriented, flexible with time off, very competitive pay, retirement benefits, company stock options.

ConsLiving in Houston, very cut throat industry, limited respect in the field for the positions given (but that is not a company thing that is an industry thing).

Advice to Senior ManagementI was told that when I left 13 years ago that I was welcome back at anytime, no one made good on that promise.

Only care about the long time employees

I have been working at Noble Drilling (U.S.) full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent Pay and benefits. Bonuses are good.

ConsIf you aren't one of the lucky to have been working here for over 10 years you are just a number.

Pay issues

Work On A Rig (Current Employee)

I have been working at Noble Drilling (U.S.) full-time for more than a year

ProsMost people get paid well.

Consbut those that don't get paid well have a whole month gap so one month's worth of check has to cover two months worth of bills it doesn't work well if you are only getting paid $20/hr and they take forever to pay bonuses that are owed to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way for the bonuses to be paid in a timely manner. Some of us work very diligently and hard but advancement doesn't and bonuses don't come fast enough for us to take care of our family.

Noble Drilling Sucks

Electrician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Noble Drilling (U.S.) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNothing Spectacular about Noble Drilling.

ConsBad communication between head office and field, high employee turnover. Guys at Sugar land think they are in heaven or some sort, management -employee relations couldn't be worse, organizational culture is total failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horses and treat your employees like humans

Interesting.. and yet frustrating

Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Drilling (U.S.)

ProsThe people we work with at the ground floor level are amazing. Most of the management are talented good people.

ConsPay is lower than peers
F'lex time is not flexible.
No advancement possiblities
Bonuses are Subjective not quantitative
Benefits are so-so

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd tell management to move back to Houston and get involved with the great people who work here and not try to manage from afar.

spoke in a wheel

Floorhand (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Noble Drilling (U.S.)

ProsThe training program was pretty top-notch when I started, and the safety record is still comparatively respectable. Provisions were better than average with boots and uniforms. Sometimes we were even provided little extras like personal flashlights and whatnot.

ConsVertical advancement without family influence within the company is VERY difficult and very slow. The safety policies are so overboard and strict that sometimes that actually hinder job completion and create hazards of their own. Ever pressure-washed oil-based mud with goggles AND a face mask on? Impossible. No loyalty whatsoever. I worked for them for 3 yrs without a hitch and I was released after coming back from having back surgery. Take my word for it. If you need medical treatment, DO NOT use your insurance! Claim EVERY injury as work-related. Then they're legally AS WELL as financially responsible. If they think your medical treatment could affect your job performance, and you used your insurance for it, you can EASILY be let go without explanation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry some common sense. The intentions at Noble were very impressive, but more often than not, highly impractical. Don't promote people to leadership positions that are horrible with people. Then again, with Noble, it's too late for that. A person that simply wants to do a good job is more often than not held back until they can't stand their jobs any more because their supervisors don't wanna train someone else to do half the job they're getting done with this one guy, and the people who make it near impossible to get the work done are promoted so that their supervisors don't have to deal with them any more. Believe it or not, I saw that ALL the time. Something else I noticed, and whoever you are will LOVE this... I noticed that when the previous CEO of Noble left and the new guy took over, Noble started on a downward spiral into careless self-destruction.

Who would like to be a good fellow for the BLUE AND YELLOW?

Barge Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Drilling (U.S.)

ProsThe time off is the key for me. I work a 14 day on and have 14 days off a month. This gives me plenty of time to do the things I want and to plan things in the future. I also get to spend quality time with my family.
The benefits are great. I have not had one problem with my insurance and the 401K plan is really wonderful. You can put 1% to 50% of your check in up to the amount the IRS allows every year, you are vested as soon as you start and do not have to wait 5 years, and for the first 5 years the company matches you 70 cents on the dollar up to 6%, after that dollar for dollar up to 6%.

ConsWe are constantly going to schools to renew licenses or learning up on new programs that have been put into place. The only time we have to do this is on our off time which takes time away from your family.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the retention bonuses, I believe ALL supervisors and the skilled position personnel should receive one. The way I see it, all your skilled positions had to do some kind of formal training to get in the position they are in today so they should be compensated.

Stagnate Salary and bonuses

I have been working at Noble Drilling (U.S.) full-time

ProsPlenty of opportunity if you are patient.

ConsBonuses have been pretty small for the last few years. like less than 3% of your salary small.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries across the board. Give your employees a reason to love their company. Help them feel appreciated. If all our VIPs are sitting comfortable in Geneva saving money on taxes. They could at least throw us a bone.

Worked for Noble Drilling (U.S.)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Noble Drilling (U.S.) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Noble Drilling (U.S.) CEO David W. Williams. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Noble Drilling (U.S.) employees.