Noble Energy

Charles D. Davidson

Contractor for 6 months.

Former Employee - Contractor  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Contractor in Denver, CO

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not any that I could see.

Cons

Very political environment. Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing and they don't care. They don't care if one department is over budget by millions. The employees seem to hate their jobs and do not even say Hi to people. There does not seem to be any "Team work" at all. People who have been there a long time have titles that are not earned and their position certainly is not respected. They need to do a management overhaul, especially in the Denver office. Paying a larger salary does not mean people will be happy.

Practice your leadership skills, if you actually have them. Plant some strong people in the Denver office and see what they are doing and how they are treating people. Noble office in Denver is giving O&G as BAD name in Colorado! For goodness sake, give a snow day when it is needed, no sense in putting people in danger when they can work at home just as efficiently.

Great salaries that don't quite make up for incompetent management and a hostile work environment.

I worked at Noble Energy as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

-excellent oil wages, especially for expat work

Cons

Everything else is a con. All upper management is hired and run using the "good ol' boy" system. Gossip fuels business decisions, rather than good sound information. Overseas location management is absolutely inept, incompetent, and self-serving. Hiring/firing for "remote" locations is entirely nepotistic and racially/nationalistically biased. Let's just say that for some locations, you better be British, or you're fired/not hired. To make matters worse, there were very inappropriate relationships discovered between executives that would make the devil cry.

Money does not cure all ills! Your pay is excellent, but you have to step up hiring practices. You have got to revisit how you find and select country managers, and stop letting your various locations run rampant with nepotism, gossip-fueled business planning, and inappropriate behavior!

Terrible place to work, not employee friendly very impersonal.

Current Employee - Consulting Landman  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consulting Landman in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Close in proximity to where I live.

Cons

Terrible place to work especially for minorities.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst job ever

I worked at Noble Energy

Pros

nothing good to say about noble

Cons

management was disorganized and cruel to their employees.

don't be mean

More hours doesn't equal more Production

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. The five year plan is exciting. Noble is growing very quickly and there are many opportunities for individuals who don't mind working hard. Noble strives for high ethical standards and in that way I am proud to be an employee. Flex work schedule ( If you can actually get out on time on Fridays) and Great Vacation package ( if you can take it).

Cons

Too many Managers and not enough individual contributors. I see this problem in more departments than just my own, which in my opinion equals constantly re-working proceedures based on what Manger 1 2 or 3 thinks is the right thing at the moment. This also leads to the individual employees overloaded with more work than they can handle. A 60 -70 hour work week is the norm here. With our strive to be "Best in Class" it doesn't feel like they realize that someones "Best" comes when they are well rested and eager to take on the day. Hard to be eager when you worked till midnight the night before just to keep your head above water.

Think about quality over quantity. More hours worked doesn't always mean it was productive. In fact, in most cases it means mistakes were made due to fatigue or stress. Understand that your employee's have a life outside of Noble and need to feel like thats okay.

Noble Energy- Worst Job Ever

I worked at Noble Energy as a contractor

Pros

Money! Some great people left over from the old Noble community. Amazing meetings when the political appointees begin sharing their knowledge.

Cons

Poor organizational structure. Unqualified political appointees exist in responsible positions.
    FCPA compliance questionable at best.
    Hostile work environment.

Board of directors would be well served to hire independent review of foreign operation and their support functions. Audit foreign servers and transactions and take action.

Very inefficient processes and procedures.

Former Employee - Land Administrative Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Land Administrative Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Noble has high salaries and decent benefits. They also paid for parking. At Noble you work 9 hour days and half day every Friday. Noble is a great company, but unfortunately my department had arrogant supervisors that treated employees poorly.

Cons

Some supervisors were borderline verbally abusive. If you are not chosen as their "favorite" you will not be given any opportunity to succeed or lead projects. Noble has extremely inefficient procedures. You need to get ALL your work double/triple checked and approved, often by lower level inexperienced Analysts. They have created a culture of covering your own butt. Very slow processes and some inexperienced individuals make for a huge headache. The supervisors are extreme micro- managers. Many people on the team had poor morale. The CSB building looks and feels like a prison on the inside, no pictures, or art, just white walls and prison guard supervisors. Noble has a lot of talent, few are given encouragement and the opportunity to succeed. Many people keep their head down and fly under the radar and they only stay for the high salary. I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did if it wasn't for the high salary, but in the end my dignity and happiness prevailed. I always had extremely high performance evaluations, which was surprising considering the poor treatment I received from my supervisor. It was a very toxic work environment in my department.

Noble hires great talented people that need to be encouraged and mentored. Get rid of bully supervisors!

Was a great company, going downhill from here

Former Employee - Senior Geologist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Geologist in Houston, TX

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Used to be up-and-coming with growth, now senior management has changed-will likely be development/production oriented.
    The new building is beautiful, though don't know if and how Noble will actually grow to fill it. (Widely remarked)
    Good place for development geoscientists for the next few years.

Cons

Many will say that Noble has become too big, and is not addressing its poor quality lower level management.
    Not a place for explorers, at least until 2017. No grasp of regional geologic concepts, poor technical skills, and ability to expand into new frontiers. Many have already left.
    Near-term drop in exploration scope due to specific country alignment, and inability to gain new acreage, and consequently lower level management are so desparate given limited running room, that they are bullying employees to overstate prospects. Becoming quite corrupt. Well known to be a very siloed, non-communicative clandestine culture. Managers protect themselves by promoting incompetence around them. Not a good strategy for growth.
    Mid and late career people will receive no training or onboarding. The focus is purely on developing new hire replacements.

Become a less siloed entity, encourage cross departmental communication, exchange. Train managers in effective management, including basic measures to prevent your likely imminent, downfall through encouraging poor technical performance, deceit, incompetence, and likely safety issues, that accompany poor decisions based on intimidation tactics. Grow proper exploration skills that support growth, and get into countries that allow for expanded running room.

Company has gone down hill since joining

Former Employee - Geoscience  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Geoscience in Houston, TX

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Resonable culture, above average pay

Cons

Lots of managers playing CTB, cover their butts
    No accountability for bizarre requests and unreasonable demands.
    Senior VP's have made promises to Wall Street that they cannot deliver on because they lack the technical know how of subsurface E&P works

Drop the 'do what I say and not what I do attitude'
    Senior managers believe that through the power of GAP that we can find all the hydrocarbons we want
    YA... tell that to the rocks deep in the ground
    Noble's success over the last 7 years was due more to luck than good science

I was working on a contract basis at the Records Center not the downtown office.

Former Employee - Land Technician  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Land Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at Noble Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Got to wear blue jeans everyday, worked 9 hours a day with Friday afternoons off.

Cons

Low pay, no chance of advancement.

Workers at the Records Center should be considered for placement at the downtown office.

Worked for Noble Energy? Contribute to the Community!