Noble Energy

Nice Company with Growing Pains

Current Employee - Senior Lease and Contracts Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Lease and Contracts Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very lucrative salary and benefits. Relaxed work atmosphere with flex schedules/ compressed schedule. Nice offices for all employees and contractors.

Cons

Going through lots of growing pains. Management is out of touch. Need to utililize the skills of people hired rather than assign jobs to be people based upon personal preference.

Utilize people properly. Be aware of your supervisors.

OK

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Platteville, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Platteville, CO

I have been working at Noble Energy

Pros

Good Benifits and working conditions

Cons

pay, everything is so secerative

better communicating

Accounting and Finance at Noble

Former Employee - Finance and Accounting
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting

I worked at Noble Energy

Pros

Company is usually profitable, compensation and benefits are competitive with other E&P companies and office accommodations are very good as professional employees generally have offices instead of cubicles. Communications from senior management are consistent and you feel like you are part of a well-run organization with a solid plan and focus.

Cons

Don't feel that credit was given for most significant contributions in performance reviews. There was no career development plan for employees where you could spend time rotating through other departments or discussions on how you could target higher level positions if performance was strong. Didn't feel that much of the work product was adding value or presented to operations in such a way that it was adding value to how the company was operating. Work/life balance was implicitly not recognized as employees were expected to be working at home when not at the office. Many employees would regularly forego awarded vacation time to gain favor of management. Employees with no families or personal hobbies were preferred as they would work more hours, and activity was recognized as superior to what was actually being accomplished or what value was being created.

In the current employment environment, Noble probably does not need much in the way of career development or true work/life balance. Should there be another oil & gas boom, Noble may experience some turnover.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Noble Energy is okay to work for but could improve.

Current Employee - Revenue Accountant
    Current Employee - Revenue Accountant

I have been working at Noble Energy

Pros

They are generous with vacation policy and they have a pension plan. The office is set up nice and they have recently remodeled floors and we have new furniture. There is plenty of room. They offer good benefits and our portion of the medical premiums is very low. I think that they care about their employees. Chuck Davidson is very nice and comes to town to communicate with the employees about how the company is doing.

Cons

Management is not very good. My manager does not communicate with the entire group - only a few. Some of the management is not held accountable for things they do. They need to improve on this area.

Provide more communication. Hold members of management more accountable.

Very inefficient processes and procedures.

Former Employee - Land Administrative Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Land Administrative Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Noble has high salaries and decent benefits. They also paid for parking. At Noble you work 9 hour days and half day every Friday. Noble is a great company, but unfortunately my department had arrogant supervisors that treated employees poorly.

Cons

Some supervisors were borderline verbally abusive. If you are not chosen as their "favorite" you will not be given any opportunity to succeed or lead projects. Noble has extremely inefficient procedures. You need to get ALL your work double/triple checked and approved, often by lower level inexperienced Analysts. They have created a culture of covering your own butt. Very slow processes and some inexperienced individuals make for a huge headache. The supervisors are extreme micro- managers. Many people on the team had poor morale. The CSB building looks and feels like a prison on the inside, no pictures, or art, just white walls and prison guard supervisors. Noble has a lot of talent, few are given encouragement and the opportunity to succeed. Many people keep their head down and fly under the radar and they only stay for the high salary. I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did if it wasn't for the high salary, but in the end my dignity and happiness prevailed. I always had extremely high performance evaluations, which was surprising considering the poor treatment I received from my supervisor. It was a very toxic work environment in my department.

Noble hires great talented people that need to be encouraged and mentored. Get rid of bully supervisors!

Was a great company, going downhill from here

Former Employee - Senior Geologist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Geologist in Houston, TX

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Used to be up-and-coming with growth, now senior management has changed-will likely be development/production oriented.
    The new building is beautiful, though don't know if and how Noble will actually grow to fill it. (Widely remarked)
    Good place for development geoscientists for the next few years.

Cons

Many will say that Noble has become too big, and is not addressing its poor quality lower level management.
    Not a place for explorers, at least until 2017. No grasp of regional geologic concepts, poor technical skills, and ability to expand into new frontiers. Many have already left.
    Near-term drop in exploration scope due to specific country alignment, and inability to gain new acreage, and consequently lower level management are so desparate given limited running room, that they are bullying employees to overstate prospects. Becoming quite corrupt. Well known to be a very siloed, non-communicative clandestine culture. Managers protect themselves by promoting incompetence around them. Not a good strategy for growth.
    Mid and late career people will receive no training or onboarding. The focus is purely on developing new hire replacements.

Become a less siloed entity, encourage cross departmental communication, exchange. Train managers in effective management, including basic measures to prevent your likely imminent, downfall through encouraging poor technical performance, deceit, incompetence, and likely safety issues, that accompany poor decisions based on intimidation tactics. Grow proper exploration skills that support growth, and get into countries that allow for expanded running room.

Company has gone down hill since joining

Former Employee - Geoscience  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Geoscience in Houston, TX

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Resonable culture, above average pay

Cons

Lots of managers playing CTB, cover their butts
    No accountability for bizarre requests and unreasonable demands.
    Senior VP's have made promises to Wall Street that they cannot deliver on because they lack the technical know how of subsurface E&P works

Drop the 'do what I say and not what I do attitude'
    Senior managers believe that through the power of GAP that we can find all the hydrocarbons we want
    YA... tell that to the rocks deep in the ground
    Noble's success over the last 7 years was due more to luck than good science

I was working on a contract basis at the Records Center not the downtown office.

Former Employee - Land Technician  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Land Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at Noble Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Got to wear blue jeans everyday, worked 9 hours a day with Friday afternoons off.

Cons

Low pay, no chance of advancement.

Workers at the Records Center should be considered for placement at the downtown office.

Lloyd Noble would be embarrassed of this business unit.

Current Employee - Title  in  Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Title in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at Noble Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Money. That's really all I can say. Money and Benefits

Cons

Arrogant managers, key personnel with lack of applicable experience. Some of the long time employees demonstrate what this business unit should be. Every time upper management comes to town it's a dog and pony show.

Smoke and mirrors only go so far. Teach a class on ETHICS since 90 percent of the people here lack them.

It's only a matter of time before it implodes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Noble Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't think of any...

Cons

No management structure whatsoever. It's a kindergartener operated by the babysitter while the parents are on a high profile vacation in Houston. It's on a matter of time until the wheels come off.

Stop promoting people from Marietta, Colorado or your "buddies" and consider the people who are actually doing the hard work and not just crying about it.

Worked for Noble Energy? Contribute to the Community!