Noble Network of Charter Schools

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
4.4

Michael Milkie

This is a fast-paced, highly supportive environment with quality employees that care about educational impacts.

Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools

Pros

This company is ideal for anybody hoping to grow from educator into a more administrative position, as Noble has great vertical growth opportunities embedded into the system. Furthermore, the skills acquired make you a competitive hire in other fields, such as policy, administrative work, business, or analytics. Finally, the benefits include merit-based bonuses, frequent opportunities for professional development, access to university resources, and a nice pipeline for employment opportunities. The staff is hard-working and extremely bright, while the students are exceptional. The students are highly-engaged, love the support of staff, and have great personalities due to the large diversity of students served.

Cons

While the bonuses can be very large, the base salary is lower than that a Chicago Public School teacher. Furthermore, the hours can be quite long for the first year but become much more relaxed once a year experience has been had. There is a large amount of pressure on results, which in my opinion is a positive as it pushes you as an educator but it can be anxiety-provoking at times.

I believe that the values are in order, but would love more opportunities to connect with high school leaders outside of the Noble Network, especially as we continue to solidify ourselves in the Chicago area.

Focused urban school district employing hard-working young professionals

Current Employee - Teacher (English)
    Current Employee - Teacher (English)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really love working with and for people that highly intelligent and committed. It makes for a really positive work environment. We're also within a certain age range so it's pretty social. There's a good deal of autonomy, and the encouragement to constantly be learning. Additionally, there's a lot more instructional support than you typically get a public schools. The benefits are great, and I generally feel very respected as an individual and as a teacher.

Cons

There's an extremely high level of accountability, and an expectation that "above and beyond" is par for the course. There's also a good deal of turnover, (many reasons for this, including reasons specific to Noble as well as the fact that teaching itself is a high turnover profession and the age range of people that work here is young, people that move around alot, etc.). However, the turnover itself can make it more difficult, because you feel like you have to reinvent the wheel every year, to a certain extent.

I think they do a great job. I'm really happy with the leadership of my school and the leadership of the network. I don't love the corporate feel, and I definitely wish they would align some of the uniform/culture expectations with the 21st century...but overall, I'm happy with the direction they generally take things.

Amazing schools that are changing the landscape of education in Chicago

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at a Noble campus means you are surrounded by dedicated, driven educators that are passionate about realizing education reform in Chicago. Teachers and support staff are offered quality professional development opportunities, and are eligible for performance bonuses. Working for such a results-oriented organization is refreshing and uplifting. Seeing so many great people engaged in this work gives me hope for education in Chicago.

Cons

All students and faculty are held to high expectations, which can sometimes mean it is difficult to find a work/life balance. However, the rewards of working for a high-performing school outweigh the stresses.

Great place to work, high expectations for others and self

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Surrounded by hard working individuals who want what is best for students. Very supportive administration. Rewarded for excellent results in both recognition and compensation.

Cons

Teaching is a difficult job to begin with. At Noble, they have a very intense focus on students, which is great but also challenging for a teacher to balance work and life.

Students and Colleagues on a Mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

It's refreshing to be surrounded by so many committed people who know they are engaged in important, meaningful work. Administrators, staff members, students and families believe that they're working toward a common goal. Students genuinely do leave their schools with the academic and personal skills to succeed in college and their careers.

Cons

Everyone has high expectations for themselves and for each other. It's a challenge to carve out time for yourself.

Professional, Inspiring, and Life-Changing

Current Employee - Noble Network Support Team in Chicago (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Noble Network Support Team in Chicago (Philippines)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've never worked with more hard-working, inspiring, and mission-driven people in my career. One of the Noble's greatest strengths is its culture and passion for students; this inspires and motivates me everyday when I come to "work." I feel completely supported and positively challenged; Noble is a place were I know that I can become a better professional and a better person. I'm proud to be Noble.

Cons

I think one area that can challenge new/prospective employees is understanding the culture. Many people feel aligned to the mission, but it does take time (like any job) to fully understand the unique, special Noble culture.

Keep inspiring, keep leading.

Committed to kids and staff

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools

Pros

Committed to providing kids with the best education possible, challenges and focuses on personal development of staff members

Cons

High stakes work means long work days, but it's worth it

A NOBLE Engagement of Our Children's Future

Current Employee - Noble Network Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Noble Network Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Superb culture. Discipline issues are minimal or non-existent. Teaching is actually going on! Certain campuses have you engaged full throttle, with a Powerpoint and the expectation for you to teach the lesson in the teacher's absence. Other campuses have busy work for the students or pertinent videos/movies for them to watch.
    Most of the principals are VERY welcoming and will learn your name quickly if you are there frequently. I only encountered one principal in Englewood, who would barely acknowledge your presence or barely speak to you when spoken to.
    The number of students going off to college at many of the campuses are 100%.

Cons

Multiple people might contact you daily. The system needs to be centralized. Currently it is not. There is no way for one campus to be aware that you are working at another campus.

Incredible Culture, Outstanding People, and Great Mission.

Current Employee - Educator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Educator in Chicago, IL

Pros

One of the most progressive, successful charter school networks in the country. Great school culture where everyone works hard and succeeds.

Cons

We put in a lot of work for our students' success - that comes with any teaching position.

At Noble, everyone works hard for a cause and comes together when you need help.

Current Employee - Algebra I Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Algebra I Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

My favorite thing about Noble is the high level of collaboration, not just within my school, but amongst all the campuses. Every quarter, you get to come together with all the other campuses to share strategies and brainstorm together. You really feel like you are a part of a team with a common mission to get more Chicago students to graduate from college.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons. I have loved my time at Noble. Yes, you put in A LOT of work, but it is all worth it.

Noble Network of Charter Schools Photos