Noble Network of Charter Schools

Updated April 13, 2015
25 reviews filtered by
4.5
Michael Milkie

1. The Noble Network provides great opportunities and atmosphere for personal and professional growth.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-Great culture
    -Supportive co-workers and administrative staff.
    -Professional Development opportunities
    -Staff really cares about students
    -Strong Leadership

Cons

-Rigid discipline system (works well for some kids, but not all)
    -Can become difficult to balance work and life

Advice to Management

-Keep up the positive and welcoming culture.

Excellent Experience at Focused & Driven School

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I work at the Golder campus of the Noble Network of Charter Schools, and I am very happy with my current job! I enjoy working at a school that has a clear vision and established values, so that my focus can be on teaching to the best of my ability. Teachers receive coaching from supportive deans and department leads and are able to take advantage of manageable schedules and ample prep time. Administration similarly offers lots of support in pushing teachers towards clear goals throughout the year.

Cons

Frequent coaching does not come without high expectations--something Noble is known for. We constantly strive for high achievement, with frequent goals to reach and strategies for tweaking and revising plans & strategies. It can be stressful. In addition, teachers may be required to take on extra responsibilities such as an advisory, which can contribute added stresses and time commitments.

Advice to Management

Build strategies to help teachers improve work/life balance!

3. Making an impact at Noble

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Golder College Prep for 7 years and really love being a part of this organization! I believe in the mission of Noble and our goal of getting students to and through college, and I feel that we are accomplishing that. My favorite part of my job is the people that I work with. Our teachers are the best of the best and have an amazing work ethic. It is great to be around staff members who are giving their all for our students. It motivates me and has helped me develop professionally.

Cons

You are definitely working longer days than the average teacher, especially if you are designing a new curriculum.

I know I am making an impact by working for the Noble Network of Charter Schools!

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason to work at a Noble school are the kids. They're amazing and gritty. The second best reason to work for Noble are my colleagues. I am surrounded by intelligent and hardworking people. No slackers in this school.

Cons

Time commitment. I feel like I could always being doing more and my job is never finished.

Advice to Management

Noble has great benefits, but to retain those amazing teachers, they need to pay them more.

This is a fast-paced, highly supportive environment with quality employees that care about educational impacts.

Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools

Pros

This company is ideal for anybody hoping to grow from educator into a more administrative position, as Noble has great vertical growth opportunities embedded into the system. Furthermore, the skills acquired make you a competitive hire in other fields, such as policy, administrative work, business, or analytics. Finally, the benefits include merit-based bonuses, frequent opportunities for professional development, access to university resources, and a nice pipeline for employment opportunities. The staff is hard-working and extremely bright, while the students are exceptional. The students are highly-engaged, love the support of staff, and have great personalities due to the large diversity of students served.

Cons

While the bonuses can be very large, the base salary is lower than that a Chicago Public School teacher. Furthermore, the hours can be quite long for the first year but become much more relaxed once a year experience has been had. There is a large amount of pressure on results, which in my opinion is a positive as it pushes you as an educator but it can be anxiety-provoking at times.

Advice to Management

I believe that the values are in order, but would love more opportunities to connect with high school leaders outside of the Noble Network, especially as we continue to solidify ourselves in the Chicago area.

Focused urban school district employing hard-working young professionals

Current Employee - Teacher (English)
    Current Employee - Teacher (English)

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really love working with and for people that highly intelligent and committed. It makes for a really positive work environment. We're also within a certain age range so it's pretty social. There's a good deal of autonomy, and the encouragement to constantly be learning. Additionally, there's a lot more instructional support than you typically get a public schools. The benefits are great, and I generally feel very respected as an individual and as a teacher.

Cons

There's an extremely high level of accountability, and an expectation that "above and beyond" is par for the course. There's also a good deal of turnover, (many reasons for this, including reasons specific to Noble as well as the fact that teaching itself is a high turnover profession and the age range of people that work here is young, people that move around alot, etc.). However, the turnover itself can make it more difficult, because you feel like you have to reinvent the wheel every year, to a certain extent.

Advice to Management

I think they do a great job. I'm really happy with the leadership of my school and the leadership of the network. I don't love the corporate feel, and I definitely wish they would align some of the uniform/culture expectations with the 21st century...but overall, I'm happy with the direction they generally take things.

Amazing schools that are changing the landscape of education in Chicago

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at a Noble campus means you are surrounded by dedicated, driven educators that are passionate about realizing education reform in Chicago. Teachers and support staff are offered quality professional development opportunities, and are eligible for performance bonuses. Working for such a results-oriented organization is refreshing and uplifting. Seeing so many great people engaged in this work gives me hope for education in Chicago.

Cons

All students and faculty are held to high expectations, which can sometimes mean it is difficult to find a work/life balance. However, the rewards of working for a high-performing school outweigh the stresses.

Great place to work, high expectations for others and self

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

Surrounded by hard working individuals who want what is best for students. Very supportive administration. Rewarded for excellent results in both recognition and compensation.

Cons

Teaching is a difficult job to begin with. At Noble, they have a very intense focus on students, which is great but also challenging for a teacher to balance work and life.

Students and Colleagues on a Mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

It's refreshing to be surrounded by so many committed people who know they are engaged in important, meaningful work. Administrators, staff members, students and families believe that they're working toward a common goal. Students genuinely do leave their schools with the academic and personal skills to succeed in college and their careers.

Cons

Everyone has high expectations for themselves and for each other. It's a challenge to carve out time for yourself.

11. Professional, Inspiring, and Life-Changing

Current Employee - Noble Network Support Team in Chicago (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Noble Network Support Team in Chicago (Philippines)

Pros

I've never worked with more hard-working, inspiring, and mission-driven people in my career. One of the Noble's greatest strengths is its culture and passion for students; this inspires and motivates me everyday when I come to "work." I feel completely supported and positively challenged; Noble is a place were I know that I can become a better professional and a better person. I'm proud to be Noble.

Cons

I think one area that can challenge new/prospective employees is understanding the culture. Many people feel aligned to the mission, but it does take time (like any job) to fully understand the unique, special Noble culture.

Advice to Management

Keep inspiring, keep leading.

Noble Network of Charter Schools Photos