Noble Network of Charter Schools

4.5
Michael Milkie

1. Rewarding but little time for home/family. Lots of hours put in

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

The families and students are definitely hard working and it is always great seeing the kids succeed with such great opportunities that are given to them.

Cons

Always a lot of work and you are expected to put in whatever hours are needed. Work/life balance is very difficult. Unless you are a teacher, profesional growth isnt really encouraged.

2. They take care of all the basic needs and structure so that teachers can focus on actually teaching.

Current Employee - ELA Teacher
    Current Employee - ELA Teacher

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to teach in a high-need area without entirely sacrificing your sanity. Though the discipline system is strict, the administration supports it 100%, so teachers are well supported.

Cons

Though the bonus structure is pretty clear, what's not at all clear is how raises work. The emphasis on ACT scores sometimes comes at the detriment of everything else.

3. The Noble Network provides great opportunities and atmosphere for personal and professional growth.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great culture
    -Supportive co-workers and administrative staff.
    -Professional Development opportunities
    -Staff really cares about students
    -Strong Leadership

Cons

-Rigid discipline system (works well for some kids, but not all)
    -Can become difficult to balance work and life

Advice to Management

-Keep up the positive and welcoming culture.

Excellent Experience at Focused & Driven School

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

I work at the Golder campus of the Noble Network of Charter Schools, and I am very happy with my current job! I enjoy working at a school that has a clear vision and established values, so that my focus can be on teaching to the best of my ability. Teachers receive coaching from supportive deans and department leads and are able to take advantage of manageable schedules and ample prep time. Administration similarly offers lots of support in pushing teachers towards clear goals throughout the year.

Cons

Frequent coaching does not come without high expectations--something Noble is known for. We constantly strive for high achievement, with frequent goals to reach and strategies for tweaking and revising plans & strategies. It can be stressful. In addition, teachers may be required to take on extra responsibilities such as an advisory, which can contribute added stresses and time commitments.

Advice to Management

Build strategies to help teachers improve work/life balance!

6. Making an impact at Noble

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Golder College Prep for 7 years and really love being a part of this organization! I believe in the mission of Noble and our goal of getting students to and through college, and I feel that we are accomplishing that. My favorite part of my job is the people that I work with. Our teachers are the best of the best and have an amazing work ethic. It is great to be around staff members who are giving their all for our students. It motivates me and has helped me develop professionally.

Cons

You are definitely working longer days than the average teacher, especially if you are designing a new curriculum.

I know I am making an impact by working for the Noble Network of Charter Schools!

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason to work at a Noble school are the kids. They're amazing and gritty. The second best reason to work for Noble are my colleagues. I am surrounded by intelligent and hardworking people. No slackers in this school.

Cons

Time commitment. I feel like I could always being doing more and my job is never finished.

Advice to Management

Noble has great benefits, but to retain those amazing teachers, they need to pay them more.

8. To and through college for our students

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

Our students not only make it to college, but all Noble network employees do their best to make sure students have the skills necessary to be successful once they get to college.
    The entire network is full of staff that dedicates their lives to bettering the next generation, who doesn't want to be a part of that?

Cons

High expectations for students, requires good follow through with teachers. causes long hours. As a first year Noble teacher, a good work-life balance is very difficult to maintain; however, there is little to no pressure about the hours. Noble staff chooses to put in these long hours.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to focus on the positive things Noble staff are doing, not just the areas that need improvement.

9. A nice community of highly successful people!

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools

Pros

Fellow teachers REALLY care and put their whole heart into the work.

Cons

Not every principal is created equal!!! I saw a few schools int he network suffer because of poor administrators and school leaders...

Great place for the high achiever to make a difference

Current Employee - Counselor
    Current Employee - Counselor

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started and continue to work at Noble because I wanted to be surrounded by educators who care as much and put in as much effort every day as I do. At my particular campus, this is true of nearly everyone I work with and it is a very unique experience to respect and be respected by so many coworkers. Our discipline code is strict, and while it is easy to find small things that you disagree with within it (Do I really think kids should get an automatic detention for possessing a sharpie?) overall I feel that our Culture is the main reason our students are able to learn so much more than most students at CPS schools - they feel safer, teachers can teach with little distraction, and students know there are high expectations for them every day. At my campus we have a strong focus on teamwork, so we ensure that everyone within a given department has the same prep period, to ensure we can have department planning meetings and collaboration within school hours. We actively work on teamwork in order to keep the focus on students. Noble, as a network, also has a strong focus on competition and collaboration, so while campuses are constantly comparing results, we are also given time and opportunities to collaborate to share best practices. I feel supported by my administration and I feel that my opinion is valued.

We are paid less than CPS educators, but often our bonus can nearly make up for this. The benefits are good - as a non-certified teacher, I don't pay into the Chicago Teachers Pension, and get a 401K match instead.

Cons

Working at Noble can easily become your life. This is my fourth year and I am only starting to not feel guilty if I don't do work at home every evening, or if I refuse to do work on Saturdays. With high expectations for students come high expectations for staff - Noble also tends to hire people with high expectations for themselves and a history of achievement. At my campus there is no one telling you that you have to work overtime - everyone just does it in order to stay afloat and meet expectations.

Amazing company that makes a difference in the life of Chicago students!

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

The work we do really matters in the life of kids. These schools put the needs of Chicago students and their families first in order to make college graduation reality.

Cons

As in most teaching jobs, work/life balance can be hard to achieve. These schools want great results for their students, so they expect great work from their teachers to make this happen.

Noble Network of Charter Schools Photos