Noble Network of Charter Schools

Michael Milkie

1. Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really great people at Noble who really care about the students.

Cons

It may be hard to seperate work and personal if you don't have a good balanced life.

2. Some schools are better than others

Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Teachers have necessary supplies for their classrooms, discipline is clear-cut

Cons

High-stress test-prep environment, inconsistent administration, expansion has gone too fast to continue to stock quality teachers

Advice to Management

Stop expanding unless the teacher pool has enough quality applicants.

3. Pros and Cons

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

Very dedicated to behavior management

Cons

Work-life balance is difficult to maintain

5. Rewarding but little time for home/family. Lots of hours put in

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time

Pros

The families and students are definitely hard working and it is always great seeing the kids succeed with such great opportunities that are given to them.

Cons

Always a lot of work and you are expected to put in whatever hours are needed. Work/life balance is very difficult. Unless you are a teacher, profesional growth isnt really encouraged.

6. They take care of all the basic needs and structure so that teachers can focus on actually teaching.

Current Employee - ELA Teacher
    Current Employee - ELA Teacher

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to teach in a high-need area without entirely sacrificing your sanity. Though the discipline system is strict, the administration supports it 100%, so teachers are well supported.

Cons

Though the bonus structure is pretty clear, what's not at all clear is how raises work. The emphasis on ACT scores sometimes comes at the detriment of everything else.

Excellent Experience at Focused & Driven School

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Math Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

I work at the Golder campus of the Noble Network of Charter Schools, and I am very happy with my current job! I enjoy working at a school that has a clear vision and established values, so that my focus can be on teaching to the best of my ability. Teachers receive coaching from supportive deans and department leads and are able to take advantage of manageable schedules and ample prep time. Administration similarly offers lots of support in pushing teachers towards clear goals throughout the year.

Cons

Frequent coaching does not come without high expectations--something Noble is known for. We constantly strive for high achievement, with frequent goals to reach and strategies for tweaking and revising plans & strategies. It can be stressful. In addition, teachers may be required to take on extra responsibilities such as an advisory, which can contribute added stresses and time commitments.

Advice to Management

Build strategies to help teachers improve work/life balance!

8. Making an impact at Noble

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Golder College Prep for 7 years and really love being a part of this organization! I believe in the mission of Noble and our goal of getting students to and through college, and I feel that we are accomplishing that. My favorite part of my job is the people that I work with. Our teachers are the best of the best and have an amazing work ethic. It is great to be around staff members who are giving their all for our students. It motivates me and has helped me develop professionally.

Cons

You are definitely working longer days than the average teacher, especially if you are designing a new curriculum.

I know I am making an impact by working for the Noble Network of Charter Schools!

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason to work at a Noble school are the kids. They're amazing and gritty. The second best reason to work for Noble are my colleagues. I am surrounded by intelligent and hardworking people. No slackers in this school.

Cons

Time commitment. I feel like I could always being doing more and my job is never finished.

Advice to Management

Noble has great benefits, but to retain those amazing teachers, they need to pay them more.

10. To and through college for our students

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

Our students not only make it to college, but all Noble network employees do their best to make sure students have the skills necessary to be successful once they get to college.
    The entire network is full of staff that dedicates their lives to bettering the next generation, who doesn't want to be a part of that?

Cons

High expectations for students, requires good follow through with teachers. causes long hours. As a first year Noble teacher, a good work-life balance is very difficult to maintain; however, there is little to no pressure about the hours. Noble staff chooses to put in these long hours.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to focus on the positive things Noble staff are doing, not just the areas that need improvement.

11. A nice community of highly successful people!

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools

Pros

Fellow teachers REALLY care and put their whole heart into the work.

Cons

Not every principal is created equal!!! I saw a few schools int he network suffer because of poor administrators and school leaders...

RSS Feed </> Embed