Noblis Reviews

Reset
3.6
Noblis President and CEO Amr A. ElSawy
Amr A. ElSawy

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Noblis is exceptional (in 9 reviews)

• The company allows reasonably flexible work hours (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • This weird time for government contracts (sequestration) is forcing a lot of government consulting companies to restructure the way they do business (in 4 reviews)

• When the company suffers, so do the opportunities to advance your career (in 2 reviews)

1. Noblis

I have been working at Noblis full-time

Pros

Great place and peaceful environment.

Cons

There is not a clearly defined professional growth for young people. It is understood that the senior has the knowledge from being in the business for years, but it is also important to train the younger ones to help them to grow more as well.

Advice to Management

Leverage off of your team members abilities to continue to grow the recent college students.

2. Company values employees through benefits, recognition

I have been working at Noblis full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits. Employee focused. Executives really care about employees. Growing and expanding rapidly. The growth Noblis is experiencing is opportunity for professional growth. I haven't been with the company for a long time but I can see that they value employees. They seem to want to do the right thing - and they can because they don't have stockholders. Noblis is a non-profit which makes the dynamics a little different from traditional organizations. No company is perfect but I would recommend this organization because good intent goes a long way.

Cons

Growing fast so the company lacks the maturity and processes it takes to efficiently conduct business. They just don't know what they don't know.

Advice to Management

Hire people from larger organizations who have the experience to help mature the structure and processes of the company.

3. Concerned for the companies future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Noblis (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful Facility, very safe and clean, great food service

Cons

The leadership (top leaders) are unorganized, There's no tie for focus on the work, always dreaming up new non-value added stuff to do. Leadership wants you to think they care, that's to get the revenue in and in crease there bonuses.

Advice to Management

Spend more time understanding the work and not only the bottom line

5. Awesome environment to work at.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, VA

I have been working at Noblis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working here, and love the people I work with. It's not super sized or too small of a company, so you get a good balance of corporate and family feel. The company itself is expanding at a fast rate with their recent acquisitions. Its an overall friendly environment, which starts from the top. I enjoy the leadership here, and they definitely take care of their employees with the great benefits and events.

Cons

My only concern is my career growth and future opportunity. Its a great place to start your career, but could look limiting when you are young. Depending on what department you are in turnover is relatively low, and its hard to move up the ladder. I myself don't enjoy the Career Band system they implemented here, but its not horrible.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Don't forget the employees, no matter how successful and large the company becomes.

A shell of a great company

Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Noblis (More than 3 years)

Pros

- There are some interesting projects - All the beltway bandits are about the same and this one is no different - Pay is competitive

Cons

- too much favoritism. The upper management does not have technical skills to evaluate technical topics that come up so they put their trust in some young, up and coming leaders to manage and lead, but often these leaders are immature, lack management experience, and are the ones with mouthpieces, not technical wisdom. -The company is under strain to find new projects. It is stressful for everyone involved.

Advice to Management

Hire some senior leaders who know how to manage and have technical expertise and wisdom. Do not listen to all of the snake oil salespeople in your company. Your company is full of them.

Consistently voted "best of"

I worked at Noblis full-time

Pros

Company wins lots of "best of awards. Pleasant working environment

Cons

Off site locations feel dislocated from headquarters--may be a pro, not a con?!

Advice to Management

Career mobility and the ability to move to different contract work seems stifled.

8. All about appearances

I have been working at Noblis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, especially retirement account contributions.

Cons

It is all for show. Noblis has a policy that if your work location is closed, you can stay at home and charge the time to an overhead number. What a great idea! Oh, but during the recent rioting in Baltimore the office there was closed by management for the safety of the employees, yet in spite of the policy they were told to make up the time afterwards. The policy, like other aspects of the company, are all for show.

Advice to Management

Follow your own policy.

Good company to work for if you only need a job not a career

Current Employee - Career Band III in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Career Band III in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Noblis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company treats its employee well in general, provide lots of support to the employees,especially early career ones

Cons

Lack of career growth. Some got promoted to management are because of good track record. Severely lack of career growth for mid-career professionals

Advice to Management

Promote people with good track records and some technical background, not those who can only talk the talk. BTW, career band for job title sounds terrible, whoever invented it should be fired.

One of the better places to work in D.C.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Noblis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Awesome benefits (403b, HSA with a large yearly contribution, 4 weeks of vacation to start) * Casual atmosphere (not casual dress, unfortunately) * Competitive salary * Great work / life balance * Opportunities to work on different projects within the company

Cons

Software product development is not Noblis' strength, yet that is my job. I often feel that we lack support for what we are trying to do (equipment, software, dedicated QA, etc.). There is a lack of good leadership on my project and I am never sure who is in charge. There is no accountability for bad behavior and people get away with things that they should not.

Advice to Management

Software development is a craft that is very different from the activities of many individuals at Noblis. It has its own requirements for success. I understand that the culture at Noblis is now all about collaboration, but software developers cannot succeed at their tasks without a large amount of individual focus.

11. Good

Pros

I interned there for 2 months. My experience was absolutely positive. Great benefits, workplace environment, and career opportunities.

Cons

Probably had to do with my job, but I was just not interested in my work. More my fault than the company's.

RSS Feed </> Embed