Noblis

Noblis Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Noblis President and CEO Amr A. ElSawy

Amr A. ElSawy

Pros
  • They provide a great work/life balance I have not seen elsewhere(in 5 reviews)

• They provide a collaborative work environment, individual development and a supportive management team(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Massive levels of degrees don't always equate to real business experience; the company doesn't seem to get this idea(in 3 reviews)

• Noblis is an overall great place to work(in 3 reviews)

WORKING AT NOBLIS AS AN INTERN

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIts an exciting environment to learn as an intern. Managers allow you to bring your ideas to the table and they guide you to develop them with constructive criticisms.

ConsNo cons observed since I was there for only two months.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the intern program running.

Anything to win a contract

ProsAh, discount tickets? I can't think of much else.

ConsThe CEO and a Government customer agreed that, for the company to be awarded a major contract, by the end of the first year most 'highly compensated' employees would have to be removed from the contract and be replaced by 'cheap' employees. The employees to be removed -- including me -- were not informed of this clause until eight months into the contract. The company has no other positions for any of us. But, hey, they won the contract.

Not sure where we are headed

We Don't Have Job Titles Anymore (Current Employee)

ProsI’ve seen the comments on here and you can easily tell who has been jaded by a bad experience, and who is writing for the organization. Meaning they are writing based on emotions in the moment, rather than what the experience of working here is actually like.

So the good. The company is getting younger, the benefits are good, and the pay is great, for what you do.

ConsThe Cons. The company is getting younger due to an exodus, often unwilling by senior associates. I’ve had the benefit of working for three different groups (divisions) either directly or on an as needed basis. The organization is getting younger because of the type of work we are winning, and losing. 12-10 years ago the company (Mitretek then Noblis later on) was a forward thinking, research based organization which presented a lot of good ideas which at the time, were unique and progressive for the federal government environment. From that, the organization developed and hired those individuals who could continue to meet the future needs of clients, current and prospective.

However in the last 6-5 years, there has been a shift from being a leader in our field, to just surviving. This has led to many of those senior, experienced and highly knowledgeable people leaving. The circumstances range from no longer having an opportunity for advancement due to the lack of meaningful work, to the infusion of a younger work force who are working on a task by task basis, rather than a long term objective, or the inability to be promoted based on work, but rather who you know.

As I mentioned the pay is good, if not great for noblis employees. For the work you would do at any other contractor you are likely going to get a 10% more here than you will at say BAH, or similar. However, that gets back to the type of employees we are hiring. Most of the recent hires over the last 3 years in all groups have been students who were interns or those looking for a new experience after a few years working somewhere else. As the older employees have left or were asked to leave, we are replacing them across the organization with a younger generation. This allows us to pay well, but also pay well based on the work and the task. We pay people a bit better based on the task at hand, to maximize what we can earn from each FTE on the program. This is perfectly legal and just the way contractors do business. Related to this are the benefits. If you are a young, single person you will pay a great rate for health insurance. However, if you are married, as many of my colleagues are, you will pay a significant premium for less benefits. While the actual monthly rate for health insurance has not gone up in quite some time, the benefits you get for that same amount of money have decreased. You have a very high deductible as well, and if you look at the national average add about 30% to that, or so. That is not a type o. With these kind of benefits, you can clearly see the strategic long term goal of the company, which is to hire young, work quick, and on a task by task basis.

These ties into the type of work being completed. This is where I will say noblis still has the ability to shine, depending on what you do and where you work, as well as “who” you work for. The various site offices have become their own fiefdoms, with managers and directors being appointed more by the organizational hierarchy, rather than from performance. Nearly anyone who is placed into a management role, skipping ahead of their peers will succeed, especially when they are only accountable to “senior” management, rather than following the traditional career progression of doing good work and being promoted by your boss and such. Unfortunately, the word “nepotism” has crept into the environment, in a more than obvious way. This has happened and has led to more senior individuals willingly leaving the organization, which makes sense. If you can only be promoted based on a relationship with senior management and such, rather than on work, knowledge and skills, why stay? As I said we still shine in various areas, but that is becoming the exception, rather than the rule. I should clarify that I am speaking as someone who works on client based programs and initiatives. The staff positions for the organization are not the basis of this review. I will say that they are very stable, have little turnover, and ironically, are compensated much less than the industry average. These include but are not limited to HR, Finance, Recruiting, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wanted to write this review because I feel it is fact based, and not based on a bad day, experience, or situation which I’ve seen in some of the posts previously. This is just how it is as the organization, at this moment in time. There have been and still are a lot of good people at noblis, and there are some waiting in the wings for the future. The biggest threat is the loss of objectivity by all levels of management on who should be promoted and hired. There is a definite boys, and girls club, and it is steadily growing for those that are fortunate enough to be a part of the work in which these views are allowed to thrive. We do have legacy individuals and teams which also do good work; boots on the ground, assisting clients, delivering good work and winning new work. The latter is the group which I joined years ago. I hope that Noblis will continue to do well, but also get back to the traits, which enabled us to thrive, not just survive. Any time nepotistic decisions are made for an individual, as mentioned above, the credibility, and more importantly, morale of the organization goes down.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was great, going downhill fast

Manager (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsNice office, but we're moving in a year or two. Good cafeteria. Good clients. Interesting work. A few good managers.

ConsCliques. The favorite few get the plum assignments, special training, and can go to conferences. Everyone else has to pay for their own training and conferences. Promotions are promised but not given. Interns have special program to make life here look exciting, but it is not.
    Older staff are being let go to drop average salaries, but critical skills have been lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the firing. Have every level of management go through an anonymous review by all employees, not just direct reports. Ask about fairness and caring and communication and attitude toward all employees. Do not ask middle and senior managers - they protect the favorites.

Agile and Forward Thinking Employees

Mid-Level Professional (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsCollaborative team player environment. Good flexibility and sense of purpose. Those who take initiative can find good opportunities for learning and enjoy the open door policy of top management. Very strong employee centered President.

ConsKeeping up with changing pace of government and bureaucracy in process that is out of our control. Need to team with small business for government opportunities often limits scope we can chase after.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be transparent with communications. Keep employees informed and armed with information that helps growth and personal development. Offer CLARITY in direction of organization and ways in which employees can continue to help in Noblis' success.

Good employee benefits, especially the retirement plan

Technical Staff (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsThe retirement plan is generous and robust. Noblis' HR department is very informative and friendly. The healthcare package is pretty nice and they have a great wellness plan that offers you many options to improving your overall health. Gym on site, Nutritionist that can provide you with a personalized nutritional plan and very nice Cafeteria with numerous food choices.

Noblis also has a good telecommuting policy.

ConsCommunication from uppper management is a little slow in being provided to the employees. The traffic in this area is very challenging, expecially on bad weather days. There is very little interactions between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease communication across the board. Encourage more group sharing and communications across the company.

Extremely rewarding experience

Software Intern (Former Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsVery friendly environment! People there seems to be happy and enjoy their work. The community feel is really great.

ConsThe pay is good, but there is no stipend for housing even if you come from far, far away.

Not a place to work, a toxic work environment

Software Developer (Former Employee)

Prosnice gym, good life work balance, in comparasion the pay is fair. The type of work is engaging at times, some people are ok to work with.

ConsA closed work culture, the benefits are industrial level. The management and career development are poor, are left to fight your own thru the politics.

Used to be a great place to work. Executive management in recent years has changed the atmosphere.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe work and clients are interesting, colleagues are generally smart and engaged in doing a good job. The company has good benefits.

ConsIf you work at a location outside of corporate HQ you are invisible for promotions. There is a culture of only certain people being repeatedly recognized for success.

Great people and a mission you can be proud of

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsInteresting work for the most part, intellectually challenging, opportunities to improve government effectiveness, awesome co-workers and best benefits in the contractor world. Most of your co-workers will be very smart and team-oriented - far more than the normal environment. Unique in the government contracting world, this company has very strong ethics.

ConsSome consulting gigs have more than their share of tedium. There is occasional instability in the work program. This is consulting, so everyone is a salesman to some extent, but Noblis does not pressure employees on this. It's more of an optional plus.

Worked for Noblis? Contribute to the Community!