Noblis Reviews

Updated September 6, 2014
3.7

Noblis President and CEO Amr A. ElSawy
Amr A. ElSawy

Pros
  • They provide a great work/life balance I have not seen elsewhere (in 5 reviews)

• They provide a collaborative work environment, individual development and a supportive management team (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Massive levels of degrees don't always equate to real business experience; the company doesn't seem to get this idea (in 3 reviews)

• Noblis is an overall great place to work (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Simply A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Noblis full-time

Pros

The individuals who work here are extremely talented. Senior leadership really does contribute to a positive environment for both the business and the individual. This is exceptionally difficult for most enterprises in today's frequently changing federal contracting market. The benefits as a whole are far better than other employers compared against in the private sector. The subsidiaries which Noblis has decided to invest are brilliant decisions to take advantage of future growth areas. The work/life balance at Noblis is exceptional. HR's CPR system offers an effective mechanism to ensure career growth. Easily, a place you can call home for your entire career.

Cons

Senior leadership needs the best information possible to ensure the best decisions. At times, there are cases where junior management suppresses, ignores, changes or misrepresents information coming from their department.

Keep up the excellent work environment - Noblis is indeed a great place to work and will be for the foreseeable future. Noblis should fund leadership training for all junior management making a point to include communication and representing all of their assigned resources/functions to the director level and up.

Viewpoint of an Intern

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Noblis as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people you will work with are all genuinely good people. I never had a dull moment, and the sheer amount of brain power that surrounds you is astonishing. The program is meant to establish good relations between Noblis and the interns, and to my knowledge no intern left with a sour taste in their mouth, regardless of whether or not they received a job offer at the end of the internship/

Cons

The interns as a whole wish the projects that each different intern was working on was more transparent at the beginning of the internship, and that at times they had not been confined to only one project.

Continue to foster new talent across all mission areas.

Good company with great benefits and work-life balance and the opportunity to improve.

Current Employee - Staff  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Staff in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Noblis full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great work-life balance including generous PTO for younger employees and flexible work schedule
    - Intelligent coworkers
    - above average compensation including great benefits such as great retirement package
    - potential to work on projects across the company e.g. in national security, transportation, environmental, healthcare
    - nonprofit organization

Cons

- can be difficult to network if your job location is not the Falls Church office (headquarters)
    - difficult to get funds for professional development, professional organizations, or for attendance to conferences
    - Noblis' independent status in some mission areas (which gives Noblis the ability to offer acquisition consulting services) limits getting some types of technical work such as design/optimization. This can be frustrating if you are looking to build your own personal technical experience. Many of the senior staff have already come to Noblis with ample design experience that you may not be able to get at Noblis
    - a lot of the company is focused on IT work (this is great if your background is in systems engineering, computer science etc.)
    - some of the benefits are only available to Falls Church employees

Encourage more professional development among technical staff. Encourage young technical staff to join professional organizations. This is great for meeting our client and to see how the competition is doing things. Keep growing the company while maintaining the quality Noblis is known for. Try to work on improving communication between the various site offices.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So far so good

I have been working at Noblis

Pros

Recent acquisition by Noblis. What we've seen so far looks good. Committed to technology and building a positive work environment.

Cons

Communication could be a bit better. We're still an outpost from the main part of the company.

WORKING AT NOBLIS AS AN INTERN

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Noblis as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Its an exciting environment to learn as an intern. Managers allow you to bring your ideas to the table and they guide you to develop them with constructive criticisms.

Cons

No cons observed since I was there for only two months.

Keep the intern program running.

On the decline

I have been working at Noblis full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Noblis has a very flexible work schedule that is incredibly attractive including flexible work hours and telecommuting opportunities. The work being performed is interesting and the facility itself has some very interesting perks such as the large space on the 8th floor used for collaborative efforts complete with labs walled off with glass giving it a very forward thinking feel.

Noblis is great place to start a career, however...

Cons

Noblis seems less interested in hiring highly capable people and more interested in hiring people who look good on paper in order to win contracts. For example, people have been put into management roles without demonstrating the ability to properly manage. They are simply granted this opportunity due to the paper based qualifications (degrees). Those that have proven themselves through work experience are slowly being pushed out in what has been termed as "the soft landing." Noblis will not outright fire an employee unless the individual has become disruptive. Instead they will slowly remove work from an individual, putting them into a part time role. This essentially pushes highly capable employees out until they have had enough and leave on their own terms. By pushing out the more experienced employees and bringing in younger, cheaper employees, Noblis has been able to cut costs to be more competitive. It seems as though Noblis' strategy is win contracts by being cheap, not by being highly capable.

Budget problems seem to plague projects on a yearly basis. Either spend plans are not well executed or funding is not what it used to be but many projects are playing hot potato, passing employees around to other projects to save a buck here and there in an attempt to not overspend. While this has led to an opportunity to work on other projects, it has removed any sense of stability and has left employees wondering "where will I be tomorrow?"

While I wouldn't advise avoiding Noblis as a potential workplace, I would advise asking yourself one thing: are you looking to advance your career? Go somewhere else. Are you looking to BEGIN your career? You found the right place.

Just because people look good on paper, doesn't mean they can execute. The experience of employees is something that should be rewarded, not punished. You have been pushing out highly capable people to bring in less capable, less experienced crowds. Stop trying to win because you've assembled a cheap team. Win because you've assembled a team of highly capable, experienced professionals. For the best of reasons.

Anything to win a contract

I have been working at Noblis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ah, discount tickets? I can't think of much else.

Cons

The CEO and a Government customer agreed that, for the company to be awarded a major contract, by the end of the first year most 'highly compensated' employees would have to be removed from the contract and be replaced by 'cheap' employees. The employees to be removed -- including me -- were not informed of this clause until eight months into the contract. The company has no other positions for any of us. But, hey, they won the contract.

Not sure where we are headed

Current Employee - We Don't Have Job Titles Anymore
    Current Employee - We Don't Have Job Titles Anymore

I have been working at Noblis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I’ve seen the comments on here and you can easily tell who has been jaded by a bad experience, and who is writing for the organization. Meaning they are writing based on emotions in the moment, rather than what the experience of working here is actually like.

So the good. The company is getting younger, the benefits are good, and the pay is great, for what you do.

Cons

The Cons. The company is getting younger due to an exodus, often unwilling by senior associates. I’ve had the benefit of working for three different groups (divisions) either directly or on an as needed basis. The organization is getting younger because of the type of work we are winning, and losing. 12-10 years ago the company (Mitretek then Noblis later on) was a forward thinking, research based organization which presented a lot of good ideas which at the time, were unique and progressive for the federal government environment. From that, the organization developed and hired those individuals who could continue to meet the future needs of clients, current and prospective.

However in the last 6-5 years, there has been a shift from being a leader in our field, to just surviving. This has led to many of those senior, experienced and highly knowledgeable people leaving. The circumstances range from no longer having an opportunity for advancement due to the lack of meaningful work, to the infusion of a younger work force who are working on a task by task basis, rather than a long term objective, or the inability to be promoted based on work, but rather who you know.

As I mentioned the pay is good, if not great for noblis employees. For the work you would do at any other contractor you are likely going to get a 10% more here than you will at say BAH, or similar. However, that gets back to the type of employees we are hiring. Most of the recent hires over the last 3 years in all groups have been students who were interns or those looking for a new experience after a few years working somewhere else. As the older employees have left or were asked to leave, we are replacing them across the organization with a younger generation. This allows us to pay well, but also pay well based on the work and the task. We pay people a bit better based on the task at hand, to maximize what we can earn from each FTE on the program. This is perfectly legal and just the way contractors do business. Related to this are the benefits. If you are a young, single person you will pay a great rate for health insurance. However, if you are married, as many of my colleagues are, you will pay a significant premium for less benefits. While the actual monthly rate for health insurance has not gone up in quite some time, the benefits you get for that same amount of money have decreased. You have a very high deductible as well, and if you look at the national average add about 30% to that, or so. That is not a type o. With these kind of benefits, you can clearly see the strategic long term goal of the company, which is to hire young, work quick, and on a task by task basis.

These ties into the type of work being completed. This is where I will say noblis still has the ability to shine, depending on what you do and where you work, as well as “who” you work for. The various site offices have become their own fiefdoms, with managers and directors being appointed more by the organizational hierarchy, rather than from performance. Nearly anyone who is placed into a management role, skipping ahead of their peers will succeed, especially when they are only accountable to “senior” management, rather than following the traditional career progression of doing good work and being promoted by your boss and such. Unfortunately, the word “nepotism” has crept into the environment, in a more than obvious way. This has happened and has led to more senior individuals willingly leaving the organization, which makes sense. If you can only be promoted based on a relationship with senior management and such, rather than on work, knowledge and skills, why stay? As I said we still shine in various areas, but that is becoming the exception, rather than the rule. I should clarify that I am speaking as someone who works on client based programs and initiatives. The staff positions for the organization are not the basis of this review. I will say that they are very stable, have little turnover, and ironically, are compensated much less than the industry average. These include but are not limited to HR, Finance, Recruiting, etc.

I wanted to write this review because I feel it is fact based, and not based on a bad day, experience, or situation which I’ve seen in some of the posts previously. This is just how it is as the organization, at this moment in time. There have been and still are a lot of good people at noblis, and there are some waiting in the wings for the future. The biggest threat is the loss of objectivity by all levels of management on who should be promoted and hired. There is a definite boys, and girls club, and it is steadily growing for those that are fortunate enough to be a part of the work in which these views are allowed to thrive. We do have legacy individuals and teams which also do good work; boots on the ground, assisting clients, delivering good work and winning new work. The latter is the group which I joined years ago. I hope that Noblis will continue to do well, but also get back to the traits, which enabled us to thrive, not just survive. Any time nepotistic decisions are made for an individual, as mentioned above, the credibility, and more importantly, morale of the organization goes down.

Was great, going downhill fast

Current Employee - Manager  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Noblis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nice office, but we're moving in a year or two. Good cafeteria. Good clients. Interesting work. A few good managers.

Cons

Cliques. The favorite few get the plum assignments, special training, and can go to conferences. Everyone else has to pay for their own training and conferences. Promotions are promised but not given. Interns have special program to make life here look exciting, but it is not.
    Older staff are being let go to drop average salaries, but critical skills have been lost.

Stop the firing. Have every level of management go through an anonymous review by all employees, not just direct reports. Ask about fairness and caring and communication and attitude toward all employees. Do not ask middle and senior managers - they protect the favorites.

Agile and Forward Thinking Employees

Current Employee - Mid-Level Professional  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Professional in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Noblis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collaborative team player environment. Good flexibility and sense of purpose. Those who take initiative can find good opportunities for learning and enjoy the open door policy of top management. Very strong employee centered President.

Cons

Keeping up with changing pace of government and bureaucracy in process that is out of our control. Need to team with small business for government opportunities often limits scope we can chase after.

Continue to be transparent with communications. Keep employees informed and armed with information that helps growth and personal development. Offer CLARITY in direction of organization and ways in which employees can continue to help in Noblis' success.

Worked for Noblis? Contribute to the Community!