Nokia

Nokia Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated May 21, 2014

Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri

Rajeev Suri

Pros
  • Excellent values within the company and good work /life balance can be achieved (in 208 reviews)

• The people are very intelligent and friendly (for the most part); casual work environment (in 111 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's hard to drive results because to much politics is involved in decision-making (in 45 reviews)

• There are so many re-orgs, basically one every 3 or 4 months (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights
18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Proswork life balance is there.
    Flexible working hours possibility
    salary as per industry standards
    team culture

Consnot performing well now a days because of competition specifically in US

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be highly tested for better user experience

Overall good but down turn with Elop

User Experience (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFinnish culture is amazing. Collaborative and family life balance.

ConsElop drove the company into the ground with the Burning Platform speech the rest is history

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the old ways of business quality and focusing on customer feedback and needs.

Great place to work unil 2009, then just a waste of time

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsA company that once had great values and an inspiring working environment.

ConsUntil the end of 2009 Nokia was an exciting and inspiring place to work in. People were passionate about their jobs. But then the iPhone market disruption kicked in and the management kept ignoring it. As a result profits and sales volumes fell. Reorgs were constant, people were treated bad and nobody did any work whatsoever, people waited for things to get in order again and normal work to resume. Then came new CEO Elop who dropped the bomb and the company was in a downward spiral until sold for peanuts. All was lost. A shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead your Jim Collins:
    Stage 1: Hubris Born of Success
    Stage 2: Undisciplined Pursuit of More
    Stage 3: Denial of Risk and Peril
    Stage 4: Grasping for Salvation
    Stage 5: Capitulation to Irrelevance or Death

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company overall...however might have bit off more than it can chew

Supervisor (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsTalented individuals who worked together strongly as a team

ConsLack of direction in certain cases by upper management; poor to downright awful top-down communication in many instances

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to look closer, listen harder and communicate more effectively with those under your charge.

A good place to advance a career and gain valuable skills, but ultimately lacking in needed speed and agility.

Senior User Experience Designer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFlexible schedule, good pay, generous 401k match, great teams, and some exciting projects with a tremendous potential audience reach.

ConsThe company suffers from excessive red tape, duplication of efforts, too many cooks in the kitchen, and one hand not talking to the other. This slows down the product cycle and ultimately makes the company less competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to deliver and let them do so. The vast majority of them are creative, talented, driven, and eager to get solutions out the door to customers.

Good company to work for

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsInnovative technology, good benefits, provide you trainings needed

Consmanagement culture is bad, there is a big gap between management and engineer

Advice to Senior Managementcut middle and lower management, cut product management, program management

Good company - wrong direction

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood atmosphere, interesting projects with lot's of flexibility.

ConsBloated middle management. Slow decision making.

Great company with lots of variety in projects

Software Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWork with great people. Project teams have a lot of control over the tools and processes that they want to use. Global experience.

ConsHealth of the company is not very good at the time of this review.

Good company, with the best intentions

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood Work-Life Balance. Great people and company treats them well. Some interesting projects. Great global company, that cares about people and the environment (manufactures phones cleaning as possible).

ConsLarge company, so things take time to get done. The past two years (and the next) wil have lots of reorganizations, with reduction in staff, to save costs and stream line projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the moral up. When you reorg with reductions - continue the practice of caring for your employees, like you are currently doing (assistance with job search, fair packages, enough notice for families to adjust). We understand the business need to streamline.

A risky environment for jobs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood company ethics, good benefits.

Conslots of reorgs going on.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter planning is needed to sustain what is currently left.

Worked for Nokia? Contribute to the Community!