Nokia

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.6 1,256 reviews

Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri

Rajeev Suri

Pros
  • Excellent values within the company and good work /life balance can be achieved(in 208 reviews)

• The people are very intelligent and friendly (for the most part); casual work environment(in 111 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's hard to drive results because to much politics is involved in decision-making(in 45 reviews)

• There are so many re-orgs, basically one every 3 or 4 months(in 29 reviews)

1,256 Employee Reviews

Fun but long hours

ProsThere's a lot of activities that our team does together (lunches out, poker nights, etc.).

ConsLong hours when deadlines approach.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing that I can think of. We just need better products for the US market.

Fun work environment, not so fun work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe work environment has been fun and relaxed. They're really trying hard to make the Agile thing work, and management is fortunately on board with it. We get nice perks like free fruit daily and sometimes free lunches. Also the occasional sponsored happy hour. Engineers have plenty of opportunities to be heard and make a difference.

ConsThe company's uncertain future makes many people uneasy. The group I've worked with in Chicago isn't exactly working with the worlds latest technologies, which can be frustrating. Some projects have been more fun than others. While management is pushing for Agile, they're unable to deal with certain engineers that are pretty against it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt might be time to lay off some of the people that are fighting the work environment you're pushing for, and make room for some more that fit in to it.

Exciting

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture at Nokia is a star. Management is quite friendly which helps an employee to suggest and work independently. Some projects are really good and there is lot of collaboration within and in-between the teams.

ConsSometimes the technology used within the organization may not be beneficial for the career progress, and can become obsolete very fast

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was good

Verification Specialist (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosprovided phone, paid your phone bill, a lot of events, free coffee and snacks, great environment, high quality training

Consstressful, tight schedule, priorities kept shifting very often and had to work overtime sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementGive others a heads up of what we might be expecting or updating of some related details to prepare the team

Great company that values employees personal issues.

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsNokia tries to stay very current. They are also a very global company. You will learn things about markets in other parts of the world that you did not think about before.

They respect their employees, and provide nice features in the buildings and benefits that they offer. Very considerate of employees.

Finland is great; if you get a chance to go there on a business trip - TAKE IT!

ConsThe effect of aligning too closely with Microsoft meant the end of many promising products that went in other directions. Too bad, since in high tech you really need to keep many future options available.

Working here is great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsI have a great boss, great location and great pay.

ConsUndervalued as an intern. Significantly younger than coworkers. I informed a friend of an internship at my company who got a full-time offer well before me.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp me progress and be better at my job rather than having me find my way all on my own.

Great while it lasted

Product Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and colleagues. Some great assets in terms of technologies.

Constoo many re-orgs which lead to constant shifts in focus.

Stimulating company with a great ethic but ultimately not paranoid enough to hold their #1 worldwide mobility position.

Emerging Opportunities (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsA truly global company that understands the local needs of almost every country in the world.

ConsBlind spots about competition with a culture of caution and "no".

Advice to Senior ManagementSplit the company into 3 logical units: US, Europe, ROW.

Nokia is still a great place

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat people all across the globe that are excited to work in many different aspects to create iconic products connecting happy customers. My management team was great, but it differs greatly from group to group.

Conseach site is different, but always a good vibe and energetic colleagues. Tough to see the amount of change that was inflicted on the company by changing industry trends and the required management action to try and stabilize

Good people, somewhat clueless senior leadership

Senior Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAutonomy. Opportunity to tackle big and interesting issues

ConsThe autonomy exists because senior leaders didn't (and some still don't) fully understand the concept of ecosystem...thereby running the company into the ground. Finnish nepotism...

Advice to Senior ManagementAt this point...it's too late

Worked for Nokia? Contribute to the Community!