Nokia

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.6 1,256 reviews

Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri

Rajeev Suri

Pros
  • Excellent values within the company and good work /life balance can be achieved(in 207 reviews)

• The people are very intelligent and friendly (for the most part); casual work environment(in 110 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's hard to drive results because to much politics is involved in decision-making(in 45 reviews)

• There are so many re-orgs, basically one every 3 or 4 months(in 29 reviews)

1,256 Employee Reviews

Great Experience for a Summer Internship

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat place to work, great people, great pay

ConsSeems like there aren't many opportunities for interns to return to the company as full-time employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating!

Work at Over the Air lab to measure the performance of antenna in the Nokia's handsets.

Test Engineer (Former Employee) Irving, TX

Pros- This is not only a fine opportunity, but this company is a place where my qualifications can make a difference, to gain more experience and grow professionally.

ConsSpent to much money, need to cut down the travel when it is needed.
    Need to have products that make customers crazy therefore they will have the big profits.

Opportunities, environment, uncertainty

Principal Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Great location in Chicago, convenient to public transit
    - The subject matter is really interesting and challenging
    - Well-maintained workplace in Chicago, free Keurig coffee, free gym, etc.
    - A lot of bright, motivated colleagues
    - Sale of Devices & Services rids us of unprofitable business units
    - Generous paid time off for long-time staff

Cons- Rapidly changing industry; the company is betting the farm on products that may or may not succeed
    - Some key functions like HR Benefits are outsourced, and the providers are largely useless and unresponsive
    - A lot of ambiguity in software architecture: groups have can do what they want, but things don't always work together"
    - Incentive-bonus schemes have mostly been empty promises.

Advice to Senior Management- There is a void without a chief technologist.
    - Don't overpromise bonuses: come up with a plan that works.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manufacturing worker at Ft Worth factory

Operator (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsTime off. Twelve hour shifts with three-four days off in a row. Clean work environment. Worked there from 1994-97.

ConsMost employees had limited English language skills. Management preferred Vietnamese and Laotians over Americans. Having a degree was a disadvantage. Nepotism run wild.

Advice to Senior ManagementOther than the ten year tax break, there are reasons Nokia's manufacturing in the US was substandard. They refused to utilize employee suggestions or standard quality control measures.

Overall OK experience, however becareful until MS has settled

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEasy work climate, diverse oppinions matters, ok benefits, MS take over could be seen as a new chance will be given to Nokia devices under a new owner

ConsLack of proper career opportunities and training, lack of confidence for senior mgmt has vanished a couple of years ago,

Nokia is at a crossroads, the acquisition by Microsoft will determine if the brand will survive in the US.

Sales Trainer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsNokia's outlook is improving, they have strong market share in some developing markets and will soon benefit from access to more capital.

ConsNokia has been in a downward spiral for over a decade. During my time there I saw many layoffs and huge increases in the demands on remaining employees. With the acquisition by Microsoft hopefully things will stabilize.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for feedback from your employees and use this information to design engagement and career development programs. Reward dedication and hard work in your employees. Implement 360 reviews for mid level managers.

Best job ever until they laid me off

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were many hidden perks!

ConsThe company was managed poorly causing poor earnings which led to closing down many facilities and letting many highly qualified people go.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication patterns and reward loyalty and skill.

The company appears to be changing

ProsGlobal reach
    Focus on design
    Lots of brand value

ConsBad management
    Poor allocation of budget
    No room for contractor growth

Great learning opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGave me multiple Opportunities to learn new technologies and trends. Learning was emphasized and encouraged. Exposure to global teams. Great benefits for the US employees.

ConsIn the last 2-3 years, the company has undergone too many changes. Lack of Management focus and long term planning. Very unstable atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the long term. Be more transparent. Recognize the good people and reward them

on the upswing

Prossalary benefits work life balance

Conscurrent uncertainty on MS move

Worked for Nokia? Contribute to the Community!