Nokia

Updated Jul 20, 2014

3.6 1,253 reviews

Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri

Rajeev Suri

Pros
  • Excellent values within the company and good work /life balance can be achieved(in 207 reviews)

• The people are very intelligent and friendly (for the most part); casual work environment(in 110 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's hard to drive results because to much politics is involved in decision-making(in 45 reviews)

• There are so many re-orgs, basically one every 3 or 4 months(in 29 reviews)

1,253 Employee Reviews

Breeds loyalty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company treats people better than any other I have experienced. They are truly concerned with the well being of the individual. Nokia allows for a great deal of autonomy, flexibility, and career growth. I loved my time with Nokia.

ConsPoor company performance leads to instability. Poor communication from senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove transparency in communications with employeers

Great company on downwards spiral

Program Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsPeople, open discussion, compensation, benefits

ConsNo strategy, no clear vision, bad leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine strategy and stick to it for a while

Nokia was one of the best companies I have ever been a part of

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture, the people, the values, all are exceptional.

ConsNothing bad to say here

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent environment and people with new high tech challenges with every new product.

Product Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat culture, work life balance and people that value their employees & customers. Perks often include using or access to latest technology in smart phones, and often international contacts and travel.

ConsCareer paths were often limited, pay & other benefits were not always as competitive as top tech companies

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better opportunities for career growth

Senior IT architect for manufacturing, R&D and datacenters

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosflexible working hours. When job was done you could go for example see dentist

Consmicromanagement and silos in the IT organizations

Advice to Senior Managementopen up silos and take off magnifying glass

How culture can sometimes affect company performance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, international environment, smart devices managed to change its portfolio of products.

ConsSome other parts like HERE have sold a dream for long and overall many committees, lack of decision and outside of some parts which re-organised themselves effectively, too much politics

Fragmented, with the Bay area trying to call the shots for the San Diego office

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rancho Bernardo, CA

ProsThe department managers are true professionals and committed to their goals and team members.

ConsThe HR function has a bizzare approach and non-professional manner in handling decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to have cohesive and unified approach at all US locations, a method to ensure all of Nokia US is structured to have the SAME goals and paths to get there; using an in-synch methodology.

Specialist

Specialist (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosbenefits is above average, leadership culture is moderate, working environment is easy and plenty of vacation time and so on.

ConsPersonal growth is limited, compensation is average, promotions are limited, reward system is average, accountability is unclear and so on.

Territory Sales Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of phones to play with, fun annual retreats

Cons6AM Conference calls, getting laid-off when the company tanked.

Advice to Senior Managementremain competitive, follow trends not 10 year old company dogma

Nokia has great energy to contribute to Microsoft.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExperienced team members are collaborative and high energy. New ideas from anyone in the team are considered. You can easily join a project that holds your interest.

ConsConcerns that the positive attributes of the Nokia culture will be lost in such a large corporation as Microsoft. Nokia teams are used to working remotely and globally.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend extra time rebuilding the new blended teams. Consider that a team is now a combination of two diverse companies and many contractors.

Worked for Nokia? Contribute to the Community!