Nokia

3.6 1,244 reviews

Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri

Rajeev Suri

1,244 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Excellent values within the company and good work /life balance can be achieved"
    in 203 reviews
  • "The people are very intelligent and friendly (for the most part); casual work environment"
    in 109 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sometimes it's hard to drive results because to much politics is involved in decision-making"
    in 45 reviews
  • "There are so many re-orgs, basically one every 3 or 4 months"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a learning experience

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

ProsMulticultural environment, seemingly unlimited opportunities. I worked with some great people and have life-long friends. You could determine your own job up to an extent, which gave you pretty much free hands to do a lot of fun things.

ConsCompany values prefer people who walk all over each other and there was no work-life balance. There were constant layoffs that affect your motivation, nobody wanted to take responsibility. There was always a guilt-trip feeling when going to work: you could be blamed for anything and people were really stressed out because of that.

Old habits die hard

Senior Specialist (Former Employee)
    Tampere (Finland)

ProsFun to play with new toys before they get to market. Sodexho restaurants have more than one lunch food to choose. Garage has a roof.

ConsNobody wants to buy the toys that are put to the market. Sodexo food tastes not so good. The garage floors with a roof are always booked when I go to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMo' money...

Interesting technology and domain ruined by poor culture, weak compensation, mediocre employees

Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsWorking at HERE as a software engineer allows you to work with cutting edge technology such as big data, cloud computing, etc. Chicago office is just a block away from the Metra station. The albatross of the handset division is finally gone.

Cons* The company is moving more toward the "open office" plan which is noisy, distracting, etc. If you are an engineer who needs to be able to concentrate, good luck if you are seated next to somebody yelling into his phone during a conference call.
    * Benefits and compensation have been deteriorating the last few years. Health insurance cost and deductables have gotten worse. Raises barely outpace inflation. 4 year vest for matching 401(k) is ridiculous.
    * Employees are very "clique"-y. Russians hire Russians, Germans hire Germans, Finns hire Finns, former game industry people hire game industry people, etc. and then they only socialize in those groups.
    * The former game industry people are turning the culture into more of a "bro-grammer" culture. The level of unprofessionalism has been steadily rising over the past couple of years.
    * Everything is way too political. Too many managers make their teams look good by bad mouthing other teams.
    * Unfortunately, information important to do your job isn't communicated but rather socialized. If you don't socialize with the right people, you miss out on important information.
    * All of the various support departments (IT, etc.) are terrible. Corporate headquarters decided to centralize everything in Finland and then outsource it which means there is zero accountability on these departments when things go wrong.
    * The company doesn't seem to know how to recruit quality engineers. Candidates that come in for interviews are mediocre at best and at worst only got in the door because the headhunter shopping the candidate around fabricated a buzzword laden resume. As a result, hiring managers give up and tend to just hire the first unobjectionable candidate they can find resulting more mediocre employees.
    * The company doesn't seem interested in retaining quality employees. If benefits are going to get worse and you don't have the budget for competitive raises, at least you could throw some options around to senior or high performing employees. I've never worked at a company that didn't give stock options until now. The attitude seems to be that the work should be its own reward. If I have no investment in the future of the company, why should I stay if a better offer comes along.
    * The company prides itself on its "Finnish management style". I still have no idea what that means. The management style in Chicago seems like every other politics driven place I've worked at.

Advice to Senior Management* Strive to be an employer of choice. This doesn't mean have the best foosball table or having a happy hour once a week or having a cushy lounge area to hang out in.
    * Be candid in your communications with employees. Every quarter and every year always is portrayed as the best ever... until you look at the details (sales down YoY, etc.).
    * Boost benefits, compensation, etc. and you will be able to better recruit and retain employees.
    * Promote a culture of inclusion and excellence.
    * Reward those who do good work rather than those who can sell themselves the best. There are a lot of consistently good performers who seem to get ignored because either they or their managers don't promote them enough.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Network Engineer

Network Engineer (Current Employee)
    Alpharetta, GA

ProsThe company is good, however, that does not help if you are reporting to inexperienced and abuser manager. I think Nokia Atlanta location does not reflect the Nokia vlaues. Here is a Director replace an experienced manager with his friend to manage an entire operation, and that manger also bring his bodys... and abuses continue....

ConsSome people are nice, but management is very poor, abuses, discrimination and all the above

Advice to Senior ManagementGet an other job that mach your skills

A big disappointment

Senior Visual Designer (Current Employee)
    Berlin (Germany)

ProsNokia in Berlin has a very international culture although. It also has some interesting projects to offer.

ConsThere are so many re-orgs, basically one every 3 or 4 months. No clear direction on anything, neither from top management, nor from managers or within the teams.
    No clear responsibilities. No clear career paths. Often there's simply no way to grow.
    Stepping up and trying to change things for the better is usually punished, so that people simply give up after some time. Lots of lazy people, who already gave up trying to change things. Only the people remain, who enjoy a good 'work life balance' environment - everybody else is leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a clear idea of what you actually want.

Don't waste your time by working here

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

ProsFree mobile phone, flexible working hours

ConsDemotivating atmosphere due to layoffs and absence of strategic plan

Treated as a number

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThey started giving away free phones, but they aren't very good

ConsDestroyed the life and soul of Navteq. Nobody knew or cared what we did, they just got rid of us. Gave all the power to R&D and sacked everyone else not deemed to be "important" to the senior managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your workers with respect. Get an understanding of what they do. They are HUMANS not ROBOTS.

Dissatified

Technician (Current Employee)
    Chennai (India)

Prosnothing to be determied,failed to engage with peoples.

ConsThey always care for higher level management staffs (ex : 920 lumia), & the same time they manage the operators by increasing salary. but they totally forget the mid level peoples.

Provides less growth and learrning oppurtunities, poor leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to treat the employees without portiallity,

A one time market leader that didn't see it's industry change direction

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat location, in downtown Sunnyvale. Company is trying really hard to retain talent, but not doing it right, i.e., food trucks and beer-bashes, rather than bonuses and RSUs.

ConsDon't have control over their own destiny, their dependance on Microsoft is a conflict of interest. Salary wasn't market leader salary. Bonuses were poor. Lack of a stock plan (no RSUs). Poor ESPP. No free lunches.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the phone business, focus on consumer services, like "Here" and the S40 browser

Debacle

Drone (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsTrain close by, workout facility in building, good benefits, great work-life balance

ConsDownsizing was deep and took a long time to communicate to employees. Months went by without knowing if you had a future with the company. That caused an exodus along with the layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no management. Only drones. No advice.

Worked for Nokia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nokia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri. All 1,244 reviews posted anonymously by Nokia employees.