Nokia Reviews in San Diego, CA

3.8
1,384 Reviews

Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri
Rajeev Suri

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, results matter most - no any control freaks in management (in 253 reviews)

• Great work environment with very bright and talented colleagues (in 118 reviews)

Cons
  • Earlier the organization was too deep and there were too unclear decision making process (in 50 reviews)

• Senior management is out of touch unless you have a supervisor or line manager title (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

81 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Experience at Nokia

Former Employee - Senior Engineer I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer I in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked more than two years for Nokia and I can tell it was the best years of my careers. The environment, people and job itself was fantastic. Great people, great projects

Cons

I think the company was suffering of the poor management at the higher level who were planning about future products for the company.

Excellent place to work but poor strategic decision making by senior management

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment with very bright and talented colleagues. Exciting industry making tangible products that you can later see advertised on TV and in the hands of consumers.

Cons

Senior management made a series of poor strategic decisions like adopting touch screen Smartphones too late, launching a true Smartphone OS years after competitors, and then betting exclusively on Windows Phone instead of implementing a more risk diverse approach like Samsung and others by supporting Android and WP concurrently. The result is known and after Microsoft bought what remained of the device units of Nokia, they decided to lay off 18k employees and dismantle what once was a thriving Finish cell phone maker.

Try to avoid strategic myopia, i.e. get blinded by past success. Be more sensitive to weak signals in the market that represent opportunities and threats to the company. Find ways to make Windows Phone more sexy and create greater consumer appeal. Everyone wants the iPhone 6. It's sold out everywhere, even though the technology they bring is nothing new compared to recent Samsung products for example. How can Windows Phone become more desirable, like Nokia once was? How can you win back the coolness factor?

Great experience

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment, great people, teams working together during crunch time, awesome facility, felt like a family

Cons

Strategy from the top is suspect, leadership stays in Finland so it's hard to get high ranking positions, seems the top management never gets removed when results aren't there

Low pressure work environment.

Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

nice for work - life balance

Cons

work - life balance has its downsides...too expensive to keep people.

Hold both your managees and managers accountable.

Awesome place to work

Former Employee - Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very casual atmosphere, no sense of hierarchy. Very easy to work with everyone. Working within own team was rewarding. Good benefits, especially 401(k) match.

Cons

Pay was not the greatest, upper management at time totally clueless and made some very bad decisions that ultimately drove the devices business to Microsoft and massive lay-offs.

Listen to your employees!

A lesson on how not to compete in the tech world

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. There are so few tech companies (particularly global corporations) that care enough about their employees home life as to encourage weekends off. 401K matching was terrific as well and the medical/dental benefits were top rate until the last year. Working with the latest in wireless technologies, software and test equipment. Great co-workers whom not only know and ply their trade effectively but couldn't care less about office politics..

Cons

Decisions by upper management and executives... yes, this is gripe often heard in the corporate world. However, when you go from one "burning platform" and jump head long into another "burning platform" (ie Windows Phone) it became a more steady decline. The Metro UI of Windows 7 and 8 is unique, but hardly a favorite among mobile phone users. The early death of the Microsoft Kin mobile phone should have rang alarm bells.... not to mention the fact that Windows 7 devices couldn't be upgraded to 8, and the lack of apps (which should have been tackled early on)..

I'm going to miss working for Nokia and I hate having to part with a company I cared about. I know Satya is very competent in software and the cloud computing environment. However Microsoft now holds the keys to Nokia's mobile department and it doesn't look good. People do not buy smart phones due to productivity, but for all the capabilities the handset have to offer - like apps, videos, media (camera/video), music, messaging, social networking, etc.... if these features are lacking, or are subpar experiences, the devices will not sell. Windows became successful first through productivity, but then grew to be a dominate player by appealing to the masses with a user friendly UI in Windows 95 and bundling web browsers, media players, access to the largest software libraries available to any computer. Now those experiences can be found on Mobile devices with the Google Android and Apple iOS software.

Great company, leadership just didn't have the right vision

Former Employee - Test Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nokia seemed to have the best intentions for their employees. Good work/life balance, great benefits, and a positive work environment.

Cons

Not really any cons other than when they were not keeping up in the smartphone era, continual cost cutting and squeezing of budgets really hurt the moral at times. Now, with the phone division sold to Microsoft, the rest of Nokia seems to be doing well.

Good company, Good people. A great place to work.

Current Employee - RF Test Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - RF Test Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Nokia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working at Nokia I've seen a lot of innovation introduced to the Mobile phone industry. It made me proud to work there. The people are great and you can do practically anything you set your mind to. The tricky part is getting people/teams to cooperate. Nokia had a very relaxed personal time policy. Very few "hard butts" or "j-erks" in management overall in the San Diego site. A very good experience for 11 years.

Cons

RE-org's happened at least once a year. Mandatory work tools changed about the same frequency. Few projects came completely out of San Diego, most were collaborations with Finland teams. Bonuses were like an oasis in the desert. They were also based on un-achievable goals.
    Being absorbed by Microsoft is/was a nightmare.

No advice to Management right now. I'm way to mad at Senior Management. They killed Nokia.

They were great company, but after Microsoft purchased Nokia. I don't see any vision.

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair salary, so many talented people, great team work

Cons

Poor/slow decision making by management, that is why Nokia lost so much market share. Now they were bought by MSFT. Hope they are doing well, but MSFT had a big lay off. I don't know what they are going to do, similar to Google/Motorola???

Great Culture, but leadership lacks

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture and benefits are great.

Cons

Upper management has history of poor business decisions, thus the decline of the company over the years. No longer opportunity for individuals to develop career path.