Nolo Reviews

Chris Braun

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Nolo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Place to work, benefits are good, Management is great and does everything possible to help you succeed. If you put in the work you will be very successful and will be given the tools to do so. Personal and Professional has happened for me while working at Nolo.

Cons

The only con would be if you do not put in the time and effort you will not do as well as you could. But if you do you can succeed greatly here.

Lucrative compensation for those willing to put in the time and effort.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Nolo full-time for less than a year

Pros

When I was looking for my next career, I had a few options and asked friends and family if they had any experience with the companies I had interviewed with. NOLO really surprised me with how exposed and recognizable they are especially here in the Bay Area. My mother started her company with a NOLO book. My roommate owns a NOLO book. I believe it's more fun to work for a company that has an awesome product, and that is definitely true with NOLO. Lucrative commission structure on the sales side with an emphasis on bringing in new business with a potential for excellent residual pay. Management is also obviously willing to spend the money and time to bring on advantageous licensing and products... Quicken Willmaker, and the partnership between Martindale and NOLO are powerful tools for brand recognition.

Cons

It seems that the culture of the sales process is rather subdued. There are no standing position desks and at times the sales floor can be disturbingly quiet... Which brings me to my next point, one of the main roles of the sales team is to source leads on your own. A lot of time off the phone sourcing means to be successful one must be driven, motivated and a self-starter. If that's not the case this position may be difficult. Training and support is good... However don't expect a script and list of rebuttals. It's assumed that you'll be able to develop this process on your own.

We've hit critical mass in our office space. If there are any more hires they'll have to start stacking people on top of each other. In all seriousness, it's probably time for a bigger space.

This is a great company with a long history in the legal community, and with great consumer credibility.

Current Employee - Regional Manager  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Nolo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's an adult environment; if you do what you were hired to do, you can do very well financially. Management is programmed to help each sales person succeed, and they give you tools to do just that. There is a lot of sales experience within management, and they know their stuff.

Cons

It can take a while to ramp up. It's a building process, and it isn't going to happen in a month or two.

Top management (not immediate ones we report to) seem a little out of step with employees.....it would be nice if they let employees our early on holidays like Christmas Eve, it would be warm and fuzzy and acknowledge family lives......a little more celebration of employees would go a long way. After all, we do make the company money and successful.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad place to work

I worked at Nolo

Pros

vending machine, coffee, small office, nice people

Cons

no growth, bad management, used to be good until sold.

Was once a fun and creative place to work.

I worked at Nolo part-time

Pros

Nolo's books and content are still the best in its genre.
    The publisher still has a great reputation with consumers.
    Berkeley location is really cool.

Cons

I understand that after the acquisition by Internet Brands, things have changed.
    Perpetual conflict between serving the public and making a buck.

Without its mission, Nolo is just like any other publisher. My advice to management would be to respect the mission, Law for All, and to embrace the quirky culture that was once Nolo Press. Value the creativity of its employees and you will go much further than if you just chase rankings.

Horrible Company!

I worked at Nolo part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, good location, and freedom.

Cons

EVERYTHING, bad managers, cubicles, odd place to work.

Focus more on money and less on ethics and service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Nolo full-time

Pros

Parent company Internet Brands runs the show. $$$ ROI is the whole focus, almost to the exclusion of anything else. If you want to learn this kind of thinking, this is the place.

Cons

LOTS. Low payrate vs. industry for the knowledge set. Lack of communication about corporate direction...except make $$$. Medical coverage not horrible, but on the low side of ok. Overly rushed and frugal choices result in poor product quality and poor employee and customer support. Overall employee engagement is low.

Listen and engage especially frontline employees for active feedback on the products and services. Mgmt has frequently made poorly informed decisions when asking ONLY those around them all the time.

Nolo was once a great employer....not since they were sold, though.

I worked at Nolo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nolo once had amazing levels of integrity as a company. They used to let you bring your pets to the office with you (within reason). It was a really fun place to spend your work day.

Cons

The new ownership has discontinued offering lifetime returns on their products and treats their employees like they are lucky to have their jobs. It is a very sad change.

It would behoove the new ownership to act with increased integrity towards their employees and clientele.

Great people, but company had an identity crisis.

I worked at Nolo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked at Nolo before and just after it was acquired by Internet Brands. Very funky building, but great space, really great caring people, strong brand, free massage on a Thursday afternoon!

Cons

Some people still thought the main business was book publishing, when the market for physical books has been going down for years. A lot of instability with the takeover by Internet Brands. Large number of people were let go after the take over.

Terrible experience as Nolo fails to come clean with employees regarding cuts

I worked at Nolo

Pros

The regular employees are friendly but, in my opinion, are generally dissatisfied. Reasonably good benefits.

Cons

This as of 2010/2011: Lack of adequate communication made worse by only a partial implementation of 'agile' software development methodology: for example, no code reviews or shared responsibility for estimates and work, with consequent undue pressure on developers. Each developer works in his or her own 'silo' and creativity is effectively stifled. No motivation to start to use better technologies for managing and organizing the code base, for example.
    Don't expect to be treated fairly when it comes to performance reviews - as the company is cutting its workforce there is a somewhat Machiavellian management style and a general lack of openness. The premises are also very old and quirky and not generally conducive to good communication.

You must be open an honest with your employees regarding the situation and lay people off with adequate severance and with appreciation for their hard work and effort, no matter how junior they may be. Don't resort to tactics for getting rid of people that, while no doubt are lawful, are essentially disrespectful, show a lack of sensitivity, and can be damaging to people's careers.

Worked for Nolo? Contribute to the Community!