Nolo

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
3.2

Chris Braun

I work on the sales floor. We get paid based upon our performance. I love it! I set my own paycheck.

Current Employee - Sales in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Nolo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I get paid more the more I close. I like that because it keeps me incentived to keep pushing.

Cons

Any sales job can be high-pressure if you allow it to be. However, if you work the Law of Averages, it's a breeze.

$1 million dollar bonuses. :)

Lack of company culture and appreciation for hardwork

Former Employee - Anonymous in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Nolo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very lean organization, you get to work on interesting projects and learn a lot.

Cons

There is no recognition for hardwork be it in mere words or monetary incentives or promotion. The management expects you to work and there is no return

Treat employees as people and pay according to the location. It is way below the market standard for bay area

Used to be a great place to work

I worked at Nolo (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had high hopes that the former owners sold to a good company, but Internet Brands slashed the staff without consulting existing management. The benefits and time off policy were great under previous ownership, and the colleagues were fantastic.

Cons

Staffing was very tight, and long hours were expected. If a coworker left, you were expected to take up the slack, without the benefit of a raise or promotion.

Lucrative compensation for those willing to put in the time and effort.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Nolo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When I was looking for my next career, I had a few options and asked friends and family if they had any experience with the companies I had interviewed with. NOLO really surprised me with how exposed and recognizable they are especially here in the Bay Area. My mother started her company with a NOLO book. My roommate owns a NOLO book. I believe it's more fun to work for a company that has an awesome product, and that is definitely true with NOLO. Lucrative commission structure on the sales side with an emphasis on bringing in new business with a potential for excellent residual pay. Management is also obviously willing to spend the money and time to bring on advantageous licensing and products... Quicken Willmaker, and the partnership between Martindale and NOLO are powerful tools for brand recognition.

Cons

It seems that the culture of the sales process is rather subdued. There are no standing position desks and at times the sales floor can be disturbingly quiet... Which brings me to my next point, one of the main roles of the sales team is to source leads on your own. A lot of time off the phone sourcing means to be successful one must be driven, motivated and a self-starter. If that's not the case this position may be difficult. Training and support is good... However don't expect a script and list of rebuttals. It's assumed that you'll be able to develop this process on your own.

We've hit critical mass in our office space. If there are any more hires they'll have to start stacking people on top of each other. In all seriousness, it's probably time for a bigger space.

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Nolo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Place to work, benefits are good, Management is great and does everything possible to help you succeed. If you put in the work you will be very successful and will be given the tools to do so. Personal and Professional has happened for me while working at Nolo.

Cons

The only con would be if you do not put in the time and effort you will not do as well as you could. But if you do you can succeed greatly here.

This is a great company with a long history in the legal community, and with great consumer credibility.

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Nolo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's an adult environment; if you do what you were hired to do, you can do very well financially. Management is programmed to help each sales person succeed, and they give you tools to do just that. There is a lot of sales experience within management, and they know their stuff.

Cons

It can take a while to ramp up. It's a building process, and it isn't going to happen in a month or two.

Top management (not immediate ones we report to) seem a little out of step with employees.....it would be nice if they let employees our early on holidays like Christmas Eve, it would be warm and fuzzy and acknowledge family lives......a little more celebration of employees would go a long way. After all, we do make the company money and successful.

Bad place to work

I worked at Nolo

Pros

vending machine, coffee, small office, nice people

Cons

no growth, bad management, used to be good until sold.

Was once a fun and creative place to work.

I worked at Nolo part-time

Pros

Nolo's books and content are still the best in its genre.
    The publisher still has a great reputation with consumers.
    Berkeley location is really cool.

Cons

I understand that after the acquisition by Internet Brands, things have changed.
    Perpetual conflict between serving the public and making a buck.

Without its mission, Nolo is just like any other publisher. My advice to management would be to respect the mission, Law for All, and to embrace the quirky culture that was once Nolo Press. Value the creativity of its employees and you will go much further than if you just chase rankings.

Horrible Company!

I worked at Nolo part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, good location, and freedom.

Cons

EVERYTHING, bad managers, cubicles, odd place to work.

Focus more on money and less on ethics and service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Nolo full-time

Pros

Parent company Internet Brands runs the show. $$$ ROI is the whole focus, almost to the exclusion of anything else. If you want to learn this kind of thinking, this is the place.

Cons

LOTS. Low payrate vs. industry for the knowledge set. Lack of communication about corporate direction...except make $$$. Medical coverage not horrible, but on the low side of ok. Overly rushed and frugal choices result in poor product quality and poor employee and customer support. Overall employee engagement is low.

Listen and engage especially frontline employees for active feedback on the products and services. Mgmt has frequently made poorly informed decisions when asking ONLY those around them all the time.