Nomura Holdings

Nomura Holdings Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Koji Nagai

Good internship in general - Much room for improvement

Summer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Nomura Holdings

ProsOn the job training was terrific. Everyone was very friendly and willing to answer your questions. I could just walk into the Director's office and ask a question at any time. Very good interaction with people from other departments as well.

ConsThe summer internship program was not very structured. We had a few events (networking, visit to Fed, exchanges, etc) but that was it, nothing really exciting. The firm could improve on formal training, and networking events for interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter review and discussion of full time job at the at of the internship. Right now, it's not part of the procedure.

Good industry benchmark

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Nomura Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsValuable experiences and variety of personalities

ConsToo much red tape, and lack of direction

OK place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nomura Holdings

ProsCash compensation is a plus. No weekend work - not looked down upon, just indifference. Willingness to take risk until things go wrong.

ConsLow ego requirements to function well. A little bit of a culture shock for non-Japanese. Different style than US firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to consider the problems of business vs. risk well enough from a distribution and principaling of risk perspective. Need to expand development resources in the area of securitization.

Very Japanese

Director (Former Employee)

ProsGood Pay, opportunity for advancement

ConsCultural barriers, politics, inertia, lack of articulated strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that you are a global, not just Japanese, firm and act like it

9 years - It could have been worse

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Nomura Holdings

ProsA lot of my colleagues are great people and they made the place tolerable. Compensation is good.

ConsNo advancement for gaijin. Very lacking in communication. There are 2 cultures at the company, one Japanese and everyone else. The Japanese are at work very long hours but little work comes from them. It is almost impossible to get anything done on Global scale because Tokyo blocks or is exempted from almost everything. Some smart people who usually leave very frustrated.

Advice to Senior ManagementTokyo is not always right. Good Ideas come from everywhere and it would be wise to heed all ideas. Being at work and working are 2 different things. More communication to all employees is a good idea. Direction is key to good work.

Very good employer

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nomura Holdings

ProsGreat benefits, challenging and interesting work

ConsNot always enough training provided

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training for new employees.

Greatplace to work with, high pay, good transportation service, low price and good quality food at the cafeteria :)

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Nomura Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood bonus if you perform well

ConsJob security in case of firing is a huge risk
Long working hours

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job in monthly status meetings but would be great if you could directly share the information with subordinates about company's short term and long term goals

Satisfactory, Good learning and oppotunities

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Nomura Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsGood working hours, Commutation facilities, steep learning curve, good opportunities, high importance to culture and ethics, Higher management is good, not to be complaint about.

ConsMid level management is not effective, open minded and needs more experience or training in handling the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be unbiased while recruiting your own management people in terms of religion and value your employees and their views more.

Sharing Experience

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Nomura Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent facilities such as Pickup and Drop, Food, Insurance, Protection, Infrastructure, health Checkup. No doubt, unmatchable in the country.

ConsThey'll try to hire a Lion and then they will make sure that he will eat fodder. Once you are allocated to any project you'll then under full mercy of your manager. Salary increment, Promotion all are based on discuss not on performance. Salary is not par with other IBs. If you want then resign and bargain, which most of the people do, rather, management offer them. No leadership in management in India. Everything is setting.

I'll recommend this if you want to enjoy life and hardly think about work. Leave to the hardworking people in the firm and enjoy. Party with management and they'll take care of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease value handwork of true people, not only the one you know but also the one who does good work.They'll remember you.

Great learning experience and well structured program to help new college grads for the IT division in Mumbai.

IT Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Nomura Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsHelpful environment for learning. Depends on manager and business division though to some extent

ConsNothing I can think of

Worked for Nomura Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nomura Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nomura Holdings CEO Koji Nagai. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by Nomura Holdings employees.