Nook Media

Updated Feb 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael P. Huseby

Middle management OK, upper management clueless

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Nook Media full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is dumping tons of money on this division so pay can be decent. They have a lot of free food, sometimes free lunches, but they stop short of guaranteeing it.

They work on interesting worthwhile problems. They care about innovation (whether they are good at it is another matter) and they sometimes innovate.

They aspire to practice agile methodologies.

ConsStaff has tons of process-happy former Motorola people who love to add layers of management to any problem. They would lay off a good software engineer before laying off an incompetent program manager.

They don't really get agile. For example, they estimate tasks in hours, which is one of the most basic rookie mistakes of agile.

Although they make great products that frankly kick the a** of competing ebook readers technically, marketing can't figure out how to get their products mentioned in news stories. The news media repeatedly ignores NOOK devices while going on and on comparing technically inferior products from competitors with better marketing teams. And now, due to this bad marketing, the competitors have better sales, too... which can be demoralizing to watch as an employee.

Their policies on technical training are very chintzy.

Their medical/dental/other benefits suck. My impression is that their benefits package was directly lifted from their benefits packages for low-paid bookseller positions from their retail stores of the parent company Barnes & Noble.

The workplace is very perfume-happy. If you don't like tons of perfume, stay away.

Advice to Senior Management* Fire your marketing team and and the person who selected them, and replace them with someone competent.

Not a bad place

I have been working at Nook Media full-time for less than a year

ProsSalary, free food, everyone loves books

ConsSomewhat disorganized and in need of restructuring

A slacker's heaven

Programmer (Current Employee)

ProsLight work.
Good location and equipments
Good pay

ConsNothing to do
They change direction of entire projects every other week
Company in general is going down. Losing money on sales
A lot of people have no passion for what they do. A lot of projects have been delayed because of that.
It's easy to do nothing and get away with it

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is done. Maximum 2 more years to bankruptcy.

Meeting people with completely different competency and broken higher management.

I have been working at Nook Media full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to work with some bright, talented people here, if you are lucky. Specialized user base and fairly large amount of data to be mined.

ConsManagement has no idea about company's future. Company has deep technology debt to be fixed and still creating more as it goes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on building best reading app instead of wasting time and money on devices.

The best of both worlds: reach and resources of a Fortune 500 Co. with the flexibility and environment of a start-up

Interaction Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nook Media full-time for more than a year

ProsCreative freedom and almost no corporate politics as well as a non-competitive friendly environment with a positive and proactive approach make it a really nice place to work at

ConsManagement manages a tad too much up, and tends to forget to manage down. Communication could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more with your teams, and put them above all else. Spending most of your time making decisions with higher-ups in a vacuum does not help anyone succeed in the long-run

very dynamic environment, with extremely talented and passionate people

Director/Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nook Media full-time for more than 3 years

Prosexciting and dynamic environment.
Excellent travel policies
salary ?

Consbad work life balance
no so much benefit

Interesting, high-velocity place, but struggles with balancing tasks to resources and compensation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nook Media full-time for more than a year

ProsGood mix of embedded and web/cloud technology (talking about the west coast technology site)
Generally get a free lunch
Good location (although that may change)
The engineering staff is generally fun, (when they are not beaten down)

ConsPoor management and hiring practices; continuous crisis mode
East/West split can be a challenge
Trying to be a tech company, but not up to speed with, for example, equity compensation

Advice to Senior Managementlearn strategic planning and use it to balance objectives to resources (you really cannot get blood out of a turnip, pushing harder just makes turnip soup)

Fun place to work at in an exciting industry

User Experience Designer (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Nook Media full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people at Nook are smart and hard-working, and a lot of fun to work with.

ConsThere seems to be no clear business strategy or vision from the management, or at least it is not clearly communicated to the teams, and many employees end up working very hard but not very smart which can lead to frustration. Lots of politics, design by committee, and not enough decision-making.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare your vision, strategy and product roadmap with your employees to get them committed and excited about delivering great products.

Great Place and Still Growing

Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat People
Great Product
Great Environment
Solid Work/Life Balance

ConsIT systems in further need of development

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place to work

International QA Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nook Media full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat group of people, very competent management

ConsMainly nitpicky things, limited parking in downtown Palo Alto until the new campus opens in Jan 2013.

Worked for Nook Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nook Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nook Media CEO Michael P. Huseby. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Nook Media employees.