Nor1

Nor1 Reviews

Updated Jan 28, 2014

Art Norins

company with great folks

Account Revenue Manager (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsLots of benefits, great people.

ConsWay too many structural changes.

One great step for the Hospitality Industry...and you.

Account Revenue Manager (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsLike all open-to-public review websites, you should probably process and ponder these pearls with extreme objectivity seeing the review from a neutralizing lens.

Nor1 has been a fantastic and crucial step in my professional career development. As a young company they are so dynamic and "building bridges as they cross them". One of Nor1’s greatest assets is their team. The leadership (Art and Jason) has fantastic drive and ambition and are always so honest with their employees. Even the human resource manager’s style is very inviting and creates an amazing culture not concerned with mitigating offense, but promoting unity and open communication. If only this management style was at every work place, I think the world would be a better place.

My direct manager is one of the smartest and analytically gifted minds I've ever met. He is fair, encouraging and can make sense of almost anything both work and non-work related. He is truly a great asset to the company and has helped mentor me so much to develop as an employee and individual.

Change is just on the horizon for this company.

ConsThat being said, as a young guy looking for growth as account revenue manager I can tell you that you might begin to stagnate with a long tenure of 3+ years. But if you're comfortable with that, it's perfect.

Among the organizational changes that are happening, their requirements for my position on the business side are growing faster than their ability to provide opportunities. Essentially they should have less people doing more, instead of more people doing less. In their earlier days, I feel like the informality of their structure really helped these guys divvy up the workload and all head to the goal together.

From a technology perspective, the product team does the best it can with limited resources, but sometimes it doesn't feel like it's enough, the software side is playing a drawn out game of catch up as they ramp-up their ability to churn out good user-facing programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs far as the role of account management is concerned, it would be very helpful to your team to spend less time on fire drills and spend more time focusing on things that really matter.

Great company to work for, with a lot of promise

Business Development Intern (Former Employee)

ProsFun, Smart People, Good Culture, Free Lunches, Leadership

ConsGrowing pains, Inconsistent Work Flow

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Clouded innovation but a great family setting

Revenue Manager (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsStatistical analysis = very impressive but value proposition = cloudy. No one in the hotel industry does what they do. Analytics could be useful but very hard to grasp amongst hoteliers but that's what you usually face when dealing with hotels as customers. Location is very easy to get to and convenient with amenities. It's not Google perks but it's good enough for what they offer.

ConsIt's literally a family setting. I did not know I will be working for someone's mom, husband, daughter, wife, or however else these people are related. I guess nepotism is tolerated and encouraged. You know what they say about six degrees of separation, this company is more like six cubicles of separation. Is this possible? Is it even legal? It unethical but I don't think senior management really cares. There are a lot of favoritisms here especially with senior management. Everyone is either a Director or a VP. Bizarre. I think the only person without this kind of title is the person who refills the coffee every morning. Maybe I'll stick around and become VP in a few months.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone? Management is in too deep with giving away so many titles. It makes you think you work for a bank where they give VP titles to everyone above a supervisor level.

Not a good place to work; management team is inept and inexperience

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat location in Plug N Play area where you can meet other companies; better than working at hotels

ConsEveryone walks around looking busy and doing busy work but there's no progress. Product management team is led by a so-called veteran at Micros but hasn't offered any good ideas. My boss who leads the Account Management team has a heavy Asian accent and does not listen to recommendations and suggestions. He does not manage people very well and I think he's never done this before. I don't know why he is in the website as a VP. This company is all about appearance and how you look like coming in to work. If you are noticed to be not in your cube may times, you are regarded as a non-productive worker even though you just received accolades from others about your hard work. Weird mentality but that's how it is over here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your management staff and cut them loose. They have no experience and were only promoted because you felt compelled to give them titles for being there so long. This company will go down in flames and management will be the ones leading you down.

The most important company you haven't heard of.

ProsSmart people. Great business. Giving leadership.

ConsSo much to do, so little time.

Worked for Nor1? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nor1 reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nor1 CEO Art Norins. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Nor1 employees.