Noranda Aluminum Holding

Kip Smith

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Gramercy, LA
    Current Employee - Intern in Gramercy, LA

I have been working at Noranda Aluminum Holding as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay. Very friendly people. An all around great working environment with a lot of freedom to succeed.

Cons

Not really much to complain about.

Low pay headquarters

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Maintenance Engineer in Gramercy, LA
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Maintenance Engineer in Gramercy, LA

I worked at Noranda Aluminum Holding full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training for young engineers, they fail more equipment in 6 months than most companies fail in 5 years

Cons

Really low pay, low respect of employees. I was offered a match to keep me from leaving and they never made good on it. Greater than 90% of the sites engineers left in 2 year time span. Current managers were promoted because no one else qualified was left.

Stop lying to employees, cull managment at gramercy facility... especialy HR

Exciting long term employment.

Former Employee - Customer Service Inside Sales in Gramercy, LA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Inside Sales in Gramercy, LA

I worked at Noranda Aluminum Holding full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Relationship with chemical customer base

Cons

Extemely poor selections with some Local Management

Lean to give back what you expect from employees

Used to be a great place to work...

Former Employee - Various Director/Management Titles Within 20+ Year Period in New Madrid, MO

I worked at Noranda Aluminum Holding

Pros

Actually, they held enough confidence in me to allow me to hold different titles within management, gain much experience for the 20+ years there. They trained me and let me learn for myself how to manage people, be productive, finish projects underbudget and on time, am overqualified for most jobs I had applied for in most areas of the US...this was a good thing, although it took longer for someone with my experiences and knowledge to gain comperable employment. Almost 2 years...

Cons

Apollo investment firm owns it and it is now a management mess, with inexperienced youth trying to keep their heads above water, unknowing how to do the jobs they stepped into after a huge layoff without using the WARN ACT> of all the knowledgable employees who were older and there for decades...Noranda... It lost all the family feeling, and people are very insecure about their jobs at this date and time.

Right now, the there is only one,, the new President that is greatly qualified for his job. He is a fine and fair man, and will go to bat for Noranda , he will also do anything he can to save the company from Apollo who have no idea about the aluminum business, you cant just cut the workforce in half....The new President will more than likely voice his opinions, even though unpopular to Apollo, he will make sure he is heard

,Tthey are now bringing salaried and experienced employees that were bridged over to retirement back as temps, for 75,000 a person. A great incentive for a former employee who was blindsided with a layoff /termination an no WARN NOTICE...it would be the only way most who left would go back. I would have to say good call....This was just about the only option they had.....
    I would say to the young managers , its alot to learn out there, Good Luck, you are all going to have to be quick study's...

Used to be a great place, team moral is hitting bottom due to upper managment raises

Current Employee - I Cannot Say in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - I Cannot Say in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Noranda Aluminum Holding

Pros

The People and the flexibility afforded for family, while this does depend on direct manager, most departments seem to be flexible

Cons

No promotion from within, no matter how hard you have worked. No career path guidance or leadership for best interest of employee and company

No bonuses or raises for Upper management when there are none for the rank and file.
    Small spending adds up and can total millions.

Good place for personal development

Former Employee - Production Manager
    Former Employee - Production Manager

I worked at Noranda Aluminum Holding

Pros

Flexibility in work schedules is a plus. Managers are given alot of control over failures and success of production areas.

Cons

Lack of support personnel. Managers need to be experts in a wide range of fields to be successful.

Recognize effort as much as accomplishment. Focus on the path to results and good things will come from employees efforts.

So far so good, only time will tell

I have been working at Noranda Aluminum Holding

Pros

Just started, don't know what to expect yet

Cons

I have none so far

Not what I expected....

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Noranda Aluminum Holding full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is well above average
    Flexible work schedule
    The people are very helpful and eager to assist you

Cons

Job security is a concern
    Health benefits are sub par
    management is resistant to change.
    The organization is pretty flat so there is little if any room for advancement
    The company is very reactive!!! There is no clear direction at the plant level
    The data and other systems are lacking and sometimes non existent

Set a clear direction for the organization and follow it. Be open to change

Great place to work, until was sold to investment firm

Current Employee - Director of Engineering
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering

Pros

benefits
    pay is better than most areas in this rural area
    union really does have power and control as it should

Cons

an investment firm owns it now
    no job security for anyone, whether union, or salaried or top management and salaries
    the investment firm now tries to run the company
    all six figure incomes were terminated due to economy, no warn act or seniority or merit taken into consideration...which left the older ones who had worked up the ranks go, at least with union they had to abide by their seniority...

as a director, you all already know, nobody is safe, i would advise anybody taking on a job there, that there had been a complete overhaul of the entire plant, management too, as well as union workers, and the investment firm with no knowlege is now trying to run the plant, cutting down way too many workers, and are putting inexperienced young 30 something ,non managers in top jobs to save money...if you take a job there, always keep your eyes open for another one just in case...