Noranda Aluminum Holding

Be The First To
Add Photos

Noranda Aluminum Holding President, CEO, and Director Kip Smith

Kip Smith

Exciting long term employment.

Customer Service Inside Sales (Former Employee) Gramercy, LA

ProsRelationship with chemical customer base

ConsExtemely poor selections with some Local Management

Advice to Senior ManagementLean to give back what you expect from employees

Used to be a great place to work...

Various Director/Management Titles Within 20+ Year Period (Former Employee) New Madrid, MO

ProsActually, they held enough confidence in me to allow me to hold different titles within management, gain much experience for the 20+ years there. They trained me and let me learn for myself how to manage people, be productive, finish projects underbudget and on time, am overqualified for most jobs I had applied for in most areas of the US...this was a good thing, although it took longer for someone with my experiences and knowledge to gain comperable employment. Almost 2 years...

ConsApollo investment firm owns it and it is now a management mess, with inexperienced youth trying to keep their heads above water, unknowing how to do the jobs they stepped into after a huge layoff without using the WARN ACT> of all the knowledgable employees who were older and there for decades...Noranda... It lost all the family feeling, and people are very insecure about their jobs at this date and time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRight now, the there is only one,, the new President that is greatly qualified for his job. He is a fine and fair man, and will go to bat for Noranda , he will also do anything he can to save the company from Apollo who have no idea about the aluminum business, you cant just cut the workforce in half....The new President will more than likely voice his opinions, even though unpopular to Apollo, he will make sure he is heard

,Tthey are now bringing salaried and experienced employees that were bridged over to retirement back as temps, for 75,000 a person. A great incentive for a former employee who was blindsided with a layoff /termination an no WARN NOTICE...it would be the only way most who left would go back. I would have to say good call....This was just about the only option they had.....
    I would say to the young managers , its alot to learn out there, Good Luck, you are all going to have to be quick study's...

Used to be a great place, team moral is hitting bottom due to upper managment raises

I Cannot Say (Current Employee) Franklin, TN

ProsThe People and the flexibility afforded for family, while this does depend on direct manager, most departments seem to be flexible

ConsNo promotion from within, no matter how hard you have worked. No career path guidance or leadership for best interest of employee and company

Advice to Senior ManagementNo bonuses or raises for Upper management when there are none for the rank and file.
    Small spending adds up and can total millions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place for personal development

Production Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility in work schedules is a plus. Managers are given alot of control over failures and success of production areas.

ConsLack of support personnel. Managers need to be experts in a wide range of fields to be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize effort as much as accomplishment. Focus on the path to results and good things will come from employees efforts.

So far so good, only time will tell

ProsJust started, don't know what to expect yet

ConsI have none so far

Not what I expected....

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is well above average
    Flexible work schedule
    The people are very helpful and eager to assist you

ConsJob security is a concern
    Health benefits are sub par
    management is resistant to change.
    The organization is pretty flat so there is little if any room for advancement
    The company is very reactive!!! There is no clear direction at the plant level
    The data and other systems are lacking and sometimes non existent

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a clear direction for the organization and follow it. Be open to change

Great place to work, until was sold to investment firm

Director of Engineering (Current Employee)

Prosbenefits
    pay is better than most areas in this rural area
    union really does have power and control as it should

Consan investment firm owns it now
    no job security for anyone, whether union, or salaried or top management and salaries
    the investment firm now tries to run the company
    all six figure incomes were terminated due to economy, no warn act or seniority or merit taken into consideration...which left the older ones who had worked up the ranks go, at least with union they had to abide by their seniority...

Advice to Senior Managementas a director, you all already know, nobody is safe, i would advise anybody taking on a job there, that there had been a complete overhaul of the entire plant, management too, as well as union workers, and the investment firm with no knowlege is now trying to run the plant, cutting down way too many workers, and are putting inexperienced young 30 something ,non managers in top jobs to save money...if you take a job there, always keep your eyes open for another one just in case...

Worked for Noranda Aluminum Holding? Contribute to the Community!