Norandex Reviews

Glenn Knowlton

Incredible internship experience

Former Employee - National Accounts Intern  in  Hudson, OH
    Former Employee - National Accounts Intern in Hudson, OH

I worked at Norandex as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Throughout the company there is so much room for growth, and even within the various departments. The corporate culture is great, each employee is very welcoming and willing to help at any time. I gained invaluable knowledge through the National Accounts internship with Norandex. There are countless opportunities for personal growth and development of the company. I thoroughly enjoyed working at Norandex, and aspire to work there in the future.

Cons

It is hard to find Cons about this company, having only worked for 3 months. I believe Norandex is going through a growth period and naturally some minor mishaps may occur, ex. miscommunication or adapting to newer, modern technology.

Great company to work for. Company really tries to emphasize the importance of your personal health and safety.

I have been working at Norandex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is an abundance of training the company provides if you want to increase your job skills or look into advancing into other opportunities with the company.

Cons

In focusing on the bottom line we at times had to reduce our staff and that in turn does restrict the type of service we can give our customers.

With this being a highly competitive business and our focus being on #1 in customer service we need to make sure the branches have the right amount of employees to provide the service "Second to None".

A very good place to work!!!

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Houston, TX

I have been working at Norandex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very knowleadgeable people, who are always willing to help. Good benefits and good salaries. They are a national company so a lot of opportuinity to advance in the company and grow. There is a great work life to personal life ratio. All the individuals I have worked with are caring and warm hearted. One really feels part of a team.

Cons

There is a lot of information to be learned. The wide variety of products Norandex can distribute makes it a challenge to learn all the product lines and vendors.

Try to create a more informative hands on training course for new hires. A lot of information is based out of the market one works in; therefore, ones training should be designed with their own market in mind.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

I have been working at Norandex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are really good. Vacation accrual is good. Hours are good. Pay is decent. Not a lot of turnover @ our branch. Good job security.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement for someone unable to relocate, when the branch doesn't have a lot of turnover. Also, the corporate to branch understanding isn't great, & branch computer system very difficult.

All jobs/employers have cons, just as all employees usually do. But overall I like the company I work for & feel I have good job security. My only suggestion is for a problem I've observed over the 19yrs I've been here. I think every home office employee should spend @ least a week in a branch atmosphere (a month would be better), in order for them to see how the branch operates, from customer & vendor interaction to computer system issues, & paperwork processes.

Time to make a change

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Norandex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

401K, Healthcare, Company Car,

Cons

Its a good ole boys club. Employees are not promoted due to merits. If a few guys on the management likes you then you might get promoted. They will dangle a golden carrot out for years but will end up hiring someone from outside the industry with no experience and lack of passion for the business. If you try to get a job with a vendor or a sister company they will block you. There are only a very small hand full of employees that have every worked in the branch that are running the company. The management team has lost touch with the current sales trends and tend to think what worked in the 70's and 80's still works today. I'm sorry but calling on 35 customers a day with a semi-exclusive marketing program isn't the answer. And no matter how great the marketing programs are they are not the panacea. The sales team needs a viable way to differentiate their products and find ways to compete.

1.The new CEO needs to make upper management changes. When sales haven't improved year over year under the current leadership then it might be time to look at change in philosophy and management style. Bring in a proven VP of sales with progressive management ideas that can motivate and coach leaders.

2. Offer a succession plan to the team members that want to grow. Hiring outside employees when you have proven leaders in your company ready to step up only demotivates and will cause great employees to start looking elsewhere. (Look at your current turnover rate).

3. Create an atmosphere in the company where employees can be successful with new and competitive products that will help them win in the marketplace.

Norandex Response

Sep 23, 2014HR Generalist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your candor and are always looking for ways to improve as a company. Ironically, the Director of Human Resources (who was promoted May 1 from a sister ... More

Average place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Norandex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1) Freedom to manage my territory as I see fit
    2) Use of company car for a reasonable amount of personal use is a nice benefit
    3) Good health/dental insurance (has been getting expensive year after year though)
    4) Financially stable backing of Saint-Gobain
    5) Great people to work with at local level

Cons

1) Upper management like to drop vendors on a pretty regular basis. I don't think they realize that we have regular customers that expect a honest answer why they can no longer buy a product from us
    2) Lack of sharing best practices between branches
    3) Turnover for sales reps and managers feels a lot higher than industry/local average
    4) Managers who have no selling experience are expected to manage and coach a sales force
    5) Little training for new sales reps which ultimately leads to them failing
    6) Sales paperwork was eliminated by introduction of Plan Plus which had rave review out of the gate. It is great for putting data in but unless on getting data out. No customer contact reports, customer trending sales reports, or updated sales numbers

1) Stop dropping long term vendors. Maybe an outside mediation company could help with future vendor issues before the customer suffers and we give our competition an opportunity
    2) Hire and promote sales focused managers who have more than an educational understanding of the sales process

Administration

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Hudson, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Hudson, OH

I have been working at Norandex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good fellow employees, good work life balance.

Cons

Upper Management doesn't fully recognize the talent pool currently available.

Listen to your employees feedback, more internal surveys.

Lots of Changes over the last few years but the anchor holds...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hudson, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hudson, OH

I have been working at Norandex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some long-time leaders (Garber) that help keep the Norandex flavor and spirit and newer leaders that bring a good new perspective to the business.

Cons

I believe that the Sales culture in our company is very old school. We are a sales company and we do sales in a very old school way. Our sales training is non existent and the turnover is dramatic. Our Sales organization needs some new life breathed into it and soon or we will not grow.

The ability to improve as a company is held back dramatically by our archaic ERP. Until we can measure ourselves accurately with reliable information we can't improve much. CODIS is a huge disadvantage.

Moving in the right direction with strong focus on improving branding, market penetration, and top line sales,

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Generalist  in  Hudson, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Generalist in Hudson, OH

I have been working at Norandex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to be heard, variety, interaction with internal and external customers, mobility/advancement, training, and teamwork.

Cons

Not enough hours in the day at times, but work is meaningful and rewarding.

Continue engagement of Team members at all levels.

I have a much stronger skill set because of the encouragement and opportunities given to me by upper management.

I have been working at Norandex full-time

Pros

I have been given many opportunities to be challenged and grow. I have learned many new skills within my position. I feel I am a much stronger employee and have a much stronger resume to my name because of the opportunities and executive mentoring I have received within Norandex. Management wants to see everyone grow to their full potential and it shows in the way they make time for their employees and help them.

Cons

There are many limitations on external opportunities for professional development due to bugetary restrictions. Some departments are given these opportunities while others are not.

Norandex Response

Apr 17, 2014HR Generalist

We are glad to hear that you not only enjoy working at Norandex but feel that you have been given many opportunities to grow. We value our employees and the commitment they make to be a part of our ... More

Norandex Photos

Our Akron, OH branch showroom which displays some of our various product lines
Two of our Sales Representative Development Candidates participating at a customer event at one of our branches
Because safety is a core philosophy, all employees receive safety training. This picture shows one of our employees participating in fire extinguisher training during our annual EHS day.
A Norandex Sales Representative poses with one of our vendors by our Norandex Maxima door during a trade show

+ Add Photo

Worked for Norandex? Contribute to the Community!