Nordstrom

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

130 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Customer Service is #1

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThis company has a proactive approach to business. Always implementing the latest technologies and procedures with the goal of providing the best customer service. If you like a fast paced, goal driven, ever changing environment, you'll like working for this company.

ConsSeveral numeric goals to be met consistently. If you don't like to work hard, you won't want to seek out a job with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on making sure the job is fun, supportive and encouraging for your employees.
    Happy employees tend to be more enthusiastic about making customers happy.

Nordstrom Life

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI've met some of the best people at Nordstrom, and most are very intelligent. I've been a manager and a sales person. Generally all employees are treated fairly and the company has very high expectations of their employees.

ConsAs a manager, the salary is never enough because they say you will sell and get commission and bonuses. However, you work so many hours and events, that there isn't much time for selling. As an employee, the commission and discount isn't very high either. Recently I think the company is putting more energy into the online business and forgetting that their employees get payed solely on commission.

Great Company

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Oak Brook, IL

ProsLove the attitude and the outlook. Loved being able to provide the best possible service to customers.

ConsLower level managers were not great. Not innovative, just followed the path and the guidebook. Would have loved to have gotten better sales training.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training and more offerings for ongoing sales training.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun Place, Horrible Hours

Sale Associate (Former Employee)
    Oak Brook, IL

ProsI worked with a great group in my department. Seeing/learning about all the new products/designers we would get in was amazing. Able to use discount on top of already discounted items

ConsHard to grow within company. Old manager was a bit over bearing. Was hired for full-time, only to learn I was actually "full-time flex" which means you are cut down to part time during non busy season. Hard to pay the bills this way. Returns get deducted from your paycheck, customers take advantage of return policy and like to "borrow" item, which ends up hurting your pay check

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hover over sales employees. Re-evalute your return policy or come up with a system where it doesn't effect employees so much.

Great

Cosmetics Counter Manager (Former Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsAmazing training and core values

ConsNo Cons. Great business and amazing opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Best opportunity in retail

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsIncome potential, build your own business, great management and hr

Conscommute was a bit long for me. Co-workers very competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more closely with employees

I worked as commisioned sales associate.

Commission Sales (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsBeautiful store to work in.
    Fabulous clothing.

ConsToo many divas work there. Cut-throat atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone hates the juvenile employee pep rallies. Find other ways to try and keep associates motivated. Open, no-questions-asked return policy encourages fraud. People known to purchase Nordstrom gift cards with stolen ID are able to purchase expensive pieces and return for cash, over and over again. Policy hurts people whose ID has been stolen, and Nordstrom turns blind eye to problem.

SHARKS

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGood Discount
    Product Knowledge
    Great People
    Family-Like environment

ConsUPPER MANAGEMENT IS FULL OF SNAKES
    you will work with sharks
    extremely competitive
    a lot of lying occurs

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP LYING TO YOUR ASSOCIATES

Working for Nordstrom has been a wonderful experience for me and I hope to move forward in the company.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThough commission sales can be tough during parts of the year, if you truly commit to following up with customers and maximizing every customer experience you will do just fine.

ConsGetting hit with returns is something that is inevitable, but if you follow up with customers its easier to catch the return and hopefully turn it back around into a new sale.

good company, lots of room for growth

Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prossales and commission- potential to earn a LOT of money. opportunities for growth. customer service is #1. sense of family within the company. open door policy. learned a lot!

Consit is hard as a manager to see your employees making more than you. most of the time you have too much on your plate to be able to sell like you used to. this is why many people are "career/professional salespeople". NO work life balance.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All 130 reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.