Nordstrom

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

120 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

good company, lots of room for growth

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Prossales and commission- potential to earn a LOT of money. opportunities for growth. customer service is #1. sense of family within the company. open door policy. learned a lot!

Consit is hard as a manager to see your employees making more than you. most of the time you have too much on your plate to be able to sell like you used to. this is why many people are "career/professional salespeople". NO work life balance.

can be stressful...paycheck is 100% commission!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for more than a year

ProsPotential to move up is easy...My dept was very flexible with hours, I had the luxury of picking my own hours.

Conscommission! If you were not penalized for someone returning an item (or an associate stealing a size change sale), then I would be all for nordstrom. Your motive to work can enormously decline if you walk into work, and realize you have 1000+ in returns...so if its a slow day you're pretty much working for free.

Advice to Senior Managementpromoting from within is great, but it would irritate me when a very immature and young sales person would be promoted to management after a few months. Can you say INCOMPETENT!

Nordstrom can be a great company to work for, with exception of a few things.

Cosmetic Sales (Current Employee)
Oak Brook, IL

ProsBenefits 401 K
Somewhat decent salary and commission
Free stuff
Being around fashion and trends

ConsNo work life balance
Retail hours
Unrealistic expectations
Management is unprofessional
You can move up in the company if you want to hand over your life and your soul!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some real experience and get educated. Management is very hard to connect with unless you like brown nosing.

Good money, questionable management

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Prosyou have the potential to have a great paycheck, great people work there, good benefits if you choose to take part in them.

Consover-scheduling in some departments leads to low numbers and lower potential to do well when the amount of customers coming through are low, inexperienced, young managers in certain departments make scheduling frustrating and hinders the potential for their associates to do well

good to bad

Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee)
Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros100% commission. You can really do well for yourself if you're highly motivated and keep in touch with your clients.

ConsNordstrom is downsizing everything. Trying to go "mobile" and paperless which ends up making sales and managers have to do the work of the support staff they got rid of and continue to downsize even condensing corporate jobs. If you want to move up in Nordstrom, good luck. To make decent money here on the support side will take you MANY years. Was very excited to graduate college and move "down" to the corporate side of Nordstrom but every day is more discouraging with the amount of duties not related directly to the customer. It truly takes away from your customers experience and leaving many employees unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your customer service back, get cashiers, get stock room people. If you want the sales people to do what you expect them to do (maintain great customer relationships and sell, sell, sell) then you have to support them.

Was great till management went sour

Mens Shoes (Former Employee)
Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay and benefits package were good

ConsDepartment Managers lacks experience and a brain.

I loved working at Nordstrom. I was highly trained in sales skills and customer service skills.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI really learned the value of customer service.

ConsCompetitive work environment could become hostile at times.

Memorable

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people, health benefits, 401k

ConsHours, must be mobile, commission sales not steady

Horrible, not worthy of the positive reviews, and selfish managers with lack of morale.

Sales Person (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people to work with. I met some really nice people.

ConsNot a team environment and the managers will sell constantly. Some managers will cherry pick and take all the good customers and pass the other customers to the staff on the floor. Also, they will make you do task work while they are making a sell and normally its a really good one. Lack of moral especially in the number one store in the company. Veterans have merit and if your new then you can look forward to working more closing shifts and the flexibility isn't that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that it should be fair and the management staff should be there to support and not to be their employees equal. The rules about management being able to sell should be exempt from the benefits, because of the simple fact that some managers abuse this privilege. As an upper manager, it is imperative that you'll come and visit the stores and talk to the staff and not always to the upper managers, because the majority of the time they will tell you misleading information. In order for a business to grow and to develop, the people at the bottom have to be motivated and inspired to achieve one common goal and that's to make more money. If the people at the bottom isn't happy then the numbers will drastically show that in the business results.

Great way to gain interpersonal skills and build confidence.

Skokie, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsPositive working environment, lots of support, great people. Working at Nordstrom has helped me to become a more confident person. I am so glad I decided to give selling a try.

ConsCan be boring when there is less customer traffic and sometimes it feels like I'm begging for money. Computer systems are ridiculously outdated and slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All 120 reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.