Nordstrom

3,214 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
2,066 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 129 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 238 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 120 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

164 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The most disgusting company ever

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

There are no pros besides the discount and working in a mall you can go to other stores on lunch

Cons

I've heard good things about Nordstrom so when I was hired I was very thrilled. However, That changed quickly..I worked in the Point Of View department.(womens)....The entire staff were the most miserable employees I have ever met. Everyones fighting for sales...managers yell at you..threaten to fire you..hostile work environment..workplace bullying. The wonderful training people are talking about..well, I never got it. Maybe it was just the skokie old orchard location..but Nordstrom is an awful company.

Get rid of commission sales...you have older employees who love it because they have customers who shop there from 30yrs ago..but the new generation comes and goes because of these people who have "grandfathered in". The world is about social media today not harrassing customers in their 20's and 30's who are just browsin. Get with the new age! and the system!

Stopped caring about their employees

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Could be fun occasionally depending on your co-workers

Cons

Solely commission-based.
    If you didn't keep up the number of hours worked they would cancel it month by month.

Recognize which employees are maintaining the department and that some employees don't help with anything and only sell.

No money although you work like a farm animal

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have met some AMAZING people there that I will be staying in touch with

Cons

Many departments are commission only, so if nobody is buying or if everyone returns what they bought, you are working for minimum wage

Managers tend to be extremely young, and in many cases it is obvious that they were hired and promoted for their overall appearance rather than their abilities.

Horrible, not worthy of the positive reviews, and selfish managers with lack of morale.

Current Employee - Sales Person in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with. I met some really nice people.

Cons

Not a team environment and the managers will sell constantly. Some managers will cherry pick and take all the good customers and pass the other customers to the staff on the floor. Also, they will make you do task work while they are making a sell and normally its a really good one. Lack of moral especially in the number one store in the company. Veterans have merit and if your new then you can look forward to working more closing shifts and the flexibility isn't that great.

I believe that it should be fair and the management staff should be there to support and not to be their employees equal. The rules about management being able to sell should be exempt from the benefits, because of the simple fact that some managers abuse this privilege. As an upper manager, it is imperative that you'll come and visit the stores and talk to the staff and not always to the upper managers, because the majority of the time they will tell you misleading information. In order for a business to grow and to develop, the people at the bottom have to be motivated and inspired to achieve one common goal and that's to make more money. If the people at the bottom isn't happy then the numbers will drastically show that in the business results.

It was a great learning experience despite the horrible leadership

Current Employee - Department Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great reolaction packages, opprotunity to grow, commision sales

Cons

Managment does not listen to the people they directly manage all levels, people are often promoted based off who they know not off merit, company has an overall "mean girls" vibe with eveyone looking to get ahead by making others look bad. Pay is not comperable to others for the work load.

Listen, Listen, Listen... I would also reinterview eveyperson who has ever worked with Pari Sanayei who is still supported as a leader, despite her poor leadership.

I was totally mislead

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really liked my coworkers, 20% discount, helping a great customer was super fun - like shopping with a friend, great Assistant manager

Cons

What they don't tell you is if you are not a great salesperson you will make about $9 an hour. They tell you $18-20 - not even remotely true. Some departments were very well run, mine was overstaffed and a revolving door. They also do not explain the return policy will greatly effect your day. When $500 is returned under your number, you are negative that amount and must make it up before you begin making commission. The boss was very disingenuous and offered only the corporate stock answers on how to improve your sales, not actual tangible advice. She was also 21 or so and had no real life experience other than retail so her ability to make thoughtful strong decisions was reflective of her age and level of professionalism - high school level - at best. Don't ever tell someone a decade older than you that you hope they learn a lesson from your management skills - you have a lot to learn outside of the retail bubble.

Be real and tell us what the good and poor salespeople make- wouldn't have taken the job had I known. Your lack of honesty caused me great financial and emotional stress over 4 months. Be thankful, appreciate that good salesmanship doesn't happen over night - pay your staff a living wage while newbies to retail learn the ropes. Be directive and follow up on scores of complaints about poor management, when the whole team is complaining and quitting (15 quit in 4 months) that is a red flag about management. When promoting someone so young, ensure that their maturity level is up to the task, many of their staff might be a great deal older and more experienced than they are and having a strong, fair, reasonable person on the team is better than some fake cheerleader who can turn on the syrupy voice for customers and then turn around and discuss her love life with the intern like a teenager. I felt mislead and neither HR nor management cared the least bit that I had been told erroneous information on how much I would actually make. I got the impression from dozens of sales people that they had been told essentially lies about their paychecks. I thought I would try something new, and while I may not have been a great salesman, I was a great employee, fantastic with customers, helped out when no one would and am an extremely intelligent college graduate with real career experience .None of this makes any difference in your company, it's all about turn and burn to make money at other peoples expense. I will never ever work retail again. Never.

Pay

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Oakbrook Ter, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Oakbrook Ter, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The more you sell the more you can make

Cons

Their liberal return policy is great for customers but bad for employees. You pretty much loose the commission you made on the sale the customer is returning up to one year.
    Nordstrom doesn't loose anything but the employees do!

If you're going to have extremely high expectations you need to compensate your employees accordingly

The worst job I ever had

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

The discount at the cafe.

Cons

Their leadership, has a gestapo attitude. What the Nordstorm brothers share in their book, "The Nordstorm Way" is completely false. The leadership in the stores are volatile, while at best have a leadership skill that belong with the dogs at the humane society.

Get control over you renegade managers. They are renegade leaders, they lack leadership skills and haven't any ideas how to lead in a positive atmosphere. Your long term sales associates are prema-dona's, who don't work. They will steal your hold items and try and take your clients, without blinking an eye. They haven't a clue how to get out and go to work.

Really let down by my managers.

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Managers are understanding of personal issues, willing to work around them. Usually.
    -Some good training, but only from one of the three managers.
    -Hourly pay + commission (commission % varies upon dept.)
    -I got to work for a variety of companies outside of those I had previously managed before joining the Nordstrom team, and therefore learned a lot more about the different styles and methods used by other companies (i.e. studio cosmetics vs. natural... Smashbox vs. Laura Mercier)
    -Nordstrom Cafe & many wonderful restaurants within 5 min. walking distance (PF Changs, some sushi places, italian, steakhouses, etc) for lunch or after work.

Cons

-Nobody in the department is on the same page, because none of the managers are on the same page. Because of this, It very much so creates an atmosphere of "Fend for yourself!" and "Every man for himself!".
    -One manager tells you one thing, then another manager tells you something that contradicts the initial manager. Bring in the third manager and it gets even messier.
    -Extreme formation of cliques
    -Nobody is really your friend
    -Managers always seem too busy to help you when you're on the floor. You have to chase them down---literally, because they frequently don't pick up their phones or respond to the loudspeaker call throughout the store.

I was told during my 1st interview that I was being hired on as a counter manager (CM) in the cosmetics dept., but during my 2nd interview I was told I would be a beauty advisor, (BA). I was confused with this, but the hiring manager was willing to match my previous pay if I was willing to wait 1 month before being promoted to a CM. I was satisfied, until several months went by and they hadn't even allowed me to stay at any one counter for more than 1 week, let alone given me the CM position I was promised. I was even offered positions from other vendors in the dept. and my managers refused to let me transfer. I ended up leaving.

Be more upfront with your employees about what you're honestly willing to give them; do not lie to prospective employees during interviews simply because you want to have them on your team.

The most unfulfilling, unrewarding job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A handful of my coworkers. That's about it. Even the discount sucks.

Cons

- Commission (in your interview, they're going to make it sound super great but trust me, making $2000 one week and $500 the next is not a way to live)
    - Management (I'll get to that below)
    - Retail hours/holiday hours/special sale hours. You basically have no life.

This was my biggest problem. Management is brainwashed - they don't believe that employees should have a life outside of Nordstrom. I once requested off for family vacation and they asked me why I had to go. No, I'm not kidding. This happens with multiple employees and multiple different managers. They are the most un-encouraging managers I have ever known. If you don't sell what you're supposed to on a certain day, your job is threatened. For example, I'm from the Midwest. The Midwest has terrible winter weather. There was one day when it was -40 outside and I work in an outdoor mall. Not only did they keep the store open, but I got in trouble for not selling enough when there were about 10 customers in the entire store all day. They never cut you any slack for anything. You will feel so horrible about yourself and it will make your job harder and more miserable.

My advice to management: chill out. A lot of employees that work at Nordstrom don't want to be there long, regardless of what they tell you. Don't treat them like this is their career - it's not. Encourage them to do well, and maybe they'll care about doing well.