Nordstrom

Nordstrom Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 110 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children (in 97 reviews)

• You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time (in 161 reviews)

More Highlights
131 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

life at nordies

Resident Artist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood work environment all ways rewarded for your good sales good for team building

Consnot compensated fairly compared to bloomingdales saks, or neimans

Awesome Customer Service and Culture

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Prosgreat culture, really care about the employee, great benefits

Consenforces certain selling techniques that don't always work

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the great culture and benefits going!

I am a sales professional at Nordstrom and absolutely love the management and team-working ethic within my department

Sales Person (Current Employee) Oakbrook Ter, IL

ProsI really liked how organized the training went. Along with that, I really enjoyed working in a team oriented environment while setting personal and team net profit goals

ConsThere aren't many cons, however, the only thing that would frustrate me would be customers that took advantage of Nordstrom's customer services. Another con would be the long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No money although you work like a farm animal

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsI have met some AMAZING people there that I will be staying in touch with

ConsMany departments are commission only, so if nobody is buying or if everyone returns what they bought, you are working for minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers tend to be extremely young, and in many cases it is obvious that they were hired and promoted for their overall appearance rather than their abilities.

Intense environment, people take themselves way to serious for it being a retail position.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat compensation.
    Peers were fun to work with, a lot of young people.

ConsManagement is "sharky," they want to sell more than they want to teach and lead.
    Sales floor environment is unorganized and overly competitive.
    Schedule expectations are high and time off is practically unmentionable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more of a leader on the floor.
    Facilitate team selling with yourself and a younger sales associate rather than swiping them and then saying " I told you so."

Decent Pay but was overall dissatisfied with my department management tactics.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Skokie, IL

ProsIf you like to sit & sit 40 hours a week & be tied to your seat with 2 or 3 others in one small booth then you would enjoy this position.

ConsMy experience was strange as I applied for a completely different position (active & busy) than I actually interviewed for. I was told when I arrived "oh we hired someone this morning for that position & we would like you to interview for the Communications position". Well as I decided on the spot what couldn't it hurt to interview. Well I interviewed ...was hired...but my stipulation to the HR admin & the dept manager was I would TRY the position & would like to be placed elsewhere if I did not fit the position.

The position was operating 100 line switchboard, paging sales associates & announcing store emergency procedures if needed. The position itself was not so bad...what made this position bad was all the sitting & boredom (I did try to find much more things to do while I was sitting there but of course others don't care to do more sometimes.) of those who have been there FOREVER & needed things to talk about . I personally have always made it my own preference never to speak ill of others, mainly just because that makes one or myself look really bad but that is not the case in this instance. This environment was extremely stressful in which some little mistake possibly made in training...was just something to talk about ...I guess you have that everywhere...but after so long these types of behaviors can add the stress up especially when an enclosed 10x10 room.

Ok so that is just some everyday ordeal...what really got me was when a girl I barely knew & I felt pretty sorry for her because everyone knew in the department & our department was shared with customer service, that this girl was going to be fired a week in advance of her termination. Um who does that!? What type of management handles a termination that way? then the fact or mere thought that " this could happen to me or anyone in this department" Even though I was fairly new to the position & still in training , I was very disappointed in how this was handled regardless of any reason. I could have done a better job as a manager with no experience if the current management during this situation could not maintain this privacy of one of its associates.

At any rate I lost a lot of respect for those working around me, I tried to apply out of that department & of course to no avail those other support positions are on lock down, no matter what they say when some encouraged me to apply (I actually think the encouragement of applying & watching me get denied was prob just fun for some). I was honest with my manager about my position & how I was not a good fit reminding her of the stipulation I had when I took the position and was agreed upon. I did find out later that no one wanted to work in communications in the entire store before I got thrown in there. That department is just one group of hens with nothing do to but sit around & talk negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your company values & respect the privacy of associates working for you ...this comment only for those I actually worked for. Other Nordstrom management seemed professional but I didn't really get a chance to know them. The communications position should be for new hires or interns and a cap out time of how long can stay in that position. I understand there needs to be experienced personnel but some of them should not be there longer than 2 yrs.

Nordstrom Management Review

Department Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWhen I started with this company, there was huge opportunities for growth

ConsFinding a work/life balance is difficult to do once you move down the pyramid to management. You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time.

Customer Service is #1

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThis company has a proactive approach to business. Always implementing the latest technologies and procedures with the goal of providing the best customer service. If you like a fast paced, goal driven, ever changing environment, you'll like working for this company.

ConsSeveral numeric goals to be met consistently. If you don't like to work hard, you won't want to seek out a job with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on making sure the job is fun, supportive and encouraging for your employees.
    Happy employees tend to be more enthusiastic about making customers happy.

Cahiser

Cahiser (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGreat pay, good coworkers, offers a lot for growth in company.

ConsBad hours, lack of communication with HR, a lot of customer complaints on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter scheduling system.

Sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPotential to make a lot of money
    Reputable company
    Fun environment

ConsNo hourly pay - only commission
    Long hours
    Harder to make goals in the winter

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!