Nordstrom Reviews in Chicago, IL

2,633 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,738 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 110 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children (in 97 reviews)

• You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time (in 161 reviews)

More Highlights

134 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

a great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is a place where you can grow because they believe in promoting from within. The harder you're willing to work the more you can earn.

Cons

It is commission based so you have to be willing to work hard to get ahead. The hours are not easy and there are sales goals to meet. Sometimes the goals are pretty steep.

Great people!

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met some of my best friends working here.

Cons

You sorta have to live and breath Nordstrom, but I lucked out and made a ton of friends and it became a family for me!

Not all divisions created equal.

Former Employee - Specialty Coffee Manager  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Specialty Coffee Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company benefits excellent discount. Good consistent training for managers. Customer service is first priority and all employees are empowered to do what is necessary to take care of the customer.

Cons

Very different treatment of restaurant employees than retail side. Sr management of restaurants pay lip service to quality of product, values don't align with that of the retail operation.

Treat all employees with the grace you expect them to provide your customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

life at nordies

Current Employee - Resident Artist  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Resident Artist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment all ways rewarded for your good sales good for team building

Cons

not compensated fairly compared to bloomingdales saks, or neimans

Awesome Customer Service and Culture

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time

Pros

great culture, really care about the employee, great benefits

Cons

enforces certain selling techniques that don't always work

keep the great culture and benefits going!

I am a sales professional at Nordstrom and absolutely love the management and team-working ethic within my department

Current Employee - Sales Person  in  Oakbrook Ter, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Oakbrook Ter, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really liked how organized the training went. Along with that, I really enjoyed working in a team oriented environment while setting personal and team net profit goals

Cons

There aren't many cons, however, the only thing that would frustrate me would be customers that took advantage of Nordstrom's customer services. Another con would be the long hours

None

No money although you work like a farm animal

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have met some AMAZING people there that I will be staying in touch with

Cons

Many departments are commission only, so if nobody is buying or if everyone returns what they bought, you are working for minimum wage

Managers tend to be extremely young, and in many cases it is obvious that they were hired and promoted for their overall appearance rather than their abilities.

Intense environment, people take themselves way to serious for it being a retail position.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great compensation.
    Peers were fun to work with, a lot of young people.

Cons

Management is "sharky," they want to sell more than they want to teach and lead.
    Sales floor environment is unorganized and overly competitive.
    Schedule expectations are high and time off is practically unmentionable.

Be more of a leader on the floor.
    Facilitate team selling with yourself and a younger sales associate rather than swiping them and then saying " I told you so."

Decent Pay but was overall dissatisfied with my department management tactics.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Nordstrom as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

If you like to sit & sit 40 hours a week & be tied to your seat with 2 or 3 others in one small booth then you would enjoy this position.

Cons

My experience was strange as I applied for a completely different position (active & busy) than I actually interviewed for. I was told when I arrived "oh we hired someone this morning for that position & we would like you to interview for the Communications position". Well as I decided on the spot what couldn't it hurt to interview. Well I interviewed ...was hired...but my stipulation to the HR admin & the dept manager was I would TRY the position & would like to be placed elsewhere if I did not fit the position.

The position was operating 100 line switchboard, paging sales associates & announcing store emergency procedures if needed. The position itself was not so bad...what made this position bad was all the sitting & boredom (I did try to find much more things to do while I was sitting there but of course others don't care to do more sometimes.) of those who have been there FOREVER & needed things to talk about . I personally have always made it my own preference never to speak ill of others, mainly just because that makes one or myself look really bad but that is not the case in this instance. This environment was extremely stressful in which some little mistake possibly made in training...was just something to talk about ...I guess you have that everywhere...but after so long these types of behaviors can add the stress up especially when an enclosed 10x10 room.

Ok so that is just some everyday ordeal...what really got me was when a girl I barely knew & I felt pretty sorry for her because everyone knew in the department & our department was shared with customer service, that this girl was going to be fired a week in advance of her termination. Um who does that!? What type of management handles a termination that way? then the fact or mere thought that " this could happen to me or anyone in this department" Even though I was fairly new to the position & still in training , I was very disappointed in how this was handled regardless of any reason. I could have done a better job as a manager with no experience if the current management during this situation could not maintain this privacy of one of its associates.

At any rate I lost a lot of respect for those working around me, I tried to apply out of that department & of course to no avail those other support positions are on lock down, no matter what they say when some encouraged me to apply (I actually think the encouragement of applying & watching me get denied was prob just fun for some). I was honest with my manager about my position & how I was not a good fit reminding her of the stipulation I had when I took the position and was agreed upon. I did find out later that no one wanted to work in communications in the entire store before I got thrown in there. That department is just one group of hens with nothing do to but sit around & talk negative.

Consider your company values & respect the privacy of associates working for you ...this comment only for those I actually worked for. Other Nordstrom management seemed professional but I didn't really get a chance to know them. The communications position should be for new hires or interns and a cap out time of how long can stay in that position. I understand there needs to be experienced personnel but some of them should not be there longer than 2 yrs.

Nordstrom Management Review

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I started with this company, there was huge opportunities for growth

Cons

Finding a work/life balance is difficult to do once you move down the pyramid to management. You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!