Nordstrom

3,071 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,983 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 129 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 238 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 120 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

157 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The most unfulfilling, unrewarding job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A handful of my coworkers. That's about it. Even the discount sucks.

Cons

- Commission (in your interview, they're going to make it sound super great but trust me, making $2000 one week and $500 the next is not a way to live)
    - Management (I'll get to that below)
    - Retail hours/holiday hours/special sale hours. You basically have no life.

This was my biggest problem. Management is brainwashed - they don't believe that employees should have a life outside of Nordstrom. I once requested off for family vacation and they asked me why I had to go. No, I'm not kidding. This happens with multiple employees and multiple different managers. They are the most un-encouraging managers I have ever known. If you don't sell what you're supposed to on a certain day, your job is threatened. For example, I'm from the Midwest. The Midwest has terrible winter weather. There was one day when it was -40 outside and I work in an outdoor mall. Not only did they keep the store open, but I got in trouble for not selling enough when there were about 10 customers in the entire store all day. They never cut you any slack for anything. You will feel so horrible about yourself and it will make your job harder and more miserable.

My advice to management: chill out. A lot of employees that work at Nordstrom don't want to be there long, regardless of what they tell you. Don't treat them like this is their career - it's not. Encourage them to do well, and maybe they'll care about doing well.

Managers that just dont care.

Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the customers are great. They love the store and really appreciate your help. You can make some real loyal customers and that is good when it comes to planning for events.

Cons

Some customers take advantage of the return policy, and those who work for commission can get it taken out of their check for up to a year if the items are returned.

Appreciate your employees more, and make them feel comfortable to talk to you.

great if youre in a good department and good location

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great training and there is opportunity to grow since they promote from within....I personally don't want to live in Seattle where corporate is.

Cons

Favoritism is huge here as one could imagine...goals were pretty ridiculous at times

Its obvious which employees are well liked and are on the fast track for management...if i get promoted to an asst manager position i shouldnt have to take a pay cut period

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good commission. Friendly work environment.

Cons

Managers get too pushy about selling. Unfair scheduling.

Worst Company to work for by far!!

Current Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Pay, discounts at Store, Rack, E-Bar and Cafe and thats it. Benefits are good also, generous healthcare. Mostly monetary benefits.

Cons

Company culture, cliquey, fake management and sales people. No sense of community or equality. Not professional at all, very social if you know the right people or right look they want. Silent politics and hidden rules.

Need to improve dynamics of company to accept all employees and promote from within.

Stopped caring about their employees

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Could be fun occasionally depending on your co-workers

Cons

Solely commission-based.
    If you didn't keep up the number of hours worked they would cancel it month by month.

Recognize which employees are maintaining the department and that some employees don't help with anything and only sell.

Decent Place Lots of Hours

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working there could be enjoyable at times. You had somewhat free reign as long as your sales numbers were good. Fun environment.

Cons

Although you had to work weekends (or else you would suffer due to sales), holidays, and long hours on days of events and at Nordstrom that is a lot. Also, you have to be constantly stressed and worried about your numbers because if a return would come in it could ruin your day. Some "goals" are extremely hard to beat.

Listen to employees rather than sit in your office staring at numbers for the day on a computer. Not everyday can be amazing!

Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay was making almost 30k just part time, great environment, loved the culture, great benefits and incentives

Cons

Department manager was power hungry

Make sure management is treating the employees with respect, especially on the sales floor.

Retail Sales & Management Intern

Former Employee - Retail Management and Sales Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Management and Sales Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Loved working with other young and fun interns. The values of the company are carried out by their workers. You can earn a lot of money depending on how well you can sell.

Cons

Long hours usually 8 hour days, and the anniversary sale is a madhouse! (however you make a lot of money)

Keep sending interns to managers who are willing to help interns. Some managers do not want the added stress of dealing with an intern that is willing to learn the ends and outs of managing.

Structure of stores makes it a very difficult work environment

Former Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Fine Jewelry Sales in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The human resources department is very good. The department cares about it's employees. The potential to work in a clean environment and make an average income is available.

Cons

I can only speak from my personal department, but the management was atrocious. The department manager and assistant manager had no business and were incredibly unqualified for the positions they held. The store manager was incredibly poor at her job as well.

Promote appropriate individuals to positions. Maturity and length of service in a particular field aids a lot when dealing with a management position.