Nordstrom

Nordstrom Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 110 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children (in 97 reviews)

• You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time (in 161 reviews)

More Highlights
131 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worked for 2 months and could not last any longer. Coworkers are competitive and money hungry for sales and customers.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsMaking relationships with customers and coworkers. Discount.

ConsHR did not effectively communicate that pay was commission-based ONLY which includes returns being taken out of your paycheck. I did not receive training from HR or my manager so I was completely lost my first few weeks on the job.

Dealing with angry customers is difficult. Our department was short staffed so many nights I would be working alone in my department and could not handle all the requirements of handling multiple customers, sale and return transactions, cleaning the fitting rooms, answering phones, and dealing with alterations.

The return policy completely ruins your paycheck, motivation, and self-esteem. After spending time with customers and producing a good sale, it is only dissatisfying to have the customer come return items and have it taken out of your paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementNEVER leave new employees to work alone in department. Hire more staff.

good company, lots of room for growth

Department Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prossales and commission- potential to earn a LOT of money. opportunities for growth. customer service is #1. sense of family within the company. open door policy. learned a lot!

Consit is hard as a manager to see your employees making more than you. most of the time you have too much on your plate to be able to sell like you used to. this is why many people are "career/professional salespeople". NO work life balance.

can be stressful...paycheck is 100% commission!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsPotential to move up is easy...My dept was very flexible with hours, I had the luxury of picking my own hours.

Conscommission! If you were not penalized for someone returning an item (or an associate stealing a size change sale), then I would be all for nordstrom. Your motive to work can enormously decline if you walk into work, and realize you have 1000+ in returns...so if its a slow day you're pretty much working for free.

Advice to Senior Managementpromoting from within is great, but it would irritate me when a very immature and young sales person would be promoted to management after a few months. Can you say INCOMPETENT!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nordstrom can be a great company to work for, with exception of a few things.

Cosmetic Sales (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsBenefits 401 K
    Somewhat decent salary and commission
    Free stuff
    Being around fashion and trends

ConsNo work life balance
    Retail hours
    Unrealistic expectations
    Management is unprofessional
    You can move up in the company if you want to hand over your life and your soul!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some real experience and get educated. Management is very hard to connect with unless you like brown nosing.

Good money, questionable management

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosyou have the potential to have a great paycheck, great people work there, good benefits if you choose to take part in them.

Consover-scheduling in some departments leads to low numbers and lower potential to do well when the amount of customers coming through are low, inexperienced, young managers in certain departments make scheduling frustrating and hinders the potential for their associates to do well

good to bad

Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

Pros100% commission. You can really do well for yourself if you're highly motivated and keep in touch with your clients.

ConsNordstrom is downsizing everything. Trying to go "mobile" and paperless which ends up making sales and managers have to do the work of the support staff they got rid of and continue to downsize even condensing corporate jobs. If you want to move up in Nordstrom, good luck. To make decent money here on the support side will take you MANY years. Was very excited to graduate college and move "down" to the corporate side of Nordstrom but every day is more discouraging with the amount of duties not related directly to the customer. It truly takes away from your customers experience and leaving many employees unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your customer service back, get cashiers, get stock room people. If you want the sales people to do what you expect them to do (maintain great customer relationships and sell, sell, sell) then you have to support them.

Was great till management went sour

Mens Shoes (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsPay and benefits package were good

ConsDepartment Managers lacks experience and a brain.

I loved working at Nordstrom. I was highly trained in sales skills and customer service skills.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsI really learned the value of customer service.

ConsCompetitive work environment could become hostile at times.

Memorable

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people, health benefits, 401k

ConsHours, must be mobile, commission sales not steady

Horrible, not worthy of the positive reviews, and selfish managers with lack of morale.

Sales Person (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people to work with. I met some really nice people.

ConsNot a team environment and the managers will sell constantly. Some managers will cherry pick and take all the good customers and pass the other customers to the staff on the floor. Also, they will make you do task work while they are making a sell and normally its a really good one. Lack of moral especially in the number one store in the company. Veterans have merit and if your new then you can look forward to working more closing shifts and the flexibility isn't that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that it should be fair and the management staff should be there to support and not to be their employees equal. The rules about management being able to sell should be exempt from the benefits, because of the simple fact that some managers abuse this privilege. As an upper manager, it is imperative that you'll come and visit the stores and talk to the staff and not always to the upper managers, because the majority of the time they will tell you misleading information. In order for a business to grow and to develop, the people at the bottom have to be motivated and inspired to achieve one common goal and that's to make more money. If the people at the bottom isn't happy then the numbers will drastically show that in the business results.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!