Nordstrom

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

(1,640 ratings)

2,474 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation"
    in 105 reviews
  • "People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture"
    in 193 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children"
    in 88 reviews
  • "You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time"
    in 151 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sales Associate

Palo Alto, CA

ProsEmployee discount
    Commission salary
    The staff and management team try their best to train new employees

ConsWork really odd hours
    Don't give you break when it's busy

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more educated management oteam

Not for the faint of heart

Cosmetics Counter Manager (Former Employee)
    Mission Viejo, CA

ProsGreat gratis, good pay and plenty of hours. As a counter manager I wrote my own schedule, the one part I loved about the job!

ConsMicro management to the extreme, my dept managers would come out and move, remerchandise and clean my counter. Insulting and confusing, couldn't find product for customers since things got moved daily. Sharky coworkers who will get away with anything if their sales per hour are high. and I mean ANYTHING. Daily threats on write ups or firing no matter how good you are doing. Work here ONLY if you don't care to work in teams, this is a haven for individualists who are out to make that sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide incentives for team work, not all of us enjoy screwing over our coworkers to make money. It's just bad energy.

Great overall company! Great treatment of employees, but tough place to work retail and make good money

Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat training. I learned a lot during my year and a half there. They are the best in the business when it comes to customer service so they really taught me a lot about client relations that I carried with me to my next job. If you work in retail and you have Nordstrom on your resume, your potential hiring employer will know that you know how to handle client relations and that you have great selling skills. Nordstrom is know for having the best customer service in the biz, which I loved. If you work retail and truly enjoying forming client connections, Nordstrom is a great place to utilize those talents and even improve upon them.

They are very good to their employees and provide them with a very positive, warm, and motivating atmosphere and environment. My store's management and HR team were very friendly and made me feel like I was truly part of a great store team.

ConsWhile they are known for their amazing customer service, Nordstrom is also infamous for their extremely lax return policy. While that is great for clients, it is rough on their sales associates. Customers REALLY abuse this policy and it can really affect your commissions.

99.9% of the time customers will be allowed to make almost any return (no matter how old the item or even if they have no proof of purchase). This can be really tough because often you will work extremely hard for sales that are often just returned a day or two later. Customers will wear/use items and then return them or find them cheaper elsewhere and return the item you sold them. Not only is it hard on your sales commission and paycheck, it can also be extremely rough on your ego and somewhat de-motivating overall! There is nothing more upsetting than assisting a client with a large purchase only to have it returned the next day worn and clearly used. So often this would happen and it would really upset me because I could do nothing about clients taking advantage of both myself and the system.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor management on the sales floor, try to keep your eye out for sales associates who will steal other employees sales. Some sharky and selfish associates will abuse the system by doing returns on other associates or blatantly ringing up sales under themselves. Unfortunately, this happens way too often and isn't monitored enough.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A lot of work, with little payback.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe ability to have health insurance...if you are given enough hours.

ConsYou are rarely ever hired FULL-TIME. You are actually hired Variable, so Nordstrom only gives you insurance if you make enough hours.
    Unrealistic goals of new employees
    Managers more concerned with store and department goals than employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementProtect your employees hours for health insurance and they will appreciate it... hence work harder for you.

A positive experience

Thousand Oaks, CA

ProsCompetitive work environment, positive learning experience with customer services that reflects how important the customer is, and enjoyable people.

ConsMaintaining sales while trying to balance honest work ethic, hourly or commision based pay, returns are taken more than often.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Management tips and advice to help sales associates earn their best pay, allow sales associates to focus on customers instead of projects and duties that take away the ability to make instant customer interactions.

Work/Life Balance is Not Always Easy

ProsIf you enjoy working with customers and earning commission, this can be an enjoyable work experience.

ConsWork/life balance can be tricky considering strict work expectations.

Fun place

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Coral Gables, FL

Prosyou Meet all kinds of people and really learn how to effectivley communicate with your customers and coworkers.

Conswork off of commission, which could be really awesome, but if a customer returns something you lose that comission. great for them to have such a lax policy but not good for us as customers take advantage of the return policy so much so that you could work really hard all day sell 3,000$ worth of clothing but at the end of the day leave with no money because your customers returned 4,000$ worth of merchandise.

Advice to Senior Managementyou should do role playing during training.

Not bad for retail

Department Manager (Current Employee)

Pros401k, Nice employees, Discount
    Promote within

ConsSupport positions not recognized for hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithout support sales won't happen.

Great company with great values

ProsGreat culture, great training and great environment

ConsWork life balance is challenging

Salon Shoes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosoffers nice discounts
    great management
    helpful coworkers
    fun place to work
    no hard labor
    easy job
    you get to shop on your break!

Conspushes you to sell more expensive items
    pays only commission
    hours are not flexible
    have to bring out certain articles to everyone
    have to work over the holidays

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All 2,474 reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.