Nordstrom Reviews

• Corte Madera, CA
4.1
Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom

Great company to work for, great culture and benefits.

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities!! Lots of opportunities to grow with the company. Great leaders that care about developing their teams and want to win.

Cons

Retail hours can be challenging. It can be hard to balance work and life. Holidays can be specially tough not to be with loved ones.

Advice to Management

Maintain culture strong, promote life work balance to all.

2. A beautiful store and a nice place to work.

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really liked working at the Corte Madera store and met some really nice people. The store is beautiful with the new makeover and has a pleasant vibe to it. Hours are long - but to be expected since it is retail.

Cons

If your looking to promote - it's very hard to do. They will use you and work you to the bone- but when it comes to moving up they will hire people that they are good friends with and overlook good workers. Also, if you need time off- it's like pulling teeth and they make you feel guilty.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who have experience in retail. Then maybe the turnover wouldn't be so high. It feels like you just hire to fill with bodies.

Student friendly job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nordstrom is a great place to work if you are a college student, they have always accommodated school as a student's first priority. It is also a great place to make many connections and network with the Nordstrom customer, because it is such a client-focused retailer. Then there is also the exceptional commission rates, and benefits that any full time employee can earn, it truly is comparable to running your own business, and writing your own paycheck!

Cons

Some cons are that returns are deducted from your overall sales for up to a year, which can really hit your pocket if it is a slower season. There is also close to no holidays off, and many blackout dates because they continue to add more and more "Sale Events" to compete with retailers such as Macys. It is currently changing the idea of what "The Nordstrom way" really is.

5. only okay

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (More than a year)

Pros

when i began at nordstrom in the fashion jewelry department in 2005, i was paid an extremely decent hourly wage with commission on top of that. it was the perfect part-time job for me while i was in school. i was able to save a decent amount of money at the time. the discount isn't great, but it becomes great when/if you buy stuff on sale!

Cons

nordstrom cares mostly about the customer, meaning the employees are usually shafted.

we had a really terrible store manager who was feared instead of embraced. everyone called her the princess of darkness because she always wore all black, paired with a sullen expression.

managers are different for every department. i had three different managers: one good, one marginal, one a disaster. one of my managers (a female) made a number of inappropriate comments to me which i never reported because i was planning on leaving anyway. she also claimed i never showed up on my last day of work, which wasn't true because i was cashed out for my last day of work as i was leaving (was protocol for exiting employees at the time).

things at my nordstrom seemed to always be a hot mess. who knows if matters have improved.

Advice to Management

treat your employees a little better! get behind your sales staff instead of automatically assuming they've done something wrong.

6. Nordstrom Sales and Support Position Review

Current Employee - Rotating Sales and Support in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Rotating Sales and Support in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount :)
    Employee thank you lunch in
    Nice work environment
    Felt respected

Cons

Pressure on sales associate to sell unreasonable amounts of merchandise during the anniversary sale at least

7. Retail, good money, okay hours.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Discount, Commission, Free Merch, and stay on top of fashion trends!

Cons

long hours on your feet, bad customers sometimes.