Nordstrom

3,227 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
2,075 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 129 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 238 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 120 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

78 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High expectations for salespeople
    Dedicated managers
    Hard-working sales teams
    Great place for learning about providing exceptional customer service
    Sell more, make more commission pay
    As a seasonal Nordstrom salesperson, I have had an incredible experience with the company. I've learned so much and am thankful for the opportunity.

Cons

I honestly can't say anything negative about my experience with Nordstrom. It was great from the beginning. I really enjoyed beating my sales goals and as someone who is motivated by money, this was the perfect pay program for me.

n/a

Good job for commission base

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

If you are great at selling you can make as much money as you want, great company to work for, friendly fun environment, easy to get promoted within company

Cons

turnover rate of sales, not very much training was provided (if your a fast learner you can figure it out)

Great atmosphere/people....but COMISSION SUCKS!

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is cool, and there are a lot of great/interesting people that work here.

Cons

COMISSSSSSSION!!!!! When the store is busy its great, because you are making sales. But the store is rarely busy, like every blue moon. The only time it was crazy busy was during the Anniversary sale, that's when my checks were like $900, but other then that $500. Even during the Christmas holidays it was bad. Also it is like a waste of time, because you're getting paid by commission, so on the days that it is dead and you make 0 sales, you basically wasted your entire day. The base pay if you don't do well during the pay period is $8... $8 for basically going above and beyond for people you don't know, $8 for 75hrs of work (2weeks). NOT WORTH IT. When people return things it counts against your sales. Takes awhile to move up, they will allows pick someone who has worked their longer, even if you have the education and background

Raise the base pay. Stop allowing managers to hire 7 people for a small department and expect everyone to do good in sales. Letting people returns count against sales associate isn't fair, after the hours and time we spend

WORST RETAIL EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD!!!!!

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

So I have been in the beauty industry for almost 6 years now. I started at the highest volume Neiman Marcus in the country then moved onto Nordstrom. So I have experienced the best of the best when it comes to luxury cosmetics. Whomever is reading this I want you to listen carefully. Nordstrom has been by far the WORST company I have ever worked for!!! I had a feeling this would be a bad idea the day I had new hire training and the HR girl had no clue what was in her training manual and had an additude the whole time reading word for word by the book. This company doesn't care about their employee. They do not invest time training employees on company policy's and how the IT systems work. So right from the start your set up to fail. They pay their employees crap. I was the highest paid in cosmetic department and lets just say that wasn't anything to brag about. I was never shown anytjing about my own business and how to properly run it. I was used to a whole different enviroment at Neiman marcus and no one ever took the time to make sure I was clear on policy's and procedures. From day one I had the impression that everyone was in it for themselves and there was no sense of team. There are so many NEGATIVE aspects to this Company that I can write a book about. I left NM for further job opportunity and I have taken 10 steps back instead of forward. Management is misleading and because Nordstrom likes to hire within so they save cost on outsourcing don't expect your manager to be around more than a year.

Cons

I can honestly and truely not think of any perks of working there. The discount is only 20% as to where Neiman Marcus is 30% and 8 times a year EVERYTHING IS 50% off! Everyone is on commission including management so don't expect support from Management.

It would be EXTREMELY beneficial if you invested time and common sense when picking managers and team. By hiring low level managers you destroy the working enviroment and cause as much turnover as there is at Nordstrom. I can honestly say Neiman Marcus had some of the best management out there! true talent! Haven't lived the High that Neiman Marcus gives you to the very LOW that Nordstrom gives you I would have never left NM if I knew what was in my future with Nordstrom. So anyone reading out there, if you wAnt to experience luxury retail at its finest definitely consider Neiman Marcus. Having had two perspectives I will never even shop at Nordstrom again!!!!!!

I'm fairly new at Nordstrom, but so far I think it's a great place. They really take good care of their employees.

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- For every customer you sign up for a Rewards account, you get a $5 cash bonus.
    - The commission rates are quite decent. Most departments are 6,75%, the high-end designer departments earn a 9% commission.
    - The workforce is quite diverse. You'll work with people from all sorts of backgrounds; different ages, ethnicities and nationalities.
    - The company recruits from within, so everyone you meet in administration, management, HR and so on, have all once been where you are and know exactly how it feels to be in your shoes. Because of this, they're very helpful when you ask for help and are always willing to mentor you or give you advice when you ask.
    - You get a 20% employee discount in all departments, including the spa, cafe and ebar!
    - If you work in certain departments like Via C or Collectors, you will also receive a 50% discount on all full price merchandise in several of the other designer departments.

Cons

- The POS systems, although fairly easy to use, have way too many options. It takes time to learn all the different options, not because they're difficult to use, but because there's a million different buttons and apps you can use.
    - Building a personal customer base takes time. You can't rely on foot traffic alone, and especially when you're new, it can be a bit frustrating when a whole day goes by and you didn't make any sales.
    - The liberal return policy is excellent for customers, not so much for commissioned sales associates. People return a lot of merchandise and if they do it within less than a year, you lose your commission for that sale.

Learn a lot but horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

You learn a lot with how to deal with various types of personalities and you learn a lot about fashion

Cons

Nordstrom doesn't hold their end of the bargain when they said their employees come first. the company really doesn't look out for their employees

Great experience, was part time but the hours were still high

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience working for Nordstrom. My manager was great, as most are. Schedule was pretty flexible but was still pretty rigorous, especially because I was only part time. Co-workers were all friendly and really helpful. You could easily get people to cover your shift if you really needed them to. The discount is a great bonus and increases for a period around the holidays.

Cons

Being a sales associate can get difficult during the holidays when the store is really busy. Its a lot more work and often you have to deal with upset customers. Just a part of the job, not a Nordstrom specific thing.

Fun job but the money is in a few departments.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plano, TX

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and some of the managers are cool if they like you.
    Potential to make a lot of money during the holiday season.
    Some departments like shoes, who get a higher percent of commission, made decent money.

Cons

Saw a lot of favoritism to people with seniority. Tough since its a commission job. (Aside from fragrance and Mac who got an hourly rate plus commission)
    RETURNS!!!

Not for everyone, but is a good place to work!

Current Employee - Department Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Department Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can get promoted quick and great benefits

Cons

too much force on getting the nordstrom cards where it's annoying even customers have complained after hearing it on the radios every 5 mins (RACK) and commission can sometimes suck at the full line stores

Just because someone is a good seller doesn't mean they are a great leader

Great company overall, mediocre management

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Hurst, TX
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Hurst, TX

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Training is very hands-on and extensive, culture is very relationship-based, great HR, customers are usually kind

Cons

Long hours, very competitive, department managers turn over very often, can be "catty" with coworkers, paycheck can weigh heavily on which department you are in

Focus on each person bettering their sales, not necessarily being "number 1". Doing so puts the focus on individual vs. competition.