Nordstrom Reviews in King of Prussia, PA

2,828 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,845 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 123 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 232 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 116 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 177 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

"Best place i ever worked"

Former Employee - Kids Wear in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Kids Wear in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers in general are amazing, loyal, and grateful for your help. I really felt like part of a team and loved my coworkers. Great if you want to get into store management. Money is amazing in the holiday season. my department was very well designed and easy to browse in. If you get the right manager and department you can easily make a career out of it. amazing break room and other employee facilities. You can get great kickbacks and freebees.

Cons

Managers and assistant managers are usually inefficient and ego driven and can get away with murder, play favorites with employees. commission pay is so inconsistent you will never be financially stable (highest check: $1500, lowest check: $300). Your customers' returns directly impact you and returns are taken anytime in any condition; dirty, torn, years old, they will take it back and loss prevention does nothing but maybe write it down. Watch out for people stealing sales, gossip, backstabbing, your traditional high school crap. job gets repetitive sometimes.

Please tighten up your return policy; customers are "renting" your products and it really hurts your employees who are not paid enough as it is. Give hourly plus commission so we can pay our rent during slow sales! Just because a manager has been there for a long time doesn't mean they are good at their jobs.

Overall it was okay. They really don't care much about the employees just the customers. End of story.

Former Employee - Nordstrom Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Nordstrom Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount, pretty store, co workers were professional,

Cons

Long work hours, no respect for employees, management are like robots, no spree de corp, dog eat dog!

Get better management that is mature!

Great pay but lots of pressure to sell.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Commission salary, opportunity to make a lot, great merchandise to sell

Cons

Pressure to sell, higher ups at like Gods

Have a more down to earth attitude and take on people to mentor. Also, there should be a greater discount for employees so they can afford to wear the merchandise the company sells.

Overall positive experience

Former Employee - Sales Person - Men's Furnishings in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Person - Men's Furnishings in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to start gain experience in the retail and sales business. Good place for seasonal employee to earn money due to the commission base, especially during the busy sales months in the summer.

Cons

Sales training and courses may seem irrelevant once on the floor. Long hours, especially during pre-sale times when you are needed to set up. Full-time employees will spend most of their life at Nordstrom. Commission structure may have you shaking your head sometimes.

Commission structure should be addressed clearer and may be re-visited for changes.

Overall positive

Former Employee - Retail Management Development in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Management Development in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Nordstrom as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The possibilities of how much you can make are endless. Very upbeat and positive place to work.

Cons

Some of the managers and employees aren't qualified to work there and can't communicate effectively. Also, left there everyday with a pounding headache.

Make sure the people you are putting as your managers can actually represent the company in a positive manner.

Great Sales Training. Long Hours

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Nordstrom as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

20% discount on all items, Great sales training.

Cons

Long hours. Standing and weekend hours.

Fun atmosphere, good customers and great products.

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers, store discount, sales experience, customer service oriented, beautiful store, great food in the cafe and feeling independent to make to decisions as an employee.

Cons

Unstable pay due to commission.

Nordstrom abuses employees

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment very friendly and welcoming. The people (both employees and customers are great) Great products. I like that Nordstrom offers full health benefits and 401k.. its just expensive.

Cons

Commission sales. Because of the open return policy employees are constantly being hit with returns which makes it nearly impossible to get commission. The hourly rate $9/hr is disappointing and cruel. The store closes at 9:30 but employees may not leave until 10:30-11pm (Nevermind the fact that the mall closes at 9pm) Scheduling is a disaster. The shifts aren't the greatest. (i.e. opening 8-5 or 9-6 midshifts 10-7 or 11-8 closing 12-Close or 1-close) I was told that I would have weekend flexibility in my schedule and I don't. I have worked every weekend since I was hired and I was fired because I needed to stay home with my young kids a few weekends out of the month. None of the managers want to offer days off when you NEED it.

Don't work the employees to death. Commission sales is challenging and everyone isn't born a sales person. Commission breeds tension and an unhealthy culture of competition between salespeople. There should be an easier way to advance in the company for those who have no interest in selling. FNL should be open to everyone. I dont agree with the open return policy because it hurts employees and after working 9-10hrs everyday it would be nice to go home in the daylight hours and spend time with family and friends or get some errands accomplished. Department managers need professional development days because they are unprofessional and only concerned about themselves. The assistant managers aren't much better either.

Neither Here Nor There

Current Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay compared to the rest of the industry.

Cons

Annoying pep ralleys early in the morning.

Be closer to the salesfloor

A good working experience. Best of the top 3 Luxury Department Stores

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Flexible hours for work
    The more you sell the more you earn.
    Promotion opportunities are abundant.
    Launchpad for a more lucrative career in fashion.

Cons

Investigate what department you want to work in before applying as a sales associate. Certain departments have a high rate of return. i.e. Mens Clothing has a low rate of return because once Men buy a suit and it is altered they hardly will return it unless for extreme circumstances. Women's shoes and Men's furnishings, you will get killed with returns(it goes against your drawer) and you will starve unless you sell loooottttttss of units! You will be competing against long term employees, so don't expect to make money in the short term. Stay there for a short while and move! Management tend to be younger and some with no sales experience, so they will approach you from a purely data point of view not emotional. Therefore, you will be hard pressed to get alternative methods of motivation, because some have never been in your shoes. They are couple of times you will get praise for your hard work, but it is not praticed more enough. The discounts are the worst out of the big 3 (Neiman's and Saks) Luxury stores. A paltry discount,but I guess that is what the rack is for. Again investigate the department you will work for before applying or you will not make any money especially during the slow months.

Please have a bit more feeling and be sympathetic to the average sales associate. It doesn't hurt for the store manager to eat with us sometimes during lunch. It makes it seem like you are unapproachable and de-humanize us, because you don't really know us. There is a wall of separation and it doesn't promote cohesiveness. Managers need to be more servant leaders instead of pushing extra stock and inventory work on us. We have to make money to survive and taking us away from the floor during crucial times hurts our bottom line. Being on commission is rough, especially for new people. Be more selfless and understanding. Making numbers are important, but working as 1 unit for a common goal is paramount.