Nordstrom

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall positive

Retail Management Development (Former Employee)
    King of Prussia, PA

ProsThe possibilities of how much you can make are endless. Very upbeat and positive place to work.

ConsSome of the managers and employees aren't qualified to work there and can't communicate effectively. Also, left there everyday with a pounding headache.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the people you are putting as your managers can actually represent the company in a positive manner.

The management changes constantly. Very young and inexperienced Management at the department level.

Business Manager (Former Employee)
    King of Prussia, PA

ProsDiscount, Pretty store after remodel, fashion sense is good

ConsNeed better mgmt. at department level. Do no value employees just the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people like valued employees and not sheep.

Great Sales Training. Long Hours

King of Prussia, PA

Pros20% discount on all items, Great sales training.

ConsLong hours. Standing and weekend hours.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun atmosphere, good customers and great products.

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    King of Prussia, PA

ProsCo-workers, store discount, sales experience, customer service oriented, beautiful store, great food in the cafe and feeling independent to make to decisions as an employee.

ConsUnstable pay due to commission.

Nordstrom abuses employees

Commissioned Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    King of Prussia, PA

ProsGreat environment very friendly and welcoming. The people (both employees and customers are great) Great products. I like that Nordstrom offers full health benefits and 401k.. its just expensive.

ConsCommission sales. Because of the open return policy employees are constantly being hit with returns which makes it nearly impossible to get commission. The hourly rate $9/hr is disappointing and cruel. The store closes at 9:30 but employees may not leave until 10:30-11pm (Nevermind the fact that the mall closes at 9pm) Scheduling is a disaster. The shifts aren't the greatest. (i.e. opening 8-5 or 9-6 midshifts 10-7 or 11-8 closing 12-Close or 1-close) I was told that I would have weekend flexibility in my schedule and I don't. I have worked every weekend since I was hired and I was fired because I needed to stay home with my young kids a few weekends out of the month. None of the managers want to offer days off when you NEED it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't work the employees to death. Commission sales is challenging and everyone isn't born a sales person. Commission breeds tension and an unhealthy culture of competition between salespeople. There should be an easier way to advance in the company for those who have no interest in selling. FNL should be open to everyone. I dont agree with the open return policy because it hurts employees and after working 9-10hrs everyday it would be nice to go home in the daylight hours and spend time with family and friends or get some errands accomplished. Department managers need professional development days because they are unprofessional and only concerned about themselves. The assistant managers aren't much better either.

Neither Here Nor There

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    King of Prussia, PA

ProsGood pay compared to the rest of the industry.

ConsAnnoying pep ralleys early in the morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe closer to the salesfloor

A good working experience. Best of the top 3 Luxury Department Stores

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours for work
    The more you sell the more you earn.
    Promotion opportunities are abundant.
    Launchpad for a more lucrative career in fashion.

ConsInvestigate what department you want to work in before applying as a sales associate. Certain departments have a high rate of return. i.e. Mens Clothing has a low rate of return because once Men buy a suit and it is altered they hardly will return it unless for extreme circumstances. Women's shoes and Men's furnishings, you will get killed with returns(it goes against your drawer) and you will starve unless you sell loooottttttss of units! You will be competing against long term employees, so don't expect to make money in the short term. Stay there for a short while and move! Management tend to be younger and some with no sales experience, so they will approach you from a purely data point of view not emotional. Therefore, you will be hard pressed to get alternative methods of motivation, because some have never been in your shoes. They are couple of times you will get praise for your hard work, but it is not praticed more enough. The discounts are the worst out of the big 3 (Neiman's and Saks) Luxury stores. A paltry discount,but I guess that is what the rack is for. Again investigate the department you will work for before applying or you will not make any money especially during the slow months.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have a bit more feeling and be sympathetic to the average sales associate. It doesn't hurt for the store manager to eat with us sometimes during lunch. It makes it seem like you are unapproachable and de-humanize us, because you don't really know us. There is a wall of separation and it doesn't promote cohesiveness. Managers need to be more servant leaders instead of pushing extra stock and inventory work on us. We have to make money to survive and taking us away from the floor during crucial times hurts our bottom line. Being on commission is rough, especially for new people. Be more selfless and understanding. Making numbers are important, but working as 1 unit for a common goal is paramount.

Promised opportunities but delivered little

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    King of Prussia, PA

ProsDiscounts, other employees, considered a higher end retail company, health benefits

ConsTo many managers overestimated their importance. Many would not be able to succeed in corporate America.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not stifle your employees. In today's tight job market - more qualified and talented people who would normally not apply or work for Nordstrom due to the horrific hours and the fact that it is retail - are working for the company. Take advantage of that. Make sure you move these people quickly "down the pyramid". Do not just talk the talk, but put actions to the words. Middle management is stifling growth. To move in middle management you have to be friends with someone. One person can stop the growth of a qualified individual. Allow people to move throughout the company with ease or your great people will leave.

Great Place to Work but Has Downfalls

King of Prussia, PA

ProsCommission pay is great and if you work hard you can make more many that you would in any other retail job, People are impressed when you say you work there.

ConsYou have to be competitive and out for yourself in order to make money. It isn't a team vibe because everyone is against one another. They can be very focused on looks to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should try to build team unity, be fair and equal to all employees and show recognition of good work.

Treatment to Non-Management Employees

King of Prussia, PA

ProsCompensation higher than most retailers; PTO & Paid Holidays to Part-Time personnel given (very rare); opportunity to transfer to other stores/departments

Cons- tells employee's that they can't leave after scheduled shift until they open credit card accounts
    - tells employee's they can't take lunch until they acquire XX amount of mailing list sign ups
    - tells employee's they can't schedule a PTO day unless they agree to work another day in the week (essentially trade a day; rather than actually having time off
    - tells employee's they can't have more than 1 day off in a week if requesting PTO
    - fails to schedule hours for an employee that needs hours and gives to others that don't want the added hours
    - requires participation for store/department meetings on scheduled days off
    - requires discussion of company business while "off the clock"
    - lack of safety with respect to employees (shredded & exposure wires, lack of documentation of injuries and failure to correct potential hazards when brought to attention of mgmt & bldg facilities)

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more HR representation (there is none) and Sr. Management Guidance is crucial; lack of interpersonal skills and maturity among department managers & assistants; lack of leadership and development of labor law requirements...what they can/can't do...what they can/can't say....a class action lawsuit is imminent if this continues.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings in King of Prussia, PA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.