Nordstrom

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

141 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing Company, Amazing People, Great Environment

Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTraining
Commission Based (merit based) Environment
Positive Employees
Great Management

ConsReturns (everything else is great)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Best job I've ever had.

Nordstrom Retail Sales (Former Employee)
Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for less than a year

ProsPlenty of hours. You determine your pay checks. Commission based. Diversity of interactions. Hour lunch. Employee discount. Your rate of selling determines your discount. Morning 20 minute "Pump up sessions."
Appreciation for your selling statistics.

ConsLong hours, Flexibility, Determine paycheck

Great place to work

Brea, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDuring the sales you can make lots of money

ConsCustomer returns, only top sellers are moved in to a management role, long hours during the sales

Advice to Senior ManagementNot always should the top sellers be moved in to management.

I loved working for a department store that cared about their employees and are so encouraging.

Beauty Advisor (Former Employee)
Canoga Park, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for more than 3 years

ProsRewarding, fun environment, great benefits, challenging events and usually everyone is very nice!
Cosmetics department continuously has great sample to try and helps with product knowledge to increase sales. Holiday hours are tough, but not nearly as bad as other stores.

ConsClosing shifts can be frustrating, because they stay open until the last customer is done shopping.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be upbeat and motivating to your associates, morning meetings are very beneficial!

Competitive Selling and good company to work for.

Commissioned Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsGood commissions, good competition and substantial hours. Creates good resume' reference. Easy closing procedure compared to past years.

ConsBetter to have strong back bone because selling competition is strong.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining could be better in regards to day to day processes.

Management Intern

Intern (Current Employee)
Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat experience. You learn so much by selling on the floor. Best internship I have ever done.

ConsA lot of work, about 50 hour weeks. Pay is almost all commission based, so you make money based on how good you sell. Also, employees can be quite competitive and mean.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, great job.

Not a bad job

Sales (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

ProsI feel they lay everything on the table. "Want to make a lot of money? Do this." "Want to build your career here? Here's step one." Generally, you will make more money here than anywhere else in retail. Most sales people are not overly aggressive, but you definitely will have at least one or two people on your sales team that you will have to keep watch of during slumps in business (ie before/after Anniversary, January and February). It's really not usually a big deal, though so don't sweat it too much. Returns suck but they really do give the customers a lot more confidence in buying, where you don't have that at Saks or Neiman's.

ConsIf you are on the sales floor, you need to sometimes smile and nod at management and continue doing what you know works. Policies and practices constantly change, and you will find that in many cases, they won't function in your department or city. Also, if you are on a growth path, be aware that the company's growth comes primarily from online and the Rack division. As such, quite a few leadership positions in the full-line division are drying up and the competition for those roles is very high. Like anywhere else, you will have a few eye-rolls when you hear about "So and So" getting promoted. A lot of it has to do with luck. Make sure to manage your money very well, as over the course of a year you will see feast and famine in your checks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever forget the plight of the salesperson!

Overall amazing company. Department management is where the issue lies.

Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for more than a year

ProsThis company genuinely cares about their employees. They were voted a Forbes top 100 companies to work for for a reason. Their HR department is always abiding by the "open door policy" in that you can walk in and talk to them about any issue or concern and they will ensure to follow through on carrying out a solution. They are always willing to assist employees in meeting their goals and moving forward with further career opportunities.

ConsMany of the lower price point departments tend to hire assistant managers that are young and somewhat immature. In my experience, they would often feed into drama which made the workplace feel immature and unprofessional.

PAY ATTENTION TO LOCATION

Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

ProsBeing a sales representative at Nordstrom is great if you need a non-traditional schedule. Great if you are a student or have children. Requested time off is easily given in most cases. Training is extensive (for retail) and there's plenty of downtime to learn the ropes.

As far as growth, it is easy to do with the right mentor and management. That is key within Nordstrom. If you have a Manager who you look up to, you should follow them at any location they get promoted to.

The sales associate role is strictly commission based which is great within the first six months.

ConsThe first and most important Con of working at Nordstrom are the INEXPERIENCED managers! Although every manger has a sales background most of them are not too savvy in the leadership area. This makes for a very upset team and lack of loyalty which in turn creates a high turn around rate. The turn around rate was so high in my department that half of my sales time was helping new employees.

The second Con is the return policy and fraud. Nordstrom is known for its amazing return policy and customer loyalty. But when it comes to protecting their employees against losses or fraud Nordstrom FAILS. For instance, when handling a fraud return (stolen merchandise, not purchased from Nordstrom, or purchased with a fake acct. or gift cards) the manager on duty will tell you to handle the situation by telling the customer one thing. But when the manager shows up to speak with the actual FRAUD customer they will let them get away with the act! This is because Nordstrom implements no return rules! So the employee gets hit with the fraud return at the end of it all. This is why its important to know about the area of where your Nordstrom is located. Fraud sales will ALWAYS hit you as a sales associate but the frequency will mostly depend on the LOCATION.

The third Con is the commission pay. Because of the faulty return policy after about the first six months you will get hit with crazy returns. Its your responsibility to make up your negative balance before you start to make commission. As with any commission based job it can be a great thing and horrible. In the case of Nordstrom, with their return policy (or lack thereof) its not such a great thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your management as leaders first then everything else. At my location the Management always looked overwhelmed and were scatter brained. It came in the way of them actually being able to build a solid team and leading them in the right direction.

Great retail place to start off at and learn the true meaning of customer service

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time for more than 3 years

Pros-flexible with schedule and hours
-decent discount
-room for growth within the company

Cons-customers can be demanding and rude
-commission based job

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your department reach its goals

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All 141 reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.