Nordstrom Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

2,863 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,862 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 124 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 232 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 117 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 177 reviews)

More Highlights

184 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company, you work hard for commission.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work life balance, lots of growth and good culture. Occasional additional discounts on merchandise.

Cons

not meeting your goals- working extra hard to make good money. You look at very customer as a dollar sign.Required morning meeting on a regular basis. Benefits ok.

high turnover rate, inconsistent- lots of politics involved.

Inexperienced Management and Lack of Employee Motivation

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When working in cosmetics, you got a lot of "gratis" items and are able to take home "Testers" pretty freely...
    You are able to make your own schedule, however I'm not sure this is a pro considering management often changes it for their own selfish needs or for the needs of "favorite" employees. Also there seems to always be an event going on in cosmetics which you MUST be present for. Good base pay and you have the opportunity to make a lot of money depending on how much you sell.

Cons

TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT. No support. Extremely inexperienced and self-absorbed. High turn over of all employees. Clicky, sharky salespeople, and a lot of bullies.

Do your job. Learn to actually "MANAGE" instead of creating personal vendettas against employees for non-work related reasons.

Personal Stylist staying busy

Current Employee - Personal Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, many opportunities to change positions and grow in company

Cons

Commission base pay, schedule, work- life balance

Switching weekends off for employees.

Opportunities endless, pay not quite adequate as a manager.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Personal growth...Nordstrom has Customer Service like I have never seen before. I use the tools learned there continuously throughout my career. So-So training. Starting out as a sales associate (later promoting to department manager) they kind of throw you to the wolves at first, but if you are a salesperson at heart, you will have no problem. Great opportunity. In a year and a half I was promoted to dept. manager, but way overworked, and way underpaid. I make more in my current role as a sales associate than I did as a DM.

Cons

Work-Life balance, but its retail so what do you expect. I really have nothing bad to say about the company at all.

Give your assistant department managers and department managers more selling time.

Nordstrom is an awesome company to work for. Takes retail to an entirely new, exciting level.

Former Employee - Salesperson in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Glendale, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is driven by your motivation and determination to sell. Which is nice because everyone gets what they work for. Also, I've always loved my employees and the "open door" policy that is instilled within the company.

Cons

Retail, in general, is a tedious and at times burdensome industry. Also, you almost always have to work weekends, which can get tiring.

Thank you always listening to your employees ideas and thoughts.

Positive yet competitive

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros of working for Nordstrom are that they care deeply about customer service and the well being of the employees. They like to promote people already working at Nordstroms to better positions and you earn good commission!

Cons

Because you are on commission, it can be a battle between you and your co-workers. More experienced employees are territorial and have "their own customers" so starting out is rough. You have to be ready to compete and stand your ground.

Great company

Former Employee - Personal Stylist in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Stylist in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are your own boss if you are willing and motivated to rise to the occasion. As far a corporations go, they really value the well being of their employees and it is reflective in the rapidity at which you can advance in your role. I was a Sales Associate (temp), Customer Service All Star, Pacesetter, Manager, Corporate All Star, and Personal Stylist all in under 2 years and before I turned 22. I have a 401K, stock in the company (still to this date), was rewarded with a 5 star paid vacation, and still have great relationships with my former colleagues. The potential at this company is far more than a surface 'retail job'. You can own a home, you can retire, you can take vacations...and all you have to do is sell clothing (if thats all you want to do), though there is FAR more potential if you seek more responsibility. The best part about this company is you can always go back to it.

Cons

Commission sales is definitely a challenging way to make a living, however it is an incredibly rewarding way to succeed. It teaches you how to become a self motivated individual.

Solid Place to Work

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Brea, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good management, great work environment, employee discount.

Cons

Competition from lots of other employees does make it a challenge to consistently hit quota and make enough money in commission to make a good living. If you are good at what you do, you can make a decent living. For real money, most people will need to go high into management.

I had great managers.

Very diverse and fun culture.

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Offers flexibility in schedule, working with people in various backgrounds, and great open door policy. It is a great opportunity to work with a team but keep your individual style.

Cons

Politics is high depending on which department you get assigned to. I just happened to have been assigned to a department whose manager is quite good, but listened to the assistant manager who I believe looked down on people. However, other employees who worked for a different department heads are quite happy.

I had a great experience during my sesonal job position

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company promote from within,you have a great opportunity for career growth, if you willing to work you will be rewarded

Cons

Shift that starts at 5 am could be difficult