Nordstrom

Nordstrom Reviews in McLean, VA

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation(in 109 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture(in 203 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children(in 95 reviews)

• You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time(in 158 reviews)

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales

Women Shoes (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat culture. A lot of opportunity to grow if you work hard.

Consits retail, commissioned based only. employees fight over customers

Overall a good company to work for.

Commissioned Sales Associate (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe benefits are good. The discounts are reasonable, most of the people are awesome. The company culture is wonderful. They promote from within. They carry some great merchandise much of it reasonably priced.

ConsTheir return policy is great for the customer but awful for the salesperson. Some sales expectations are unreasonable, especially in a down economy. Holiday hours are crappy for any kind of meaningful family time. If you are not a shark or barracuda type salesperson it is difficult to make a great living, especially with their return policy. Any customer could bring back any item even well worn old styles & if they had their receipt it didn't matter how long ago it was purchased it came out of your commission if you were the salesperson.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter 1 year returns should be eaten by the company, penalizing the salesperson for fickle customers is not employee friendly.

Decent job to work while in college especially if you are a go getter in sales.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsPay is about as good as can be expected while still in school. As a salesperson it is really up to you how much money you want to make.

ConsTrying to move up in management is tough. There is a lot of brown nosing that must be done to the right people. Hard work goes unnoticed a lot of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of promoting your buddies, look to see who is actually best at his/her job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I loved my job but the hours were long and there was no work/life balance

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat company and the pay was decent

Conshours-if you want to succeed in a comission environment you must work every weekend and holiday

The environment is fun, trendy, and encouraging

Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsHires from within, have opportunity to grow. Great team moral, very rewarding.

ConsMust meet goals and is commission based so there is competitiveness. But you should want to push yourself to succeed.

This was NOT an "internship" as advertised.

Intern (Former Employee) McLean, VA

Prosmake a lot of money if you sold a lot

Consanyone can do this job, definitely don't need a college degree- so why they have an "internship" that they try to trick well-educated students into entering is beyond me. i went to a top college and during the internship i was literally just working as a salesperson alongside highschoolers. Also, needing to work every weekend (in the summer, when I wanted to take weekend trips) was not fun. Surprisingly, even in the DC area, the fashion industry is full of vicious backstabbers.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more transparents and not so fake,

enjoyable atmosphere

Commissioned Sales Associate (Former Employee) McLean, VA

Pros-can be very rewarding
    -typically nice atmosphere
    -exciting if you love fashion

Cons-extreme micromanaging to a fault
    -too much pressure to meet sales goals, especially during slow seasons

Advice to Senior Managementless micromanaging

I handle the voice circuit

Voice Tech Specialist (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsI gained a lot of experience with voice systems.

ConsI don't see any cons on this job

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will not be disappointed hiring me because I have a great reputation, experience and education background for this position.

Great Company Culture

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Pros-"Use good judgement" rule
    -Unlimited earning potential
    -Able to sell almost anything in the store (not stuck in one department)
    -Get in what you put out
    -Employee discount
    -Selling contests

Cons-Constant schedule changes
    -Difficult to find work/life balance
    -No true base salary

Advice to Senior Management-Help your employees have a more fixed schedule with certain days off and closing/opening shifts

Prestigious company with great benefits

Sales Associate (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat HR team, friendly employees, wonderful environment, opportunities to grow.

ConsNothing to complain about. Great team of people to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep promoting good customer service among staff.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!