Nordstrom

Nordstrom Reviews in Palo Alto, CA

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation(in 110 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture(in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children(in 97 reviews)

• You work long hours consistently, and are not compensated for working over time(in 161 reviews)

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent management

Commissioned Sales Associate (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsDepartment manager was very supportive and always helped me do my job (sales). Great pay for retail, especially the August, December and January paychecks, i.e. right after the big sale and the holidays. Even if you have no experience, they will treat you well. You never have to get confrontational with customers. If someone is stealing, or doing anything shady, you just call a manager and they do the dirty work. On the other hand, you are empowered to do everything you need to do to help a customer, i.e. use cash register, process returns, price matching, take reward certificates. Also, because it's a higher end store, customers tend to be friendly.

ConsHard to make real friends because lunch breaks are staggered. Lots of good training on new products. If you want to be a manager or get a raise, you have to ask. (Just like most places.)

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sales Associate

ProsEmployee discount
    Commission salary
    The staff and management team try their best to train new employees

ConsWork really odd hours
    Don't give you break when it's busy

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more educated management oteam

Nordstrom is positively engaged with their employees and that reflects in everyone's attitude.

Sales Associate - Petites (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsSalary is very fair, especially with the commission, room for growth and very friendly management. I had an emergency during the middle of one my shifts and got zero flack about leaving and my department manager asked after me the following day.

ConsHours are irregular, night shift can last well past closing hours because some customers will stay past store hours, and sometimes there are territory battles since the pay is mostly commission based.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only thing I would say bothered me was the absolute ridiculousness of waiting for one customer to leave the store, once hours are over, lights and music should be cut and the customer should be graciously but firmly ushered to the nearest exit so the employees can leave as some of them have long commutes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good and bad

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Prosloyal customers, commission, benefits, discount, some managers,

Consteam, upper management, advancement can be impossible, returns

Sales Associate

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsPretty much nothing. If you are in high school or college with a limited schedule, this could be a good fit for you. No one can support themselves with the salary that Nordstroms provides.

ConsThey are commission based, everything gets returned. Near impossible to make $1,000 in 2 weeks minus taxs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the salary so you can hire people who know what they are doing, not high schoolers.

Not the best, but not the worst.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros- Employee shop day/discount.
    - Being able to see/get your hands on all the latest trends and merchandise first.
    - With a commission-based salary, your paycheck reflects how hard you work; you reap what you sow.

Cons- As with any retail job, the competitive nature of sales can get the better of you over time.
    - Customer returns are taken directly out of your paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough meeting goals and "making the numbers" are what the industry of retail is all about, please make more of an effort to at least pretend like you care about your employees.

Cosmetic Counter Manager

Cosmetics Counter Manager (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsIf you are committed and work hard you will have opportunity to move up within the Company.

ConsLong hours, pressure of making numbers, opening accounts, Inventory a few times a year .
    For the work you do they really under pay the hardest workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to recognize the truly dedicated workers and notice the ones that can make a difference instead of the ones who got in because of who they know.

Great company to work for!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat atmosphere, nice employees, make alot of money on commission depending on the department, health benefits, 401k

ConsDiscount is a little skimpy (20%), long shifts (it kind of becomes your life), returns

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more contests to encourage employees to sell more

Ordinary retail environment

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Prosemployee discounts, fun events, commission, job growth

Consstressful environment, constant changes, disorganized

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on organization!

Overall good experience, however I've experienced some pitfalls

Purchasing (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsRelatively moderate wages, atmosphere, interaction with others

Consinner politics among employees are disturbing

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-design employee retaining program

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!