Nordstrom

Updated May 29, 2014

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company to work for and with.

Logistics (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsGreat opportunities to earn commission. If you are able and willing to relocate many opportunities are available to you.

ConsMust be willing to live with the pressure to perform. Your co-workers are your direct competition. Constantly changing metrics push you out of your comfort level.

Not all that glitters is gold

Department Manager (Former Employee)

Pros+discount
    +good merchandise
    +best of the retail competitors

Cons+long hours "expectation" is always looming over your head
    +difficult co-workers
    +everyone is out for themselves - due to the environment that is created from commission
    +everyone I know (unless your in top 5-10% of sales within company) lives below the poverty line, but is encouraged to always be fashion forward

- As a manager you are pretty much told that not producing sales members but be let go. There is a total loss of individualism within the company.
    -NO PROFIT SHARING FOR THE 2ND YEAR A ROW...did anyone catch at one of the state of the company meetings they say "I am so happy to announce last year was highest sales as a company to date, but no money!
    -As a manger, there is 0 work life balance and to be honest, other managers of mine always seemed to hate their job but somehow stuck around
    -For the work load, expectation and over whelming work hours that are inevitable, the pay is not even close.

Ask anyone who has worked for Nordstrom for quiet awhile and I guarantee they will say the following:
    1. Nordstrom is not what it used to be
    2. They don't know how much longer they can do it
    3. They have seen countless good sales people and managers let go for mundane reasons.

Nordstrom needs to get their own head out of the clouds and go back to taking care of their employees and customers like they have been known for. It was shocking how happy and free I felt upon giving my resignation.

Fewer and fewer prospects for advancement

Sales Associate, Pacesetter, Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe money is pretty good and based on commission not hourly. Management is okay it changes by the hour they are always trying to reinvent the wheel.

ConsIn a commission based environment there are down times and you have to be able to roll with the flow of business and prepare for slow downs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn regards to scheduling by merit and ability follow though. I find that too often they still give to much credit to veterans who are preforming at the same level and work better shifts.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall great but hard work

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsLoved interacting with different people. The more people that shop, the faster your time goes.

ConsStanding all day, bending, lifting. Also dealing with catty sales people can be hard

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to not deduct commission from returns. I feel the sales people work hard to sell and get huge deduction to their paycheck if the customer returns puchases.

High pressured sales

Makeup Artist/Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsYou work in a beautiful store with beautiful people. Definitely, hire and promote from within, especially if you are young and beautiful ( you don't need any real substance or much experience ) if you are a selling machine you will make decent money.

ConsIf you love being micro managed to sell, make quotas, book and schedule appointments for event after event, pre sell for all of these events and open Nordstrom accounts 4X a month, then this is the job for you. Retail hours and they want to be #1 in your life. You won't get a schedule until the week before so don't make any plans ahead. Days off will be given only if all of your quotas are met, regardless of personal family requests. They are really hiring young hip looking people of all races, but not ages. If you are over 40 you will be looked over.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees have a life OUTSIDE of Nordstrom!!! Have some empathy for your employees personal life.

Great place to make money if you work hard and develop relationships

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsYou can grow your own business and do what it takes to help the customer.

ConsLong hours, benefits, and the lack of room for growth at the corporate level

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not try to reinvent the wheel.

For all the positive hype, every day get's a little more disappointing

Sales Person (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

Pros-Discount.
    -...
    -I have to enter five words? I can't think of any other pro.
    -I have some really great co-workers, and some less great ones. Like any other workplace.

Cons-Every perk you have ever heard about this company is actually a let-down.

-Discount? Well it is a pro, to an extent. 20%. When you have customers come in and spend $2,000 on clothes you feel a little pressure to try an look equally as put-together. Try doing that on basically minimum wage and part-time hours. Yeah... Most of my co-workers are in debt.

-Health benefits? Nope! Unless you meet the minimum hour requirements. Most employees do not.
         -BTW the requirement isn't even full time. It is, to average 129 hours every month over a 6 month period, which was recently changed from a 3 month period to be more attainable to the employee.
         -129/4 is 32.25 hours a week. Again, most employees do not qualify.

-Commission? Nope! I have made just over 12 dollars an hour over a two week period, once. But that was a freak accident. I have been with the company now for a year...

-Holiday Pay? Based on hours worked and average commission... Don't get your hopes up too high.

-PTO? Don't plan on accruing any until you have reached 1 year of service. Then the clock will start. At zero.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing because the rest of the world seems to have the wool pulled over quite well by you. You are making money and that's all that counts, right? Meanwhile, your employees live below poverty but don't qualify for gov't assistance and you get $400,000 bonuses. Great job.

Horrible lack of leadership and no consistency. Big goals HUGE pressure and it's never enough.

Cosmetics Counter Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFantastic benefits! Good health care and 401K

ConsIntense pressure, hard work not recognized, management changing so rapidly that promotions are hard to keep.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind good talent for management. Excellent sales person does NOT equal excellent management skills.

Great Internship with good benefits

Clothes Hanger (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsFun, cool peeps with forward thinking

ConsPantyhose. No one likes pantyhose.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo Pantyhose. Please no pantyhose.

Mediocre, would only do as a part time job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsCommissions can be high during sales

ConsHours are often not desireable

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes need to take a second look at how you compensate your employees during sales. Often times go the whole day with no lunch break during busy seasons.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings in Portland, OR — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.