Nordstrom Rack

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

3.6

Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
  • Good pay, decent employee discount, great team leaders MOST of the time (in 19 reviews)

• Great opportunity for growth if you want to take advantage of their career programs (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Nordstrom touts a healthy work-life balance, but at the store I worked at, it seemed like any other retail chain (in 8 reviews)

• There was a lot of pressure to open accounts and push for e-mail addresses from customers (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

Pros

Had great team members, organized stores and systems, there is room for advancement and small compensation for opening up new accounts

Cons

Very high customer traffic, customer is "always" right at Nordstrom, granted there are several who don't fit that criteria but don't talk back to managers or "defend" yourself. A lot to do with favoritism for advancing.

Good job but not for me

Current Employee - Shoes Sales Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Shoes Sales Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

10.65/hr. Coworkers are nice and helpful. Discount at the regular Nordstrom & Hautelook.

Cons

No training as to how to pick up telephone calls, using the mobile, and cash register. Learned all that basically on my own. Although coworkers were nice it seemed like they slacked and left their work with me. Hours were all over the place and took away all of my weekends and nights.

A more thorough training process. Sitting in front of a computer listening to our "orientation" was boring and I'm pretty sure no one listens to it.

Fun fast paced enviornment

Former Employee - Rover
    Former Employee - Rover

Pros

Fun fast pace environment, if you like finding good deals its a fun place to work because you can basically shop while your working. Nordstrom offers relatively decent benefits and the pay is decent to start.

Cons

Upper management doesn't move around to often and their is a lot of micro management as well as ill treatment towards employees that a blind eye is turned on. If you have interests in another job with the same company or outside they expect you to tell them and have there support before trying to move on.

Weed out crummy managers, maybe you'd have less turn over.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

People are all being very nice.

Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack  in  Flushing, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Flushing, NY

Pros

Great co-worker, great managers, great chance of promotion, nice company benefit, compatible salary.

Cons

Our store is a new open store, so besides the managers all the other staffs and co-workers are fresh new hired. So there might have many unknown situations we might have to face to, since most of us have no experience...

They are all really nice!

Fresno Rack

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Pros

Had some room for advancement. Had lots of hours.

Cons

If they didn't like you, oppertunities were scare. Store Manager is a pain the but. If you don't fit in, they'll look for reasons to fire you.

Moderately favorable

Pros

Great people to work with. Wonderful people. There are definitely great people who represent the values and culture of Nordstrom.

Cons

Certain people in leadership were unprofessional and didn't adher to the culture of Nordstrom. Certain people in leadership were allowed to belittle and humiliate the people who directly reported to them. This was not the norm, however the fact that this was allowed to continue from even one person was disturbing.

Listen and follow through on employee concerns.

Wonderful Experience

Current Employee - Stock Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Hours, Advancement Opportunities, And Hourly Salary

Cons

Overnight hours can be difficult at times

Encourage growth and advancement.

I love my job

Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack  in  Aventura, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Aventura, FL

Pros

I got hired fairly quick. I get played 10.45 an hour. The have health insurence, dental, and life. I get between 30 an 40 hours a week, which is amazing. I don't have to cover any of my tattoos, or take out my piercings, which I have a lot of. The managers are pretty cool. Also you get 20% off everything in the store.

Cons

Its just a lot of bending down picking stuff up, an putting things back, so after so many days of working you're pretty sore. But you get used to it eventually.

The training could have been better. I had to learn a lot on my own.

Really good place to work. Its like a family and you're always busy

Current Employee - Logistics Manager  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Glendale, CA

Pros

Good people, lots of opportunity to move up with so many stores opening up

Cons

nothing on this topic to report

Pros

Great starting pay and many opportunities for raise, there are no time requirements for moving up within the company, also Nordstrom tends to hire very good friendly people.

Cons

Work ethic is not always the driving factor with promotions, often times favoritism plays a large role in who moves up and often over-shadows hard work.

Worked for Nordstrom Rack? Contribute to the Community!