Nordstrom

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

(1,478 ratings)

2,227 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation"
    in 99 reviews
  • "The values Nordstrom instills on all employees makes them top notch in customer service"
    in 178 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is not always achievable or acceptable depending on who you report too"
    in 78 reviews
  • "Long hours can be burnout and there is not always a high focus on work-life balance"
    in 144 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good experience

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, loved the work environment, competitive, retail works on commission which is a good thing.

ConsThis might sound silly but when working at Nordstrom doing retail, as a shopaholic it was terrible for me because I would end up spending my entire paycheck on clothes there.

Fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOverall a great company to work for, and I have learned some great customer service skills. The potential to make good money is there, but you've gotta work for it.

ConsI felt like the lower management was always micro-managing. It could be a corporate thing, or maybe the department & managers I last worked with were just nitpick-y.

Great Company, not - so - great location

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Buford, GA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

ProsThe sales people and most department managers at Mall of Georgia's Nordstrom are truly the salt of the earth. Really great people, fun environment, surrounded by beautiful fashion.. Overall pretty cool.

Constant personal recognition. You'll always feel valued

Decent employee discount and opportunities to save more.

Freedom to sell from any department. You never feel like you are just a stationary sales person.

ConsMoving positions is often difficult if you are not meeting sales goals.

There was a lot of very obvious politics.

A large percentage of the store struggled with the ambitious numbers and it often times keeps you trapped in a low paying position regardless of past skills or qualifications.

Because mall of Georgia does not carry the larger names designer labels, it's a disappointment to customers who traveled from out of state to shop with the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that new principles are holding true to the traditional Nordstrom way of doing business. There seems to be far more micro managing now then ever. This takes away from the feeling of being an independent business.

Give all stores the same merchandise. Nordstom is a luxury retailer! When customers come to Nordstrom they expect a certain quality and it makes individual stores look inadequate to not have the same.labels as others in the same region. The clientele would come if the merchandise was there.

Stop making it difficult for people to move around in the company. You are losing people who WANT to work for the company but instead.are taking their skills and knowledge from Nordstrom to other retailers who value them.

Very nice place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nordstrom

ProsAmazing growth opportunity and very friendly work environment

Cons- depends a lot on your manager.

assistant manager

I have been working at Nordstrom

Prosearning potential, culture, growth, sales experience

Consgreat company but training can vary depending on managment.

extremely exceptional ethics and morals.

Department Manager (Current Employee)
Columbia, MD

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 5 years

Prosmake your own schedule, sell more, make more money. The ability to kind of do things your way

Consleaders who have no idea what they are doing. Restructuring occurred and leaders with little to no experience gained positions over seasoned managers. Also, managers were demoted during this restructuring.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest in decision making

One of the best places to work if you have drive and motivation

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time

ProsThe people that work there push you and the customers you create relationships with are great!

ConsSometimes it is slow and you need to work extra hard to reach you sales goals

Simply the best experience. Period.

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsI graduated with a bachelors degree and always knew I wanted to eventually end up at Nordstrom corporate. Everyone must start on the sales floor, and of course they should! You must be an expert on the product before you can be successful and progress within the company. And that's another reason why Nordstrom is so wonderful... They promote from within. With a bachelors degree and Nordstrom experience, the sky is the limit. It's just such a great company to work for.

ConsTakes some time to progress, but the trip is fun!

Advice to Senior ManagementMy management is super open and understanding. Keep up the good work!

life at nordies

Resident Artist (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work environment all ways rewarded for your good sales good for team building

Consnot compensated fairly compared to bloomingdales saks, or neimans

Great Company

Personal Stylist Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsLoved my position, it was great to work one on one with clients and learn under stylists without the stress of commission.

My schedule was drawn out a month in advance which was also really helpful to plan a life around.

ConsI wish it wasn't a holiday temporary position.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All 2,227 reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.