Nordstrom Reviews

Reset
3.6
Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom

Pros
  • They always promote from within the company (in 129 reviews)

• Great customer service training (in 238 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children (in 120 reviews)

• long hours that can be draining (in 184 reviews)

1. A great place to work, highly respected.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

It is a great company to work for. They take care of their employees and it gives you a feeling of personal success when you see peoples reaction to where you work.

Cons

It's retail so holidays are long and draining. It is cut-throat at times and if you work hard as a sales person you could potenntially make more than a department manager. Department managers make the bare minimum but once you put in your time the benefits are better in the end.

Advice to Management

better compensation for management.

A good place to get training, then move on to something better where you're treated like an equal

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

You will find some very motivated and smart people there, most of whom will stop anything to help the group or team to succeed.

Cons

There's frequently an atmosphere of too much competition among people who are supposed to be on the same team. There's competition among management and buyers and a "cliquey" social aspect that I found off-putting. Although not outwardly racist, I found there to be a lot of bias based on race and background.

Advice to Management

Listen to the "small" people as they're the ones who really know what's going on. Compensate the lower level more. Offer better incentives to work harder. The upper management gets bonuses, but the lower level folks on the floor and in the buying offices don't get much and they work just as hard.

3. Good job, not a great career

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

For sales, salaries have a commission component so compensation is better than at comparable stores. The is a store wide discount which unfortunately is not overly generous. In 2006, the employee discount was 20%, but it applies to all store departments. The corporate structure leads to more professional environment than working at a boutique.

Cons

The hours are not conducive to work/life balance, but this is a downside to retail jobs. The management isn't accommodating when building the schedules. Often it seemed to revolve around the manager preferences for vacation time. Also the training for sales and product knowledge is negligible.

Advice to Management

Provide associates with tools to succeed.

Avoid Nordstrom at All Costs

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Well, if you can be fake, you might have a chance of moving up.

Cons

Oh where to begin. The management is dangerously inexperienced and unqualified. My managers in my department used to leave the department, go to the high end clothing department, bring down a bunch of clothes, and try them on in their office. When we tried to page them to solve a customer issue they didn't answer. When there was a death in the family, they gave me the most unbelievable hassle to try and get ONE day off approved to attend the funeral. They are heartless, souless, and the favoritism that dominates the store is unbelievable. Also, you better be prepared to give up your life for store events and sales. The benefits suck and were actually downgraded while I worked there. It was awful.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone, start over. Closely monitor how your managers run their stores and departments and take employee complaints SERIOUSLY. Without your hardworking employees, you guys would be bankrupt the way you're running it.

6. Not happy but it could always be worse

Current Employee - Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Pay, compared to other Retailers Nordstrom is some-what flexible when it comes to scheduling. Each store has a different management team that will create a different experience from one place to the next. What I have seen is young, inexperienced management...I only hope to see improvement very soon.

Cons

Management is VERY "clicky", favoritism occurs, many employees leave on a weekly basis in tears over frustrations from the lack of support from management. An "I am better than you" attitude flows down hill on a regular basis. Very little direction or support from management, always want more more more....it is never enough!!!

Advice to Management

Become more "in-tune" with what is happening on the sales floor...don't draw conclusions on a persons value just by looking at the numbers. Develop & coach your lower level management team there is a lot of oppurtunity there.

It's a great place to start but no longevity

Former Employee - Buyer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Buyer in McLean, VA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

travel, benefits, able to make own decisions as a buyer, discount, love that they promote from within

Cons

pay is way off-within the industry & within the company between buyers, they tell you to balance work & personal life but don't actually let you do it, not enough support for buyers-not enough asst buyers, planners, etc & then they still expect you to travel & be in the stores & market; just spread you to thin & can't do the job you were hired to do.

Advice to Management

see downsides, as well as, reward people for results & loyalty

NORDSTROM IS THE PLACE TO BE

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clackamas, OR

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

The clothing and discounts. You will become so well known with clothing and fashion it is amazing. I loved working for Nordstrom I thought it really helped me.... plus employers always love to hear about Nordstrom. Great for resumes.

Cons

Nordstrom likes to take a lot of your time. It is a little difficult to get time off and the company really expects you to be 100% into the company. However it does allow you to obtain pride in your job..

Advice to Management

Try try try to stop all the cady girl talk.

Great place to launch a career in retail.

Former Employee - Department Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Great company culture. Employees are treated and compensated very well. Great benefits (medical, dental, 401ks, profit sharing, etc.) after you've been with the company for 3 months. If you're interested in climbing the corporate ladder, the skies the limit: Nordstrom essentially only hires from within, so everyone starts in sales and works their way up. Tremendous opportunities for growth within the company. Nordstrom hires great people - it's a joy to work with coworkers who are friendly, happy and dedicated. People LOVE working here. If you have to leave (like I did) you'll find it very easy to find a job with another retailer - everyone wants to hire former Nordstrom employees.

Cons

My biggest complaint is work scheduled (which is probably inevitable with any retailer). Hours can be tough, especially arond the holidays. You are essentially not allowed to take time off during the summer or over the holidays if you work in the stores. In one year with the company, I was only able to take 3 weekends off. This work/life balance changes some as you move into more senior positions, but never really goes away. Buyers are on the floor for the first few days of major sales. My only other thought is that you have to spend a lot of time on the floor before you can be promoted to corporate. I think some time on the floor is indispensible, but they should find a more efficient way to track people whose primary interests lay outside sales/managment.

Advice to Management

Find ways to promote talent through the sales ranks more quickly.

10. Good pay for retail sales, but at the end of the day

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

For the difficulty of work on the sales floor at Nordstrom, the pay is good and benefits are as well. Management is flexible and coworkers are typically pretty high quality.

Cons

It's retail sales...enough said. The holidays are horrible.

Advice to Management

Everything was pretty good as far as i could tell.

Nordstrom a decent place to work. Good pay, but there are it comes at a price.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

The pay is pretty decent and the employee discount is nice.

Cons

It is very hard to get time off and management does not treat all employees equally and fairly

Advice to Management

Choose your department managers and assistant managers wisely

Showing 50 of 4,172 reviews