Nordstrom

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom

Blake W. Nordstrom

(1,464 ratings)

2,202 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The company is opening many new stores and has a 'promote from within' philosophy"
    in 89 reviews
  • "The company place strong value on customer service and the training is outstanding"
    in 161 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is not always achievable or acceptable depending on who you report too"
    in 62 reviews
  • "Long hours can be burnout and there is not always a high focus on work-life balance"
    in 129 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sales Associate

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsPretty much nothing. If you are in high school or college with a limited schedule, this could be a good fit for you. No one can support themselves with the salary that Nordstroms provides.

ConsThey are commission based, everything gets returned. Near impossible to make $1,000 in 2 weeks minus taxs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the salary so you can hire people who know what they are doing, not high schoolers.

Worst job I have EVER had

Commissioned Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

ProsDiscount. Better use it before they fire you.

ConsThey will promise you enough hours to get insurance in the interview, but will let you go early every shift so that never happens. If you are not 20 and cute, forget about advancing. Be prepared to feel that every single day you can get fired. You are told that if you mis-draw too many times, you will be let go. However, this has nothing to do with how hard you actually work. Nordstrom customers will buy 10 things and return 9 of them, and YOU get charged back. You have literally no control over what gets returned, and you live and die by these numbers. I have come to believe that our customers are the rudest, most entitled creatures on the face of the earth. I was severely depressed every day until I made the decision to transfer out. Best choice I ever made, but the company itself is still awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your job before you presume to tell others how to do it.

Great for Customers, Horrible for the Employee

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Sterling, VA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for less than a year

ProsYou get to dress up and look nice. The discounts are great

ConsPay is horrible. There is a 12 month window where if a customer returns an item, it is taken out of your commission. This is totally unfair as the items in Nordstrom are very high priced and it really affects your paycheck. Especially if you work at a low-traffic store. The other associates are also very catty and very, very competitive. The management is horrible. They don't care about the salespeople but only about the department/store numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nicer in general! Especially the store manager. When I left the company, she wouldn't even give me eye contact. I left on good terms but the attitude I got from her was ridiculously horrible.

no work-life balance, leadership, or overall structure

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Prosnice discount, strong reputation, casual atmosphere where you can make mistakes and not be punished for them, good to have on resume

Conspay is inconsistent and how you get paid is all subjective based on favoritism rather than on true performance. leadership is lacking all around as being a leader is defined by how long you've been with the company rather than your actual performance. many managers have been with company for their whole career and hide behind their titles rather than actually support their people as they should. there is tons of hiring being done for senior and leadership jobs when you need more worker bees who are actually doing the day to day work that the business needs support with. no work-life balance and they work you like crazy without providing you any increase in pay.

Advice to Senior Managementhold your leaders accountable for their performance and how they get results rather than just on trying to meet financial targets. find out what your employees are feeling and ask for feedback as you would with your customers. give the employees a voice and at least let them feel like they are heard.

invest in technology that support your employees in getting their jobs done rather than pouring all your money into the wrong areas. think about the return on investment of your decisions and what is actually being accomplished with your money.

Nordstrom Rack, a miserable place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNot many, employee discount. Hourly rate is better than most retailers, however this gets offset when they cut your hours.

ConsHave a store manager that bases all of her decisions on blatant favoritism toward certain employees. I have worked in the same position for many years and always denied even the slightest promotion. Meanwhile, someone new can come in and a few weeks later get a promotion for doing absolutely nothing (other than perhaps kissing a** and being the same skin color as the manager).

The level of incompetence displayed by management is astounding. Not only is the store performing poorly, the managers always blame their subordinates for this. The store manager frequently complains that she has to stay late which is laughable since she usually shows up to work at least a half hour to a hour after everyone else. It is also acceptable for certain people to call out weekly. In fact, one person who does this just got an employee of the quarter award. Other than for the select few favorites, employee moral is extremely low.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about just once make an unannounced visit to our store? Every time you tell the store manager you're coming she puts on a show for you. This includes keeping us late the night before (sometimes until midnight), just to make the store look more presentable the next morning. Also, schedules are changed to have more people on the floor when you come to create the illusion that we are not understaffed when in fact we really are.

Don't Put all your Eggs in on Basket

Department Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRelationships with Co-workers and customers

Consinconsistent pay, inconsistent messaging from management. I was a customer service all star, pacesetter- top sales employee, and I was always asked for more. Doing your best was never enough. No work life balance!

Nordstrom is a great store for the customer however employment with this company is demoralizing.

Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

ProsThe management profile is great on paper.

ConsThe open ended return policy hurts the employees who are on commission only. Their technology causes a lot of mistakes which causes customer service issues. The removal of the customer service centers in the stores placed greater burdens on the employees who are evaluated on Sales Per Hour. Sales associates are spending more time taking care of customer issues.

Avoid Nordstrom unless you are seriously desperate

Department Manager (Former Employee)
Bloomington, MN

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCommissioned sales can pay very well, people in the store can become life long friends

ConsNordstrom, from the family on "up the pyramid" has created a cut throat culture that can be hard to work in. The store manager has far too much power and selects a few favorites then targets everyone else for termination or demotion. Department managers and salespeople come to work fearing for their jobs because of often unrealistic goals and whims of their superiors. Nordstrom is also very $ conscious, be prepared to unpack merchandise before the store opens without any air conditioning or heat, as those luxuries are reserved for customers

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture that is created when you only promote people that say yes will eventually lead to your downfall. The days of "running your own business" are long gone at Nordstrom, replaced with "kiss up to the right people and you will get ahead" The reputation that Nordstrom has about firing salespeople for no valid reason is spreading throughout the industry and will end up ruining the reputation of outstanding service that has been cultivated for so long.

Pay in the worst! All commission, and if someone brings merchandise back the money comes right back out of your paycheck

Sales (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours, good benefits if you can average 32 hours a week, if you don't they will drop you & you may never know.

ConsNo money & long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so mean!

Technical designer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nordstrom

ProsLooks good in the Resume, there are good, nice people in the teams, the product is exciting and beautiful.

ConsNordstrom product group: there is no respect for people, awful working condition, I don't understand how this co is rated so high, it seems that the sales associates are content, but not corporate employees. Just ask questions about everything if you are considering a job here.

Advice to Senior ManagementStudy management decision and how they treat their teams. Just see the turn over rate in the Nordstrom product group, survey people about how happy they are and what solutions they offer. It seems it that NPG used to be a good place to work over 5 years ago.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All 2,202 reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.