Nordstrom

3,057 Reviews

Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
1,978 Ratings

Pros
  • Also, this company likes to promote from within so that does add some motivation (in 129 reviews)

• People are generally representative of the Nordstrom customer service culture (in 238 reviews)

Cons
  • Variability in hours worked can make for difficult work life balance at times (in 120 reviews)

• The long hours and returns from customers abusing the companies return policy (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

Department managers SUCK

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

I liked my coworkers! Decent Discount!

Cons

The department manager SUCKS. She didn't work with any of our availability, knowing that 3/4 of her employees she decided NOT to hire extra people over the holidays so she worked all of us 80+ hours. I thought the first manager of our active department was horrible but I'd take her back anyday if I was still working there. This new manager doesn't know how to do schedule, lazy as hell doesn't give out schedule till a few days till 2nd half of month. She always barks at us to do tasks but she herself never does anything all she does is walk around and chit chat with everyone or the other dept managers. Like do something herself. And the department wasn't making the day and she kept complaining to us how we weren't making the day. But honestly we were there just as much as she is. I don't even know how she got promoted to a department manager. That was a HORRIBLE decision.

Train your dept managers, they suck!!!!

DO NOT WORK HERE

Former Employee - Luxury Sales
    Former Employee - Luxury Sales

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

I need five words - the building is nice.

Cons

Commission games (return worn merch and then removed from sales staff totals) , full time status games (good luck qualifying for benefits), They are streamlining - proceed with caution

Treat your people fairly, when returning worn merchandise, do not take it off commission totals. If you can't sell it again, the sales associate did their job.

Not really what you would call meaningful work. Not as bad as shovelling horse manure, but doing that may pay more...

Former Employee - Sales Person in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Person in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to get the job, actual work isn't complicated, any monkey could do it.
    Good as a placeholder job for kids until they find a better paid one (like McDonalds).
    Looks good on your resume.

Cons

Pay is terrible. Hours irregular, work life balance could be better. Discount isnt exactly stellar. Too many staff chasing too few customers.

Nordstrom top brass either pay a good min with no commission, or pay comission without having to get to a start line first. Organisation is top heavy.

Sales Associate

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Commission on sales was good, about 10%

Cons

Managers micro manage, very picky about small things.

sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you can make connections with the clients you help. You can also learn a lot of product knowledge working there.

Cons

The commission only based pay is horrible. You never know how much money you will be taking home at the end of the pay period.

they are also horrible, they do not care about their employees or their needs, just the companies.

Engineering group is beyond repair

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is perfectly acceptable to collect a paycheck and do absolutely nothing. I guess that is a pro to some people.

Cons

The majority of the engineering group is collecting a paycheck and doing absolutely nothing.

The engineering group is in disrepair. Far to many people, far to many policies and politics. HR protects lazy people, no clear leadership, the technology is horrific, outside of a few select groups the quality is embarrassing. I would encourage anyone considering working there to spend 30 minutes on the website. What you see is an accurate representation of the engineering group.

This is a place where you can retire at 30.

Create a new engineering team in a different location. Do not share any resources or transfer anyone internally (it's to risky). Have them rebuild the site - should take about 20 - 30 engineers about a year. Do not let anyone into upper management that does not have an engineering / cs background. Don't renew your 1000+ contracts. After the release of the new site allow the new engineering group to set the pace, if the 300+ remaining old engineers can not maintain the quality and transition into modern development, let them go. Sit back and watch how 50 devs can do the work that your 1500 did.

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

hire from within
    dress code
    discount at The Rack also
    recruit employees and if hired seek reward
    janitorial workers are kind

Cons

impossible sales goals
    favoritism
    lack of morale in store
    horrible employeee discount
    over staffed commission-based departments
    cut-throat environment
    lack of training for employees and management
    the company is not staying innovative enough to keep up with the advancement of competition

change the store environment
    listen to employee concerns
    hire qualified applicants
    do not under manage departments to cut back on expenses
    boost morale of stores
    more involvement from management

Unhappy in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Free water. Easy online employee website.

Cons

They expect you to move dangerous, extremely heavy equipment and merchandizing shelves, even if you're over 40 in heels

Intimidation and negative motivation = high turnover, miserable employees. 20% seriously?! If we earn gratis or contests, don't withhold it and be honest!
    The management used negative feedback, insults, stalking to intimidate employees. The customers also were allowed to abuse the employees. Worked until midnight many times then scheduled very early the next day with only six hoursbof sleep. My feet were constantly in pain since we were expected to work 9+ hours on our feet. Days off were for staying in bed to recover.

Humbling experience by all means

Former Employee - Lead Bartender in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Lead Bartender in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

benefits are excellent if you can work enough hours to maintain them

Cons

the longer you stay, the worse you will get treated. hours will be reduced to force benefit loss. expect to be mysteriously terminated when close to vesting milestones.

restaurant division is an unregulated and maverick division of the company. most of the time management spends in this division is eating free meals and chastising employees for poor sales performance. lunch dates are masked as "tastings", and are used as opportunities to demean employees while they are actively working to please paying guests

Be cautious!

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Good thing about Nordstrom is you get $1.00 an hour raise for every 1000 hrs. worked until you reach the cap.

Cons

There are many cons! Basically they used to be a good place to work until they started taking all the perks away. Nordstrom's basically treats people as If they are disposable unless you "kiss up" to management. Many of their management are young kids barely out of high school who have no previous management training, or public relations skills! If you belong to their "clique" you may advance, otherwise you really have no opportunities. They're quotas are unattainable most of the time and people have numerous injuries. Which brings me to another subject; Nordstroms has recently gotten their own workman's comp insurance co. which basically tries, and does, screw people out of benifits. They will drag their feet and make a person wait to have surgeries even when "their doctors" say you need it! Also, I had to use my savings while I was off because they kept giving me the run around about it being "short term disability" when they had been paying all my dr's visits & mileage! Then when I got back to work and went to HR and told them I had called workforce about it I got fired! Then they made an excuse why they fired me so I was denied unemployment benifits! After working for them for 10 yrs. Also, if you are an employee and buy any of their products and try to return them, you'r just basically out of luck. The kids that they were hiring in the past year were down right scary, with piercings all over their faces and tatoos, with very distasteful appearances. People I would normally cross the street to avoid because they look like they belong in a gang. Also, they show favoritism to certain employees. There are many other problems with the place, but too many to list.