Nordstrom Reviews

3.6
Nordstrom President and Director Blake W. Nordstrom
Blake W. Nordstrom
2,477 Ratings

Pros
  • They always promote from within the company (in 129 reviews)

• Great customer service training (in 238 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult at times especially if you have children (in 120 reviews)

• long hours that can be draining (in 184 reviews)

4,068 Employee Reviews

1. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience, good background experience, great customer service

Cons

Commission causes a inconsistent paycheck

2. Sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monterey Park, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monterey Park, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefits, flexible hours, management,

Cons

no base salary, unpredictable pay, low commission rate

3. Sales Associate

I worked at Nordstrom part-time

Pros

Great company with greater employees. Loved learning how to be successful from coworkers themselves.

Cons

I did not appreciate the hostility of some employees when it came to getting commission sales.

5. sales

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom (More than a year)

Pros

It started out as a really great company to work for. Howerver, if you are not one of the manager favorite (pets) you will loose your hours, position, pay rate.

Cons

It would be very hard for me to want to work for another nordstrom or retail company for that matter.

Advice to Management

Take care of your emplyees

6. Nordstrom Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate Cosmetics
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Cosmetics

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with great people Okay Pay Store matches your contribution up to 4%

Cons

Shifts They should pay more for the amount of sales goals you have to achieve Luck of the dice on who your Dept Manager will be Goal are high

7. Great for highschool kids

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Novi, MI

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Building relationships is fun, you get to be independent with pacing yourself and making your money. HR has an open door policy, everyone is very helpful. There is room for advancement within the company.

Cons

Commission isn't enough, you suck up to customers for a $400 check at the end of the pay period. When your customer makes a return it counts against you.

Advice to Management

Pay should be Hourly plus commission. Some days are good, some aren't, but it's not fair that employees get penalized for a customers return.

8. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in La Palma, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in La Palma, CA

I worked at Nordstrom (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company benefits available to employees

Cons

Holiday Seasons were the worst

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice to management

9. Retail Sales

Former Employee - Retail Sales in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales in Tampa, FL

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Work in Fashion. Freedom to provide exceptional customer service.

Cons

Low pay. Non-standard hours. Slow traffic of customers.

10. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, DE

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun job. Amazing co-workers and great people you work with. Decent 20% employee discount. You learn a lot about the fashion industry. Commission-based so there's unlimited potential if you work really hard.

Cons

Sometimes long hours. Occasionally stressful since pay is based on sales performance. Sales can occur by chance instead of skill or ability; just have to be in the right place at the right time at times.

Advice to Management

Incorporate a base hourly wage along with commission. Base could be lowered along with the commission percentage (ex. $5 per hour with 4% commission rate).

11. pretty good

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay depending on the department you're in. Overall, this is a fun and easy job if you like fashion. Fall/winter and July you can make a lot of money. Most departments are entirely commission, with different rates. When you start you can not make less than $9/hr, so even if you have an awful pay period with few sales/lots of returns, you WILL still get paid. This increases fifty cents about every six months, stopping at $10. I have seen some people with higher minimum rates who have been at Nordstrom for years and years, but I'm not sure how the system works. 20% discount company-wide is nice. You get it at the full-line stores, e-bar, cafe bistro, and Nordstrom Rack. Sometimes they even offer a higher discount to encourage employee shopping. After working 1000 hours, you start accruing paid time off. Your PTO rate is your average hourly rate from the past few months, including commission. My average PTO rate is about $13/hour. It's always awesome being able to take a paid day or two. Nordstrom also offers decent health insurance from what I hear (I'm still on my mom's) and a pretty good 401(k) plan. It is relatively easy to become a manager, if you're into that. If you're offered a position in another city, Nordstrom pays for the move.

Cons

retail hours. If you open you work 9:20-5 or 6. Other shifts are 10-6, 11-7, 1-close. When you close you usually get out by 9:30 but that is not guaranteed as WE DO NOT KICK SHOPPERS OUT. Latest I have gotten out is 10:15. Sucks if you take public transportation like me (that bus leaves at 9:52 with or without me). You will be working every weekend. You will be working nights. People will talk down to you (customers, not necessarily co-workers). Commission is CATTY. Especially in women's shoes. Most of those women hated me my first six months just because I was new and not familiar with the unwritten rules of commission. Paychecks are twice a month, NOT every other week. there is a difference. Mine are usually deposited on the 4th and 19th, but if the 4th is a Saturday it might be delayed until Monday. This SUCKS when you've had a couple rough pay periods and are behind on bills/grocery shopping.but prepare to make the $9/hr rate from January to March. Returns count against you for up to a year (there is no return policy. We essentially take EVERYTHING back, worn or not). If you have a rough pay period with few sales and lots of returns, you will be paid $9/hr.

Advice to Management

be more careful about who you hire and actually enforce standards. I'm sick of hearing, 'use your best judgement,' all the time when most people have poor judgement, and then you don't even call them out on it. It really gives Nordstrom a bad rep.

Showing 4,068 of 4,227 reviews